Whilst we don’t cover Shangri-La Golden Circle much on Head for Points, a lot of readers have Jade status in the programme as part of their American Express Platinum charge card benefits package.
Shangri-La has only a limited presence in Europe via its luxurious properties in London (in The Shard) and Paris. It has a large presence in Asia and also operates the lower priced Traders, Hotel Jen and Kerry brands.
Your Jade status will get you:
- 25% bonus base points
- “Priority upgrade to the next available best room category, if the reserved room type is not available at check-in” (I have no idea what this is meant to mean – it appears to mean you are guaranteed not to be downgraded)
- 11am check-in and 4pm check-out (not guaranteed, and many hotels including London and Paris do not offer it at all)
- choice of welcome amenity
- free breakfast
- partner stays free, in hotels which charge more for double occupancy
This tends to work out well for anyone planning to travel in Asia. The 4pm check-out, if ‘available’ and as long as your hotel is not on the excluded list, is handy. All you are guaranteed is the free breakfast and a welcome amenity but overall I think you could do quite well from the benefits above if your hotel was playing ball.
Get extra benefits during Golden Circle’s 8th birthday
Golden Circle is turning 8 and celebrating with a number of bonus points promotions.
Until 18th November you can:
- Earn double points on stays booked for check-in by 18th January
- Earn double points when you eat or use the spa (as a non-resident) at any Golden Circle hotel by 18th January
- Earn 250 bonus points with your first app booking
- Earn 350 points when staying at two different brand hotels
- Earn 500 points on stays of 5 nights or more
- Earn 888 points when staying at three different hotels worldwide
You have to register here prior to booking in order to qualify for any of the above promotions.
This promotion is surprisingly generous when you remember how much a point is worth.
Even though Shangri-La has a limited presence in Europe, it is still worth picking up Golden Circle points. 500 points gets you a $50 food and drink voucher and there are worse things in the world than popping into The Shard when you are in London for a free afternoon tea or a couple of cocktails.
Alternatively, you can convert your points to Avios or various other airlines at 1:1, although this is substantially poorer value (by a factor of 6-8!) than taking vouchers.
What is the small print?
The main double points offer applies to the base points of qualifying stays and incidental charges. It applies at any Shangri-La, Kerry Hotel, Hotel Jen or Traders Hotel.
250 bonus points will be awarded if you book via the Shangri-La mobile app and have never done so before.
The latter three bonus points promotions are part of an eight million points giveaway:
350 bonus points will be awarded after staying at two different brand hotels. This could be just one night at each.
To earn 500 bonus points you need to stay a minimum of 5 nights, but this can be multiple stays across different hotels.
If you stay at three different hotels, you will get 888 bonus points.
You have to register and book via this website, the Shangri-La app, the official telephone reservation hotlines or directly at participating hotels by 18th November. Stays must be completed by 18th January.
Hotel offers update – June 2021:
Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.
Want to buy hotel points? There is currently a special offer running with Marriott Bonvoy (30% discount to 20th June), Hilton Honors (100% bonus to 8th July) and World of Hyatt (30% bonus to 25th June).