HFP EXCLUSIVE: Get an extra Hotels.com Rewards free night credit on your next stay

Starting today, Hotels.com is once again offering Head for Points readers an exclusive promotion code to help boost your Hotels.com Rewards account.

And, unlike many Hotels.com promotions, this one is valid on virtually every property on their site – including all branded hotels.

When you make a booking at Hotels.com by 3rd March 2019, you will receive one free extra credit in Hotels.com Rewards. The minimum stay required is 2 nights. You can only earn one extra credit per account via this offer.

hotels dot com logo

If you book a stay of two nights, it will count as three nights towards the ten you need for a free night. A stay of three nights will earn four credits etc.

If you are working your way towards a free night but are a little short, this offer could push you over the line quickly and release the ‘locked in’ value you have built up.

Why we like Hotels.com Rewards

A lot of people end up, by choice or by default, splitting their stays across a number of different hotel chains and vacation rentals. They do a lot of nights, but never enough to build up status or a decent number of points.

For these people, Hotels.com Rewards is a better way to go.

Punchcard hotels.com

Hotels.com will be familiar to most readers. It is a huge hotel and vacation rentals booking portal covering pretty much every corner of the planet.

You won’t find Hotels.com much cheaper than booking a hotel directly, although you can get special ‘member only’ deals when you are logged in. Silver and Gold members receive VIP/VAP benefits like free breakfast, money off a spa treatment or else.

Price is not a reason to use them.  However, the majority of the properties on the site count for ‘Hotels.com Rewards’ (295,000 properties, which is about 10 times more than all of the ‘big six’ loyalty schemes combined!)

Hotels.com Rewards (their home page is here) is an idiot-proof loyalty scheme:

You earn 1 credit for every night you stay, whatever the chain and even vacation rentals

When you have got 10 credits, you get a free night

The value of the free night is the average price you paid for those 10 nights

Your credits don’t expire as long as you collect or redeem at least one night every 12 months

There aren’t any catches when you redeem. There are no blackout dates and you can pick any property on Hotels.com that takes part in Hotels.com Rewards (ie most of them).  You can pay the difference if you want to book a hotel which is more expensive than the value of your free night voucher. You do have to pay taxes and fees.

There is a lot of upside here:

ALL of your stays (assuming the hotels or vacation rentals you book are in Hotels.com Rewards and most are) will count towards free nights. No more ‘wasted’ stays.

Your free night can be used to book any room on Hotels.com. Most reward schemes restrict the ability to book club rooms, suites, family room etc. That is not a problem with Hotels.com Rewards.

When travelling, you are free to stay at the hotel which is most convenient for where you need to be – no need to mess around with badly reviewed properties or out of the way hotels purely to find one in your favourite chain.

If you book multiple rooms, you get credit for all of them. Most hotel loyalty schemes restrict you to earning points on one (IHG), two (Hilton) or at most three (Marriott) rooms per night.  Note if you book a vacation rental with multiple rooms, eg a 2-bed apartment, you will only get one credit per night.

The only snag is that Hotels.com bookings do not count for points or stay credit in the loyalty scheme of the chain where you are staying. You may get your status benefits but it is down to the goodwill of the hotel.

If you are booking independent hotels, or hotels chains where you do not collect their points, Hotels.com could make sense.

How do you get your extra Hotels.com Rewards free night credit?

The good news is that this special Head for Points code can be used at virtually any hotel or vacation rental that can be booked on the Hotels.com website that is eligible for Hotels.com Rewards. There are no restrictions on what chains can be used.

Here is the process:

Stage 1:

Visit Hotels.com via this link, or any other link in this article. The code will only work if you visit the Hotels.com UK site via a link on Head for Points.

Stage 2:

You must log into your Hotels.com Rewards account before booking.

Stage 3:

Select your room, which must be:

• a pre-paid one
  • for a TWO-NIGHT or longer stay
  • completed before 4th September 2019

Stage 4:

Enter the code RWD1H4PA19 when booking as shown below (you might need to click the image to enlarge).

As you can see the punch card on the left shows two Rewards Nights.

Hotels.com hfp offer

Once you’ve applied the code, the punch card will show three Rewards Nights as you can see in this screenshot:

Hotels.com hfp offer

If you don’t see the price breakdown with the bonus free night added to the punch card, the code hasn’t been applied properly. This could mean that you’ve visited Hotels.com via a third party and not via a link on Head For Points.

The last day to book is Sunday 3rd March.

You can only claim one free night credit per Hotels.com Rewards account.

The value of the extra HFP night credit will be average value per night for your stay.  If Night 1 was $90 and Night 2 was $100, you will receive three credits in your Hotels.com Rewards account for the value of $90, $100 and ($90+$100/2) $95 for the 3rd credit.  When you’ve reached 10 credits, the value of your free night is the average of the 10 credits.

What is the small print?

You can find the full T&C’s on this page of the Hotels.com website. There are no major exclusions or issues, however.

It might take up to four weeks for the extra reward night to be added to your account, but they usually arrive immediately after your stay.  We have run this promotion a few times over the years and never had any problems.

The last word ….

We’d like to thank Hotels.com for making this offer available to Head for Points readers. If you collect Hotels.com Rewards free night credits, or you think that this is a good time to start, an extra credit will give you a good push towards your next free night.

World of Hyatt launches a new points promo - but also a lot of category changes
What do you do when BA suspects you of selling Avios and closes your account?

IHG

Comments

1. It’s a good offer, but I already have a similar one as hotels.com seems to hand these out after every stay.

I joined 2 years ago and will finally get to 10 reward nights next week – but I will only have stayed 6 nights to get my (mostly) free night.

2. Shoestring says:

From time to time, you can get a double whammy, ie the hotels.com 1/10 free night credit + a little something extra (Williams & Glyns). Eg offer is on now.

3. David Lewis says:

Unless this is very different from what hotels.com does fairly frequently, this offer is not nearly as good as it seems. I am sceptical of the assertion in the article that the “the extra HFP night credit will be average value per night for your stay.” My understanding, discussed on the phone with hotels.com, is that the third night is actually worth nothing except another tick in one of the ten boxes. So Night 1 may be $90 and Night 2 $100, Night 3 will be zero, giving an average over the three nights of $ 66.66. The offer will get you nearer to filling your fidelity card of ten boxes, but reduce the average you will have to spend when you make it to 10.

• I used this offer from HFP before and the extra credit was awarded at zero but Rob had previously said it should credit the same as the other 2 nights. He or Anika had to intervene to get the extra credit.

• I’ve used the regular 2 night credit offers. This is/was not the case.

• I’ve got confirmation from Hotels.com that ‘the value of the free night is the average price of the 10 reward nights earned’
        Note that this is specifically for our exclusive offer. Any other similar Hotels.com offer might have different T&Cs.

• If you only have used this sort of offer once then it will be the average price of 9 nights rather than 10. So your night 3 may be £0 but the average will be calculated by dividing by 9

4. Can Thisbe stacked with avios awarded through BA online shopping portal (gate 365)?
    Hotels.com is a partner on that site (usually 4-8 avios per £1 spent)

• No. Look at the Ts&Cs

Hotels.com – “This coupon … cannot however be used in conjunction with any other promotion on Hotels.com, whether offered by a third party or otherwise.”

BA – “If you use a voucher code (including codes by Hotels.com) or a gift voucher to make the booking you will not be eligible for a reward.”

5. I agree that this is a good loyalty scheme, however, I don’t think that it is ‘idiot proof’, nor can your reward always ‘be used to book any room on Hotels.com’. Some hotels are not in the reward scheme, and you cannot use the reward if you choose to pay at the hotel. You don’t get a reward night if you use any of hotels.com’s own discount codes eg 10% off (although that amounts to the same thing in the end – 10% off one stay or 1 free stay in 10). Also the reward amount does not include taxes and charges so it is easy to unwittingly lose some of the reward value if you are not careful. And the reward value is only taken off one night of a multi night booking so you need to make sure you are getting the true value.

It is worth adding that you can earn Avios as well by going through the avios website (not for the HFP offer I imagine) although the full headline avios earning rate doesn’t apply if you take advantage of the hotels.com rewards scheme.

• Actually 10% off is better, as with the reward scheme you basically get 11 nights for the price of 10 which is 9.1% – but exchange rates and taxes complicate things

6. I’d guess not as it clearly says you must click through from HfP.
    Hotels.com are quite shrewd at limiting the multiple promotions that can be applied at one time. I think they want to let you have a max of about 13% whichever way you go about it (because of the tax etc a hotels.com reward night isn’t quite 10% in my calculations).

7. “You won’t find Hotels.com much cheaper than booking a hotel directly … Price is not a reason to use them”

I disagree. I almost always use Hotels.com. For example, NYC Lexington Hotel, 9th to 13 May.

Marriott – £808 (excluding “resort” fee)
    Booking.com £936
    Hotels.com £677

• Shoestring says:

Yep not sure where Anika got that idea from – far cheaper to book on hotels.com in many instances than by going direct.

• TGLoyalty says:

Contacting the hotel directly might get you the same price

• TGLoyalty says:

1 free night is 10% return. I regularly get 10% return in points from hotels at my personal valuation. Not to mention I usually use them when I’m getting much more than my personal valuation.

Upfront vs haggling is a genuine plus but so is the upgrade I normally get from IHG/Hilton/Marriot etc I don’t get via Hotels.com

• Conversely I’ve recently found hotels.com more expensive than going direct at some places.

Hotel 1: £60 hotels.com £34 direct

Hotel 2: £60 hotels.com (no non-refundable option offered) £47 direct non-refundable £57 direct refundable

However, there is potential use from the hotels.com scheme.

• Marriott rate of £808 if the rooms are identical and have same cancellation policy to Hotels.com rate of £677 you should be able to price match with Marriott for 25% off the Hotel.com rate

• Hotels.com “secret prices!!!” can be significantly cheaper sometimes. If not booking a chain I always check both, sometimes hotels.com is more by 10% so I just book directly, but other times hotels.com has a special offer probably because they bulk bought rooms in the past or something like that

8. John, can I ask….what is the value of your ‘free’ night, ie £50 ?,and is it based on your 6 paid nights or averaged over the 10 stays ?

• Well it’s slightly complicated, some of them are doubled, so it’s like I stayed 2 nights paying the same rate for both nights, but actually only stayed and paid once. The other “extra nights” have N/A as the value.

So it’s (N1+N2+N2+N3+N4+N4+N5+N6)/8 if that makes sense.

9. What if I booked something yesterday!!! Missed out?

• Yes, sorry. Promo runs until 3rd March so something else may come up you can book.

• Can you cancel and re-book?

• If it was a cancellable rate it could be worth it. We sometimes book cancellable then rebook non-refundable nearer the time if it is still cheaper once plans are finalised. Also been known to cancel and rebook when there is a double Avios deal.

10. I just tried using this for the Conrad Algarve but got the error “Sorry, that coupon code can only be used for a specific promotion” so I am guessing that one excluded.

• Did you try to book a non refundable rate and at least two nights? Was the stay before 4th September 2019? I just checked the weekend 15th March, applied the code and a third stamp was added to the punch card.

11. I much prefer Hotels.com to booking.com or Kaligo. I took advantage of the HFP recent Kaligo offer suggestion and it was hugely overpriced by over £20 for the night I booked and the Hotel wasn’t accurately described. Maybe my mistake for being swayed by getting the 2000 Avios points bonus. I won’t be using Kaligo again. I’ve been using Hotels.com for many years now and have Gold status – I checked out whether the discounts I’m offered as a Gold status were genuinely a good saving and they are.

• That’s the issue with Kaligo…fine, if you’re not paying the bill.

• Shoestring says:

Kaligo is for people on expenses

• The lack of VAT receipts makes that tricky for UK and EU stays.

• Shoestring says:

Actually now I think about it, that’s why my wife sez no.

You don’t need a VAT receipt to charge a hotel against expenses, though – if no VAT was paid, you can’t claim it back, so the hotel is more expensive for your company etc – doesn’t mean that the expense cannot be claimed.

But yeah, beancounters in Accounts expect a VAT receipt.

12. Hotels com is a great scheme, my go to default. The only downside as I see it is for work it’s not good as there are issues with receipts and VAT. For personal I really like it, make sure to use the free nights for ones costing almost the same amount, obviously less is just wasting part of the value, but too much more is also bad. If you offset £100 free night reward against a £200 night, you’re paying £100 and getting no value from that towards the next free night.

• TGLoyalty says:

Hotels.com is my go to when I’m not using chains I have status with and this was one of the reasons i didn’t use 3 rewards nights for a while. Decided to just bite the bullet because who knows how long the site will be around. Much better if they gave you partial value for the amount you are over the free night award.

13. I too use Hotels.com quite frequently – currently I am gold though that won’t be repeated this year as I’ll have far fewer hotel stays in total this year. I recently made use of their price match guarantee for the first time. I was expecting a fight but they responded overnight with a nicely worded email accepting my claim and refunded the difference almost immediately. I have been impressed with their customer service, both in that instance and when cancelling a non-refundable room due to illness, when they were able to cancel the room without charge. Shame I don’t have any rooms to book right now, having had a bit of an organising splurge a couple of weeks ago.

• In terms of customer service my one big faff they were superb. Arrived late and tired into hotel (more time share resort) in Orlando, no balcony as per the description. Ask hotel for a room with balcony as specified, they said they had none and I should resolve with hotels com. Phoned them up, very apologetic. Offered to call me back with solution in 20 or 30 minutes. Agreed but thought that’ll be it. Few minutes later they called back, said the hotel couldn’t move me, so they’d either rebook me into a room with a balcony elsewhere at their expense, or if I would remain in that room they’d refund the 4 paid nights fully. Really wanted balcony but was tired, said I’d just stay there. Refund came, as good as their word. I was Gold with them but no idea if that was a factor, as their status’s seem to bring little hard reward.

• They’ve been pretty good with us. We’ve had a couple of gripes with hotels, including one which decided to change the check out time to an hour earlier after we’d booked and notified us on arrival for a 3 night stay. I emailed hotels.com from the hotel; they responded almost immediately and made the hotel honour the original checkout time. Always keep a screenshot of your original booking conditions!

• I had an issue in Phu Quoc where I booked a room with a private pool and when I arrived there was no private pool. It turned out that the hotel only had 2 rooms with a “private pool” and this was a shared pool for the 2 rooms. I declined to move to this room at no cost as the pool wasn’t private.

Hotels.com did then move me to another (far better) hotel but charged me 50% of the difference. When I complained about this I got another £60 back so I think I was still a few hundred quid out of pocket for a 3 night stay. Not a bad experience but could have been handled so much better as they admitted the room stated private pool when it didn’t have one. The other hotel (Fusion Phu Quoc) was incredible, so it was worth the hassle and extra cost in the end.

Earlier in the same trip I was walked from a 4* to 3.5* hotel in Siem Reap and hotels.com refunded the full 4 nights.

14. Slightly OT
    To those who gave me advice yesterday about booking a night at a hostel in Vietnam via hotels.com thank you, it worked.

15. I have the same issue too, have read T&C’s as far as I can see everything is correct, so don’t understand why it doesn’t work.

Rob – any suggestions you could help us with please?