How you can earn Virgin Flying Club miles at Waitrose

Our other article today includes ways of topping up your Virgin Flying Club account.  One of these ways is earning miles at Waitrose.

I realised that we haven’t actually mentioned this partnership for almost two years, and it is possible that a lot of Head for Points readers don’t know about.

Via a deal with Virgin Atlantic, you will earn miles in Virgin Flying Club for every £1 you spend in-store at Waitrose.

Waitrose Virgin Flying Club miles

The earning rate varies by account, and seems to change based on how much you spend at Waitrose and how your spending pattern fluctuates.

For purchases under £20, you earn a flat 1 Flying Club mile per £1

For £20+, you need to log in to your Virgin Flying Club account and check.  I am currently earning 3 Flying Club miles per £1 until 26th April.

This is, for £20+ purchases, more miles than I would earn at Tesco via Clubcard (1 Clubcard point per £1 which converts to 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles).

This would also allow John Lewis shoppers to buy Waitrose / John Lewis gift cards in Waitrose and collect the extra miles.

This offer is part of the Virgin Atlantic in-store shopping scheme.  To sign up, you need to visit this page of the Virgin website and register your credit cards.   Make sure you register your partners cards as well if they are also likely to visit Waitrose.

If you don’t already have a Virgin Flying Club account, you may want to sign up purely to take advantage of this deal.  At the very worse, you can redeem 12,500 miles for a £50 voucher valid at many Virgin Group companies or for Theatre Tokens.  It is also worth remembering that you can transfer Virgin Flying Club miles into Hilton Honors points (at 2:3) and IHG Rewards Club points (at 1:1) with a minimum transfer of 10,000 miles.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

How to use small orphan amounts of miles and points - Part 2 (Airlines and Shopping)
How to use small orphan amounts of miles and points - Part 1 (Hotels)

Hilton India and SEA sale

Comments

1. O/T- Is there a way to pay now on Hilton, trying to take advantage of the Amex Credit for a September stay but the cheapest (Honors Semj-Flex) or any other options appear to be book now, pay later.

• Lady London says:

book then phone the hotel and ask them to take the money upfront

• Interesting, didn’t know they do that for semiflex, I’d only tried it for prepay before (where they all vary how far in advance they charge the card).

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Use the advance discount rate, if you want the cheapest rate and are fully committed to the stay. However, Lady London’s suggestion is an interesting idea, as in theory you’d retain flexibility. I wonder though, how easy it would be to get a refund say ten months down the line, if exercising the right to cancel.

• PaulC says:

Does advance discount paid online work as it clearly states in the T&C’s “Offer excludes online payments and is only valid on checkout spend”
        I need a hotel in Edinburgh in August for the Edinburgh Tattoo and obviously everywhere is expensive including the Holiday Inn’s and Travelodge’s so Id rather pay a little more and stay in a Hilton especially if I can get £75 back which could make it cheaper than the hotels previously mentioned.

2. Qwerty Bertie says:

Regarding the Virgin points at Waitrose, do they sell Tesco giftcards? I know that may sound strange, but then Tesco sells John Lewis and Marks & Spencer…

If they do, then the full tally of the game per pound spent, culminating in using the Tesco giftcards normally, would be:

X points, where X equals normal reward for spending on whatever card used to purchase giftcards
    + 3 Virgin points
    + 1 Clubcard point

If just after Virgin points, that could be a total of 7 Virgin points per pound for Tesco shopping/purchases in store, plus a load of spend towards a voucher on the Virgin+ card.

Tesco giftcards last five years…so why not go and get £15k to £25k worth tomorrow? 🙂

• TGLoyalty says:

Take me a lifetime to spend that much in Tesco if I’m excluding fuel

• Qwerty Bertie says:

You could include fuel, but of course that would bring down the Clubcard earning rate. 50% isn’t it for fuel?

Could purchase electronics and assorted nik naks in store, not just groceries and booze.

I wonder if it’s possible to use them to purchase/convert to other company gift cards, picking up the Clubcard points on the purchase.

3. So when I register my Virgin MC for Waitrose, do I get points from both the shop and the card spend?

4. Chris Cannon says:

Great news on Lidl deal. Will stack with Sunday times voucher for £10 off £40 spend

5. Nigel says:

OT: does anybody have experience of the Hilton Points Pooling feature? Do you happen to know how long the transfer usually takes? Thanks.

• Peter 64K says:

About 5 days I think. Done it several times, very simple. Each account needs to be open over 90 days (or was it 30 days?).

• Mark2 says:

I have just transferred some to my sister and it was two days but YMMV.

6. Thomas O'Brien says:

I have registered my cards but the only offers I can see are, spend £80 and get £20 back. I cant see anything about 1 mile per £1??