Virgin Money

Bits: Amex now accepted at Lidl, how to earn miles at Waitrose

News in brief:

American Express is now accepted at Lidl …

Last year American Express finally partnered with Aldi.  It seems that Lidl did not want to be left out, and American Express has now agreed a deal with the German chain.  Amex is now live in all UK Lidl stores.

Meanwhile, a ‘£5 off £20 spend at Lidl’ cashback deal has appeared on a lot of cards overnight.  You will need to save the offer to your card to take advantage – take a look at your online statement page.

Waitrose Virgin Flying Club miles

… and don’t forget you can earn Flying Club miles at Waitrose

Our main article today includes ways of topping up your Virgin Flying Club account.  One of these ways is earning miles at Waitrose.

I realised that we haven’t actually mentioned this partnership for almost two years, and it is possible that a lot of Head for Points readers don’t know about.

Via a deal with Virgin Atlantic, you will earn miles in Virgin Flying Club for every £1 you spend in-store at Waitrose.

The earning rate varies by account, and seems to change based on how much you spend at Waitrose and how your spending pattern fluctuates.

For purchases under £20, you earn a flat 1 Flying Club mile per £1

For £20+, you need to log in to your Virgin Flying Club account and check.  I am currently earning 3 Flying Club miles per £1 until 26th April.

This is, for £20+ purchases, more miles than I would earn at Tesco via Clubcard (1 Clubcard point per £1 which converts to 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles).

This would also allow John Lewis shoppers to buy Waitrose / John Lewis gift cards in Waitrose and collect the extra miles.

This offer is part of the Virgin Atlantic in-store shopping scheme.  To sign up, you need to visit this page of the Virgin website and register your credit cards.   Make sure you register your partners cards as well if they are also likely to visit Waitrose.

If you don’t already have a Virgin Flying Club account, you may want to sign up purely to take advantage of this deal.  At the very worse, you can redeem 12,500 miles for a £50 voucher valid at many Virgin Group companies or for Theatre Tokens.  It is also worth remembering that you can transfer Virgin Flying Club miles into Hilton Honors points (at 2:3) and IHG Rewards Club points (at 1:1) with a minimum transfer of 10,000 miles.

How to use small orphan amounts of miles and points - Part 2 (Airlines and Shopping)
How to use small orphan amounts of miles and points - Part 1 (Hotels)

Comments

1. GeoffB says:

Your link to the Virgin Atlantic in-store shopping scheme did not work. I logged on to the Virgin website, found 3 shopping partners then a few other partners but nothing related to Waitrose. Can you help please?

2. Andrew says:

I’ve a permanent 5% cashback (on purchases over £20) through my employers benefit scheme at Waitrose.

I can layer that with the regular 5-10% cashback, through using my Halifax Account Card.

3. Shoestring says:

!p Avios back on IB, the max 200K + 100K bonus limit we’ve seen before

300.000 Avios for EUR 3601

= £3104 = 1.034p

until 24th April

• A few days ago you were suggesting 0.42ppa via Tesco mobile was too high for you 🙂 But I get that this can work.

• Shoestring says:

Well, not for me – but I post for other people to see if it works for them.

Tesco mobile is at best messy but cheap & not many points – this one is up to 300,000 points @1p, so not that bad – and easy as giving your credit card details & pressing buy

• Tesco mobile is simple when avoiding their website and app. I did three more yesterday, it is less tedious than 3V cards used to be although would love to welcone that mind-numbing tedium back. I had a whole carrier bag full of them 🙂

• Shoestring says:

yep as I said yesterday you took out the faff factor – thanks

pls post it again & I’ll email it to myself this time 🙂

should be good for a few 0.4p points

• AndyGWP says:

I made a note at the time, so to save BJ’s fingers (and because the pair of you have saved me a lot of time and effort over the years)….

“As Spurs states web, and app, are a PITA, ignore them. Sim comes with 20p credit. Pop it in your phone and make an unanswered call to activate, then call 282 to add clubcard, then 4444 to top up with a £20 voucher. It’s simple”

Only things I would add are:
          1) If data is enabled on the phone when you switch it on, it’ll gobble up the 20p before you’ve even unlocked your phone (don’t think that matters though)
          2) You must buy the voucher in store to use the above method… I used one of my £30 Christmas saver vouchers, and bought a bottle of wine whilst to hit the full amount (didn’t realise you couldn’t get change from the Christmas Savers)

• Shoestring says:

cheers 🙂

• TGLoyalty says:

Brilliant thanks for the tip BJ and the repost Andy

• Thanks Andy. @Shoestring @TGLoyalty, just to add, LadyLondon reported an issue with some Sims not having 20p credit on them. If you get them in store pick up the sims with rocketpack on front eith three circles showing data allowance for each top up value. I’ve use those every time with no problems.

• Optimus Prime says:

Is the Tesco website the only way to cancel the Rocket Pack auto renewal?

4. Simon says:

OT: if you still have the 10 off 20 beer52 amex offer then this is ideal:
    18 beers for £20. A one of / no subscription pack. It was a mse offer which supposedly sold out but I did it last week and it arrived in a couple of days.

5. Mr(s) Entitled says:

OT: RFS – Apologies in advance, I checked the RFS article from 3/19 but I can’t see it mentioned in that or the comments.

I want to book two RFS tickets. The second person is not in my Household Account. Do I need to bring them in (with complications of Avios being spent proportionally) or can I go down the Friends and Family route.

When I tried a dummy booking the drop down only let me select members of my Household Account hence my assumption that there needs to be some BA Exec link between us to make this work. My intention is to pay for the tickets, not share the cost.

6. Any way I can convert my Virgin miles into Marriott points?

7. Scallder says:

FYI you can’t split transactions at Lidl across multiple cards. Tried to do £50 with the Sunday Times coupon and 2 Amex cards for £30 but no dice…

• David says:

Can’t you just tell them to stop scanning at the till when you hit each target?

• TGLoyalty says:

You can’t or the cashier doesn’t know how? Seems strange how do they do £10 cash and £10 card etc ?

• The_real_a says:

I have had this. They can do card and cash but not card and card. Happened so many times that I can believe its the terminal rather than knoelwdge.

8. OT

In terms of the two free lounge passes I got when I got my gold card, can I use these free ones for me and a guest. Or are the free passes for my use only?

Traveling with a companion for the first time since getting the card and wanted to get us both in.

9. O/T- Is there a way to pay now on Hilton, trying to take advantage of the Amex Credit for a September stay but the cheapest (Honors Semj-Flex) or any other options appear to be book now, pay later.

• Lady London says:

book then phone the hotel and ask them to take the money upfront

• Interesting, didn’t know they do that for semiflex, I’d only tried it for prepay before (where they all vary how far in advance they charge the card).

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Use the advance discount rate, if you want the cheapest rate and are fully committed to the stay. However, Lady London’s suggestion is an interesting idea, as in theory you’d retain flexibility. I wonder though, how easy it would be to get a refund say ten months down the line, if exercising the right to cancel.

• PaulC says:

Does advance discount paid online work as it clearly states in the T&C’s “Offer excludes online payments and is only valid on checkout spend”
        I need a hotel in Edinburgh in August for the Edinburgh Tattoo and obviously everywhere is expensive including the Holiday Inn’s and Travelodge’s so Id rather pay a little more and stay in a Hilton especially if I can get £75 back which could make it cheaper than the hotels previously mentioned.

10. Qwerty Bertie says:

Regarding the Virgin points at Waitrose, do they sell Tesco giftcards? I know that may sound strange, but then Tesco sells John Lewis and Marks & Spencer…

If they do, then the full tally of the game per pound spent, culminating in using the Tesco giftcards normally, would be:

X points, where X equals normal reward for spending on whatever card used to purchase giftcards
    + 3 Virgin points
    + 1 Clubcard point

If just after Virgin points, that could be a total of 7 Virgin points per pound for Tesco shopping/purchases in store, plus a load of spend towards a voucher on the Virgin+ card.

Tesco giftcards last five years…so why not go and get £15k to £25k worth tomorrow? 🙂

• TGLoyalty says:

Take me a lifetime to spend that much in Tesco if I’m excluding fuel

• Qwerty Bertie says:

You could include fuel, but of course that would bring down the Clubcard earning rate. 50% isn’t it for fuel?

Could purchase electronics and assorted nik naks in store, not just groceries and booze.

I wonder if it’s possible to use them to purchase/convert to other company gift cards, picking up the Clubcard points on the purchase.

11. So when I register my Virgin MC for Waitrose, do I get points from both the shop and the card spend?

12. Chris Cannon says:

Great news on Lidl deal. Will stack with Sunday times voucher for £10 off £40 spend

13. Nigel says:

OT: does anybody have experience of the Hilton Points Pooling feature? Do you happen to know how long the transfer usually takes? Thanks.

• Peter 64K says:

About 5 days I think. Done it several times, very simple. Each account needs to be open over 90 days (or was it 30 days?).

• Mark2 says:

I have just transferred some to my sister and it was two days but YMMV.

14. Thomas O'Brien says:

I have registered my cards but the only offers I can see are, spend £80 and get £20 back. I cant see anything about 1 mile per £1??