25% discount if you buy Marriott Bonvoy points

You have your first opportunity to buy Marriott Bonvoy at a discount since the scheme launched in February.

Via this page of the website, you will save 25% on all points purchases until 15th May.

You can buy up to 50,000 points per year, which will cost you $468.75 (£360) under this offer.

My rule of thumb is that a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p so this offer is not great at 0.72p per point.

However, you might find it worthwhile if:

you are topping off your account before making a points booking, or

you are planning a stay at a property where you know you will get outsized value

The snag with Marriott Bonvoy is that the annual points buying cap is too low to allow you to exploit the deal.  The St Regis New York, for example, can easily run to $1,300 per night including taxes, which makes 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points a great deal.  The problem is that you can only buy 50,000 points per year.

The link to buy is here if you are interested.

Buy Marriott points at a discount

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

How Amex Membership Rewards members can buy miles for up to 50% off
Top 10 reasons to get the Tesco Clubcard Mastercard

Comments

1. Qwerty Bertie says:

On the topic of Priority Pass holders being turned away with the excuse that the lounge is full, has anybody experienced it outside of the UK?

• No – I’ve used it at Nice and Hamburg with no issues, but 2 times out of 3 have been refused at Manchester.

• Yep the Alaska lounge in LAX, every single time, never made it into that lounge yet

• Lady London says:

Alaska is famous for that and very recently it also became official that Alaska lounges no longer accept pp at all in several key locations.

After hearing more about what is Amex’s medium term strategy for the UK so we can understand what’s going on I would most like to hear from Priority Pass about their strategy going forward especially with these lounges that are clearly delinquent so far as pp users are concerned – Gatwick and Manchester being particularly famous on here. Pp seems to not care but it certainly takes away from the value of Amex Plat in the UK where this keeps happening.

• Collinson, who own PP, are launching their own Club Aspire lounges to help here. That is the difference between Aspire and Club Aspire – PP owns half of a Club Aspire.

• Lady London says:

Not been in many Aspire lounges but the few I have been were not very good and tbh not an aspirational experience. No. 1 Gatwick and T3 are about my minimum standard that I’m OK to pays for. Perhaps Club Aspire will meet or exceed No. 1 standards?

Come to think of it, Collinson seems an interesting business. Would be interesting to find out which direction they think things are heading over all.

• Collinson also owns a big loyalty consultancy, owns a lot of insurers inc Columbus and runs online shopping sites inc the BA and Virgin ones.

I had lunch with the founder last year at his invitaton, fascinating guy.

• Lady London says:

Very very interesting Rob. They must be making a lot of money selling data then. And i think it’s privately held? Collinson sounds like a really really interesting business.

2. o/t – I seem to recall a very generous taxi/minicab offer on here a few months ago but can’t for the life of me find it, am I going senile? If not, could somebody point me in it’s direction or does anybody have any other offers? Going to Heathrow tomorrow and don’t fancy the Picadilly line at 7am on Easter Sunday.

3. Thanks Lumma – just checked and unfortunately I don’t have it. Also noticed that by walking to the bottom of my street and from SE to SW I would have saved £20 on my fare, which still makes it a relatively attractive option.

• Louise says:

Wheely have a 20% off for first ride referral code, my code is UNJDG if it helps

4. Doug M says:

Wheely are great. I think Blacklane are the airport specialists.

5. Alex D says:

OT: Interesting Amex offer on my BAPP, send £1500 on BA and selected partners and receive an extra 1500 Avios up to three times.

• Sandra says:

Just checked & I have spend £500 with BA or travel partners (quotes Avis and Marriott as examples) on my BAPP and receive 500 extra Avios up to 3 times until 15/7, so obviously different targets are being given & calculated via some sort of average spend criteria. Wasn’t there yesterday when I checked to see if my £5 Lidl rebate had credited (it has).

• Thanks. Can you post the full list of partners from the small print please? Neither my wife nor I has this.

• Idrive says:

There is no proper full list of partners at least i could not find it: the offer quotes BA flights and holidays, Marriott International- European Locations, Avis and Heathrow Express.

• I have Spend £3,000, get 3,000 Avios version.

Terms:
          OFFER TERMS
          Offer only available when you spend £3,000 or more at any combination of participating Avios partners from 15 April until 15 July 2019. Participating Avios partners include British Airways flights or holiday packages, Marriott International European Locations, Avis and Heathrow Express. See participating locations for Avis here and Marriott International here.
          For Avis, Heathrow Express, British Airways and BA Holidays, spend must be made in Great British Pound (GBP) on the British Airways American Express Card to which the Offer is saved, including an American Express Card loaded into a mobile payment wallet. For Marriott, spend can be made in Great British Pound (GBP), Euro (EUR), Swedish Kroner (SEK) or Swiss Franc (CHF) and will only be rewarded if the spend threshold of £3,000 (Great British Pounds (GBP)) is met. Should the amount charged not meet the spend threshold due to a fluctuation in the exchange rate the statement credit will not be rewarded. Offer does not apply to spend on other Cards you might hold and is not valid for transactions made using third party Payment Aggregators or travel agencies.
          This promotion is intended for UK British Airways American Express Cardmembers only. 3,000 Avios will be rewarded per UK Card up to a maximum of three times. This offer only available to Cardmembers who save the Offer to their Card. Rewarded Avios may be reversed if qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled. This Offer only applies to those Cardmembers who were targeted. This Offer will not be valid for any other Cardmembers or product holders.
          Spend must be billed to your Card account by 30 June 2019 to be eligible for this Offer. Avios should appear on your billing statement within five days from qualifying spend but may take up to 90 days from 15 July 2019.
          For full Offer Terms and more details about statement credits click here. By saving the Offer to your Card, you agree to the Offer Terms.

Links:
          Marriott https://merchantgeo.secure.force.com/selectsImage/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?retURL=/selectsImage/apex/selectsImage&file=00P0c00001EmFJJ
          Avis https://merchantgeo.secure.force.com/selectsImage/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?retURL=/selectsImage/apex/selectsImage&file=00P0c00001AyaIi

6. Richmond says:

I took Lufthansa to Hong Kong in premium economy for £550. Change in Munich was painless, just a few gates to walk, no security or passport check. Cabin was half full and very comfortable. However if it was full, I would feel trapped in my window seat. Seats are reclining quite far and big arm rest in between the seats make you feel enclosed. Short haul flights were in Y tariff so I got decent amount of MM miles.

Also, I noticed that bags are weighted at Heathrow before some flights. I saw it on flight to Frankfurt but not to Munich, probably depends on the gate and staff. Don’t count on taking too much stuff. I was lucky that they didn’t check bags at Munich gate, otherwise I would have to check my carry on.

• Useful, thanks!

Doing LHR-FRA-HKG-FRA-LHR in PE on LH in July – £400 return thanks to Amex £200 off £600 and the LH sale!

• reddot says:

May I ask what is the £200 off £600?

• It was an offer some of us received on Amex cards – spend £600 via Amex Travel and receive a £200 statement credit. It was targeted. It ran just before and then again after Xmas if I remember correctly.

7. BA should have done this codeshare extension last year for the World Cup travellers as two of the cities hosted games, incl England. But better late than never.

Tip: Anapa is a lovely seaside resort, especially for kids, since Soviet times. My mum worked there one summer and the sea is shallow and very warm with all infrastructure in place

• Felix Flyer says:

+1 for Anapa. When I visited for a conference, I was told it markets itself as “Children’s City” as it is so child friendly. Not managed to take the family there yet but could yet do.

8. LewisB says:

OT – has anyone successfully recieved a self referral bonus since the AMEX changes?

9. Anyone got the Wheely offer working more than three times?

10. O/T Is the referral bonus limited to 90k membership reward points per membership reward account or per card? I have platinum and gold business.

11. O/T, any thoughts on best seats (for 2) on BA A380 CW cabin? LHR – SIN flight.

• Waddle says:

Top deck 53A/K would be best for window and direct aisle access. Close to the galley though so might be some noise and the B/J aisle seats next to them are standard where someone in 52A/K will be climbing over the footrest.
      Bottom deck 14E & 14F would be good for direct aisle access and being able to sit next to each other and no one is climbing over you. These seats can come with cots and are often reserved until the last minute for people with babies.

• Yeah 14E is blocked off at the moment. I Usually go for seat like 10 B and D – both from facing, either side of aisle, with bulkhead at front with nobody to climb over (or be climbed over). As I don’t have any BA status these days I am debating the merits of handing over cash or Avios to reserve. With it being the A380 I would like to be upstairs, last time I was in Biz was on Emirates where whole upstairs was biz class, very quiet.

• Waddle says:

More storage upstairs too. Be careful with bulkheads though. There are reports of people bashing into them as they walk to the loo or galley and light streaming through a poorly drawn curtain disturbing sleep.