BA Sale

See Queen’s Club tennis with Emirates Skywards

Emirates Skywards is offering tickets for the Queen’s Club tennis tournament in London for the 2nd year running.  This is the traditional mens event which runs immediately before Wimbledon.

It runs from Monday 17th June.  Standard tickets are priced from 7,500 Skywards miles to 10,500 Skywards miles per person.  VIP hospitality packages (for sale for cash by Keith Prowse for £1,200 inc VAT for two) are available at 30,000 to 40,000 miles per person.

My wife and I went last year on a VIP package. I can’t remember what we paid in terms of miles.  However, the value is questionable at 30,000 Skywards miles each, which I’d value at £300, given that you can redeem for the tickets on their own for 75% fewer miles.

(My biggest gripe was the Emirates group itself.  There were probably 16 of us, of whom two were Emirates hosts and 12 were travel agents on a jolly, invited for free by the airline.  My wife and I were sidelined during the lunch, which was on one large table.  In contrast, if you go to an Arsenal game using miles, virtually all of the guests in the Emirates Box are Skywards members on redemptions – and virtually all of them are HFP readers!)

Queens Club tennis with Emirates

If you were moving points, transfers from American Express Membership Rewards to Emirates Skywards are usually instantaneous.  However, your accounts must already be linked for this to happen.  Unfortunately you cannot see availability without having the necessary miles in your account so I wouldn’t risk making a speculative transfer from Amex.

Full details are on the Skywards website here.

How to earn Emirates Skywards miles via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Emirates no longer has its own UK credit card.  However, you can earn Emirates Skywards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Emirates Skywards miles.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Emirates Skywards miles.

Earn 1,000 bonus Avios on your Marriott hotel stays in Europe
British Airways running 747's on domestic services for a day!

BA Sale

Comments

1. Derek Scott says:

Could the 747 Domestics be linked to the new Uniform Launch due this Summer? If rumours are to believed, the new uniforms will be “classic” in design with a heritage vibe, so if flying the heritage livery 747, this could make sense

2. Sam G says:

I was on a full Amsterdam 747 sub a few years back when they were clearing a backlog due to fog and we got a drink from the bar and pretzels – was a bit of a fun challenge for the long haul guys who are used to a different pace on their usual runs!

3. OT: Anybody know if we can use Heathriw Rewards shopping vouchers to buy branded gift cards from WHSmith or other retailers?

• Rooster says:

I hear Dixons has a good returns policy 🙂

• Thanks Rooster, unfortunately not an option for me as I’ll be out the country for over 21 days.

4. Graham Walsh says:

OT Did a chat with Amex via the App and asked to downgrade from BAPP to Blue card, they said call the New Card Team between Mon to Fri. I’m thinking this is a different chat to the Web chat as I’ve downgraded before online I think.

• MarkH says:

Think it has always been the case that upgrading/downgrading on the BA cards is just a new application after which the existing card is auto-cancelled as you can’t hold both.

I’ve done it twice – first time I tried on chat but they said they couldn’t do it for me so I called the new card team to apply. Second time I simply made the new application online.

5. Jonathan says:

Does anyone know if it’d be worth booking a mini-city holiday departing on the 25th August, simply because it would be the day that BA celebrates its 100th birthday, and there might be something special going on across all their flights ?

Maybe some complimentary food and drinks for all passengers?!?

6. John Whatley says:

The great British public love this size and type of aircraft, almost in the same way that so many people loved the Vulcan bomber when it was allowed to fly.
    Size does matter.

7. Ebony414 says:

I would love to fly 747 she a beautiful aircraft
    Wonder what’s cost for those seats?

8. B747’s from all over the world are on their way to the scrapheap indeed and I think that many of the enthousiasts appreciate that once they’re gone they will be gone forever. I know that KLM had a surge in bookings on their MD11 operated flights before they were pulled out of service forever and it’s farewell flight was fully booked well in advance.

9. Tom Cook says:

OT – got a 4k MR bonus on my plat if spending £350 at Hilton by the 31/8/19.

10. I’m surprised you’re questioning why someone would be so keen to fly a domestic flight on a 747. Why WOULDN’T they be? It’s the queen of the skies. A lot of people can’t afford to fly a 747 route so this is a fantastic opportunity for them. For me, I would do it purely for the fun factor. I doubt people are booking it in the hope of having any kind of extra service.

A few years ago for NCL’s birthday BA sent a 747 for the LHR route as well. It was just cool!

• Michael says:

+ 1

It’s something different and unusual. Good PR for BA too when a 747 pitches up at Newcastle.

11. I for one am hoping to fly once more on a B747 just for fun before the last of these beautiful aircraft is grounded for good. Now in my early 60s I spent my 20s and 30s commuting on them !!