BA sale

Collect Flying Blue miles or use Accor hotels? Here’s a new way to earn and spend

Le Club AccorHotels, the loyalty scheme for Novotel, Ibis, Mercure, Sofitel etc, and Flying Blue, the loyalty scheme for Air France and KLM, have launched a new partnership.

It is a genuine improvement and EVERYONE benefits.

This is a clear win for anyone who either flies on Air France, KLM or HOP! or stays in Accor hotels.  You are going to be better off in the future.

You can find full details, and register, on the Accor website here.

How does it work?

This is going to get a little complicated, so let’s start with a simple overview:

Air France KLM new Accor hotels partnership

Yes, as it shows:

When you stay at Accor hotels, you will earn 1 Flying Blue airline mile per €1 – on top of the Accor points you would usually earn

When you fly with Air France, KLM or HOP!, you will earn 1 Accor hotel point per €2 – on top of the Flying Blue miles you would usually earn

You can only be better off by registering for this offer.  As far as I can tell, there is no downside.

There is a tiny bit of small print on the Accor offer.  Stays at their low end brands (Adagio, Adagio Access, ibis, ibis Styles and Mama Shelter) earn miles at lower rates.

Accor Flying Blue Air France KLM partnership

You can also now transfer Flying Blue miles into Accor points

You have always been able to transfer Accor points into Flying Blue at the rate of:

2,000 Accor points = 1,000 Flying Blue miles

However, you can now transfer the other way too:

4,000 Flying Blue miles = 1,000 Accor points

Don’t get too excited about this.  Accor points have a fixed value of 2 Eurocents each.  There is no ‘reward chart’ – the points cost for a night is simply the cash price in Euro multiplied by 50.

This means that you are swapping 4,000 Flying Blue miles for a €20 Accor hotel discount.  This is just 0.5 Eurocents per mile, which is VERY poor.

Sign up even if you have ZERO interest in the other scheme!

Why?  Because:

in the worse case scenario, an Accor guest can take the Flying Blue miles earned and convert them back into more Accor points

and a Flying Blue frequent flyer can take the Accor points earned and convert them back into more Flying Blue miles!

Accor Flying Blue partnership

There is a launch offer too

Once you have linked your two accounts:

You receive 1 Accor status night and 5 Flying Blue XP status points on your next Accor stay

and

You receive 1 Accor status night and 5 Flying Blue XP status points on your next Air France or KLM flight

Again, the ability to get these sign up bonuses means that any Accor or Flying Blue member who is chasing status should sign up for this, irrespective of their interest in the other partner.

Here is the page to register your accounts, which need to be linked – click here.

Flying Blue Accor partnership

How to earn Flying Blue miles via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Air France and KLM do not have a UK Flying Blue credit card.  However, you can earn Flying Blue miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Flying Blue miles.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Flying Club mile.

Interesting anomalies in Avios reward pricing you can exploit
Radisson Rewards family room redemptions .... a good deal or not?

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. I’m assuming that this means an accor stay will extend the expiration date of FlyingBlue miles?

• David D says:

Generally, any activity on your Flying Blue account will ensure your expiration date is reset, so I would suggest that it does extend it. I’ve not seen any update to the Flying Blue T’s and C’s to suggest otherwise. Of course, if you hold any of the status levels from Silver upwards this is a moot point as having status means you do not lose your points for inactivity. Admittedly, this is only beneficial to those with Platinum for Life status who fly very infrequently using their Flying Blue account.

• Thanks David.

• Mikeact says:

I stand to be corrected, but I thought it used to be either a KL or AF revenue flight only that was required for expiration reasons. It certainly used to be.

• David D says:

I was basing it on having not earned from a flight previously and only through a partner such as Accor Hotels as this extends partner miles only. You are correct in saying for all miles to be extended for two years you need to take a paid for Skyteam flight, so not just a Flying Blue carrier paid for flight.

• marcw says:

Not really. Flying Blue separates miles depending whether they are flying miles or partner miles. Miles obtained from flying can only be extended by flying. Partner miles can be extended by flying or with partners.

• Charlieface says:

Makes this actually a good deal for flying miles which will expire anyway

2. ChrisC says:

Must dig out my old flying blue account number.

That extra status night might come in handy too as I might be a little short with accor nights this year.

3. Lalit says:

What happens if you credit to another airline (say Delta). Do you still get the Accor points?

• David D says:

From reading the details in the T’s and C’s last week, it needs to be an AF, KL or A5 operated and ticketed flight. Therefore even if you were flying on an AF ticket on a DL flight this would not be eligible for the initial bonus XP or eligible night and you would not receive the Accor points for your flight too.

• Lalit says:

I meant more what would hallen if I added my Delta number to a KLM operated flight. But good to know the other way round.

• David D says:

As that is not part of Flying Blue, you would not be eligible as your Delta Skymiles account and Accor account would not linked in the same way.

• Lalit says:

Makes sense. If I saw this on the Flying Blue site I would have assumed that but because all the info was on the Accor site I thought there may be a loophole. Thanks a lot!

• Lady London says:

Interesting. I have suspected for a while that Virgin Flying Club numbers might actually be being issued on the Delta scheme infrastructure. Wonder how that would work if schemes like Accor ant to be able to distinguish Delta numbers from AF and KL in SkyTeam. , i cannot see Virgin scheme merging with AF KL scheme if so, likely cross credit etc if Virgin numbers really are Delta numbers?

4. TigerTanaka says:

This is a good initiative and the extra 10XP on offer will help me retain FB gold for another year. Strangely there appears to be no deadline for when the flight or hotel stay must be taken to get the 5XPs. I will tick the flight off this week but will need to book an Accor stay at some point this year.

Marriott/United and Hyatt/American also have similar tie ups – maybe BA is looking at linking up with a hotel chain as well?

5. roger says:

OT- Amex Platinum

A lot of Amex Hotel (Usual Amba, Thistle etc.) have appeared in Amex Platinum.
    Wish the Amex Travel offer returns soon!

• Good call Roger, I regularly forget to check my offer page and there are some decent offers on there today for a change. I’ve got Sixt Ride on there as well, which I’ve not heard of before. Has there been any reviews of it on HFP in the past that I’ve missed? I would be keen to get the views of people who have used it as it sells itself on their website as a worldwide product.

• Alex M says:

Used it yesterday on my ride from Heathrow- the cheapest option was conveniently £60.48. Experience identical to uber. Interestingly, the driver did a sales pitch to promote uber’s competitor called Kaptain and said all their rides are half price in June (and also that they have more cars than uber in my part of London which i dont believe is true).

• Thanks Alex

• They are in our building – I dropped the CEO a note (after he messaged everyone in the building to see if anyone wanted to work with them) but got no reply …..

• Doesn’t he know who you are Rob??? If not heard of them or Kaptan till today. I have looked at Black Lane but thought they were quite expensive to just outside the M25 by about 2 miles.

• Jonathan says:

Kapten are currently paying the drivers £20 bonus per journey (on top of fare) which might explain the sales pitch! I had a driver the other day who wanted me to end the trip early & then book the remainder of the trip immediately essentially splitting 1 trip into two. I declined on the basis that one of the advantages of Kapten is they quote you the fare (not an estimate like Uber) when you book so I’d essentially already paid for the full journey plus I didn’t want to risk the remaining journey being allocated to a different driver!

I think the half price promo is also over (Code was HILONDON) but you can get £2 off your first 5 trips with a referral code (mine is JONBRE14). They also either don’t surge or surge much less than Uber as at peak periods they’re much cheaper than Uber (eg. £12 vs £18-20 Uber estimate for my journey on Sat night). Cars/drivers are identical to standard Uber.

• Lady London says:

Thanks for this, i havent been hugely impressed with Uber in London or US. Surge pricing annoys me at the levels seen. In US i’ve found Lyft to be better. Wish they would come to London.

Meanwhile thanks again And i will give Kapten a try.

• I’ve just installed the Kapten app and set up an account, MONAD1 promo code gets £5 off first ride but be aware it’s time limited to end of July for me. A quick look at the app shows it’s loyalty based so points back for rides which is good for folks on here.

• Just looked up the guy I emailed back on 24th May (Matthew Bassant) who turns out to be Partnerships Marketing Manager.

A job I suggest he won’t be holding for long if he ignore emails from sites as big as HFP 🙂

• Lady London says:

Perhaps he’s gone already Rob. Could be why you’ve had no reply.

6. Nigel Williams says:

I wonder if the Virgin hookup with AF / KLM will eventually hook into this?

I’m a fan of the Accor hotels (Esp NovoTel) but its getting more difficult to gain status with them nowadays.

• Has there been any further update on the Virgin/KLM link up?

• EU approval is done, US approval is delayed, partly by JetBlue lobbying for Heathrow slots to be handed over to it.

7. David says:

Actually, I credit directly my point to Iberia.
    What if I register, doI collect point to Iberia AND flying blue ?

8. Shoestring says:

O/T anybody who missed it yesterday, the Amazon £25 off £40 is working again (if you didn’t use it before) – confirmed several times incl last night – Plat, Gold, Green

try 2x Auchentoshan American Oak Single Malt Scotch Whisky, 70 cl £20 (sold by Amazon) – dummy purchase to see if you are eligible for the £25 saving

use the code AMEX25OFF
    use some Amex points to part pay (1p is enough)
    pay the rest on your Amex card
    register Amex card here https://www.amazon.co.uk/hp/shopwithpoints/account/

• roger says:

It won’t let me register.

Registration is currently unavailable
      We’re sorry, but the Shop with Points registration is currently unavailable. Please try again later.

• Shoestring says:

that registration link won#t work with new cards but it will work to enrol long-standing Amex cards that you have used on Amazon for some time

• Jonathan says:

Seems to not work if you’ve had a replacement card (new number) on an account which has been used for Amazon before so excluding anyone with a shiny new metal Platinum!

• Jonathan says:

(It will let me register card and makes pay with points available but declines offer code)

• Followed your advice yesterday and for whatever reason it seems I’m ineligible. A bit disappoint given some have got it to work multiple times. Btw, 8% waitrose on my Halifax today, not great but better than nothing.

9. I wonder if the Accor points will still auto convert to Iberia. You would be earning Avios by flying AF/KLM!

• Shoestring says:

auto-convert is still working fine (conversion of any small numbers of Accor points into IB Avios, no need to wait for 2000 Accor points)

10. Ooops – something went wrong… That’s what I get when trying to link the accounts. Good old Accor IT 🙂

• +1

• IanMac says:

At my first attempt I got the same error message.

Try again – it worked for me the second time – I even received a registration e-mail which is a first for Accor !

11. roger says:

OT- Iberia

I will be shuttling between LHR and MAD and on most journeys will be targeting to book long haul air-crafts.
    Iberia seems to be using their A330 and sometimes A350 on certain flights.

As an Hand Bag only Economy flyer (with no status yet), should I be looking for anything extra flying these long haul air-crafts?
    Any other points most welcome, including long term hotel / apartment stays / Taxis etc.

• Shoestring says:

I hope that’s a man bag, Roger 🙂

• Jonathan says:

No, just a bigger, nicer plane although can make boarding & disembarking slower. If you’re Gold/Silver or Iberia équivalent then on BA flights with a long haul plane & a full economy cabin they will let you sit in WTP seats. Iberia have the IFE available, BA don’t. Main advantage is in business although for a 2 hr flight it’s not worth substantially altering schedule to work around the long haul aircraft.

• Stu N says:

Another issue is which bits of terminals the different aircraft use. When I’ve used them, the Iberia long hauls generally leave from T5B/C at Heathrow whereas the BA and IB operated short haul ones are more likely to use T5A (main terminal). B and C (satellites) involve a shuttle unless you know how to use the walkways (guide is on BA Board on Flyertalk).

At the Madrid end, I _think_ BA-operated flights and IB long haul aircraft usually use T4S; this is a long train transfer from the main T4. IB short haul seem to use main T4 which is much more convenient. But do look at some departures info to see if this is still the case.

• marcw says:

Honestly I’d choose IB 319/320/321 routes… immigration will be MUCH quicker, and you’ll most likely arrive/depart in T5A and T4, instead of T5B/C and T4S (all BA service arrive and depart from T4S).

• Stu N says:

Thanks marcw, I thought I was remembering correctly but good to have some confirmation.