BA Sale

Make Virgin Atlantic savings this weekend inc £60 off Premium

Virgin Atlantic has launched some special deals for Premium and Economy flights.

Until Monday 1st July:

you can save £30 on Economy flights to Orlando

you can save up to £60 on Premium flights from London to select destinations

Save £30 on Economy flights to Orlando

To get £30 off Economy flights to Orlando, you need to select ‘advance search’ and use the promo code MCOPR when booking.

The promo code is valid on Economy flights from London Gatwick to Orlando in December 2019 or from Manchester to Orlando AT ANY TIME except for October 2019 and February 2020.  The booking page is here.

Save £60 on Premium tickets

Destinations included in the ‘£60 off Premium’ offer are:

Boston from £663 return (27th Oct – 12th Dec 2019 and 24th Dec 2019 – 27th Mar 2020)

New York from £713 return (27th Oct – 12th Dec 2019 and 24th Dec 2019 – 27th Mar 2020)

Washington from £773 return (27th Oct – 12th Dec 2019, 24th Dec 2019 – 7th Jan 2020 and 15th Feb – 27th Mar 2020)

Seattle from £803 return (27th Oct – 12th Dec 2019, 24th Dec 2019 – 7th Jan 2020 and 15th Feb – 27th Mar 2020)

San Francisco from £869 return (27th Oct – 12th Dec 2019, 24th Dec 2019 – 7th Jan 2020 and 15th Feb – 27th Mar 2020 )

Atlanta from £1123 return (27th Oct – 12th Dec 2019, 24th Dec 2019 – 7th Jan 2020 and 15th Feb – 27th Mar 2020)

Mumbai from £813 return (16th Aug – 16th Oct 2019, 22nd Oct – 27th Nov 2019 and 25th Dec 2019 – 3rd Apr 2020)

Hong Kong from £853 return (3rd Sep – 12th Sep 2019 and 1st Nov – 12th Dec 19)

Johannesburg from £1275 return (1st Jul – 8th Oct 2019, 28 Oct – 3rd Dec 2019 and 1st Jan – 30th Apr 2020 )

All stays must include a Sunday night except for Boston where a Saturday night is required. You do not need a code for this promotion. The booking page for the Premium offer is here.

Virgin Atlantic is also still offering savings for flights from London to Tel Aviv:

you can save £30 per person on Upper Class flights from London to Tel Aviv

you can save £20 per person on Economy and Premium flights from London to Tel Aviv

For this offer you need to add the promo code FLC03 when booking. The offer is for travel between 1st November 2019 and 11th December 2019 as well as 1st January to 31st March 2020. You must book by Friday 5th July 2019.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is one of the two Virgin Atlantic Reward credit cards.  These earn double miles (3 per £1 on the paid card or 1.5 per £1 on the free card) when you book at virginatlantic.com or via Virgin Holidays.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

The Virgin Atlantic Tel Aviv booking page is here.

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

IHG Rewards Club adds two casinos in Macau - at a crazily high redemption cost
Amex will have a cardmember lounge at Wimbledon!

BA Sale

Comments

1. Roger says:

Rob,

Have you done any article on using personal Air miles and Hotel points for business trips?
    How is the tax treatment and how do you reclaim expenses if using these personal miles and points?

• Well above my pay grade.

However, this is what I do:

* I do not account for miles coming in and I do not account for them when I spend them (eg I did not charge the company for the St Regis New York points I burned the other week, neither did I charge the company for using my Avios to book BA1 to get there) – although I do charge the flight taxes

* I DO charge the company if I buy hotel points and them immediately use them for a business stay, as I did when I went to Aircraft Interiors Expo in April and it was 50% cheaper to buy and instantly Hyatt points than pay cash. Whilst I have never done it, I would do the same if I ever bought airline miles and instantly redeemed.

I COULD pay myself money when I use my personal miles for what is technically HFP business, but that opens a nasty can of worms that I would prefer to leave behind – especially as it opens up other issues (eg Did I really need to spend 3 nights in New York to review BA1 and the new BA lounges on the way home? Clearly not, and I had no other meetings whilst I was there. Getting the company to pay, even indirectly, for the St Regis for 3 nights instead or 1 or 2 would therefore be questionnable.)

• Roger says:

Thanks for the perspective.

Sometimes when even the short haul EU flight is £300-£400 and redemption option is available where you can use 10K/12K Avios + £50 in taxes, I was just wondering applying notional 1p per Avios valuation to and claim as business expenses even though Avios belonged to my personal account.

• Jonathan says:

It’s a slippery slope if you want to start valuing miles on the expenditure front but ascribe no value to them when you earn. Can’t see HMRC buying that for 1 minute!

• The Savage Squirrel says:

+1. I probably use only 1% as many miles/points as Rob of course – if I spend them in the course of business travel I ascribe no value to them as the hassle and can-of-worms is definitely not worth it. As I own my own business it can still make sense to do this; I’ll generally try and pay cash for business travel and just accept the reduction in future tax liability as a form of discount, but in very high cash/low point price scenarious (like Rob’s $1000/night Regis stay!) it stilll makes sense to pay points..

• If you bought a chunk of Avios in a 50% bonus sale at 1p and then sold them back to yourself, that would be totally ok.

With the Hyatt deal, I actually had enough Hyatt points without buying them. I bought them only to create a paper trail.

2. Jimmy says:

OT: Regarding LLoyds avios – When they ‘switched’ from Amex to Mastercard, they actually closed your old account and reopened a new one, meaning that the credit history built up would have been removed from your credit reports. Just on the phone to them now to sort it out.

• Why would it be removed? If what you say is right, it would just say the account is settled and you have a newly opened account. It may or may not have a detrimental effect if you are applying for a mortgage next week, otherwise it should have very little effect by the end of this year.

3. Roger says:

OT – Business Traveler Plus

Any offers for subscription?
    Looking for GHA and NH hotel status match.

4. Roger says:

OT – What is the best way to close Lloyds Avios account?
    It is in Mrs Roger’s name who is not too keen to verify through telephone security.
    You know the plot 🙁

• You can send them an online message, or write to them, I don’t know how much importance signatures on letters are afforded these days as most card companies will never actually see it with everything being done electronically now.

• Can go to branch and force a staff member to see your ID then tell the guy on the phone that they saw it.

Snail mail letter works, not sure if app messaging is sufficent (poor results from trying it for other problems).

• Roger says:

Chat function in App worked fine.
        Not sure why do they not have have Chat option for website.
        Any way, got the result in the end.

5. IHG status match – recent one from Hilton etc.
    Anyone had any response? Not overly endearing when they take so long to decide!

• James says:

I registered before it was made a thread on here, so must have been within the first few hundred. No response, no change in status as of five minutes ago. Other than it being a bit of a hit to the ego, I don’t care as within minutes of sending it off I looked more closely at what IHG and Spire had to offer, and think I’m much better off with HH diamond (or gold).

• Jay H says:

Yes matched to spire elite from Hilton diamond

6. James says:

OT: Hilton Go More Get More promotion.

I’ve read the fine print a couple of times, and can’t get my head round something. Obviously reward nights will generate no extra points for the room rate as there are no base points granted for that, but do readers believe that reward nights would count towards the 10/15/20 night targets?

7. OT: Sorry if I’m lagging behind – just tried to book a room at the Brighton Hilton on points – says that if I cancel I won’t get my points refunded. Is this new?

• Is this a standard room award or a cash room you are discounting with points? Latter is not refundable.

It could also be possible if a special event is on, or New Years Eve.

• Ah okay. The mists potentially clear, it’s a standard room award but also Pride. I have to be in town for a work thing for one night and predictably the rates are through the roof. I’ve surrendered a Hotels.com night to use elsewhere which is cancellable. I’m hoping to get out of staying hence the need to cancel. Thanks.

8. Optimus Prime says:

OT – Since when does Uber quote £120 to get to SE London from LHR £120 without price surge? Looks like it now defaults to taking M25 instead of going through Central London?

9. Harry T says:

Just been status matched from Bonvoy Gold to IHG Platinum through that offer H4P posted about this month. It hasn’t mentioned anything about completing 5 nights in the next 90 days to retain Platinum, though. Thoughts?

10. News just in… Virgin Atlantic will debut A350 flights on the London Heathrow to New York JFK route:

10-24 September 2019 6x weekly:
    VS153 LHR 1330-1625 JFK
    VS138 JFK 1900-0720+1 LHR

From 25 September 2019 6x weekly:
    VS137 LHR 1150-1450 JFK
    VS138 JFK 1900-0720+1 LHR

The A350 will initially run on six days per week, but will go daily – and take over other flights – as more of the new jets roll into Virgin’s hangars.