BA Sale

Get great value for your Marriott Bonvoy points in Oxford

If you’re looking for somewhere classy for a weekend away, Oxford is never a bad choice.  A brand new Courtyard by Marriott has literally just opened – there are still builders finishing things off inside – and offers great value for Marriott Bonvoy points.

Courtyard Oxford City Centre (website here) is selling at a premium price due its location.  Over 9th – 11th August, to pick a random weekend, rooms start at £213 per night.

Courtyard Oxford City Centre opens

For points, however, it is a different story.  As a Category 2 hotel, it is just 12,500 Bonvoy points per night.  This is roughly 1.75p per point, compared to my standard valuation of 0.5p!

Courtyard Oxford City Centre opens

Reader Nick, who literally lives next door, sent me some photos which I’ve dropped into this article.  He puts it at 2 minutes walk to the castle, 2 minutes from the new shopping centre and 5 minutes from the railway station.  It was, apparently, scheduled to become a Hotel Indigo before switching to a Courtyard, although £213 looks more like Hotel Indigo pricing to me!

The property is partly new build and partly restoration of an existing property.  Rooms in the old building, see below, are not yet finished so it is running on reduced capacity.

The Courtyard Oxford website is here if you want to know more.  Thanks to Nick for taking these photos for us.

Courtyard Oxford City Centre opens

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.

Etihad adds a permanent 4th Heathrow service - but with a Boeing 787
Heathrow Airport staff strike suspended as new pay deal tabled

BA Sale

Comments

1. OT – I’ve been looking for Avios availability on a Cathay Pacific flight in Business in November from HKG to Ho Chi Minh – just one way. However nothing seems to be available.

Do these just open up three months in advance or so? I’ve had a look around online but can’t find an answer and there seems to be availability in September for example. Any knowledge appreciated!

• That’s a waste of avios, especially since partner devaluation. Suggest you just take VietJet.

• Why’s it a waste of avios? Often flatbed seats on those kind of flights, low taxes and will be able to use the lounges in HKG

• IMO simply because it’s such a short flight, but CX regional are mostly a330 and if there is no alternate route to lounge access I’m happy to concede your point for anybody who is avios-rich. Otherwise I’d still do a LCC.

• Am sitting on quite a few avios and seemed like quite a good value redemption compared to paying cash. Also fancied checking out the HKG lounges!

• It’s just a zone 2 redemption so you’ll certainly get much more bang for your avios than on a similar redemption within Europe or North America. Enjoy.

• Stu N says:

It comes and goes. Seems to appear 12 months out, disappears and comes back 2-3 months out. If you’re looking close to departure apparently it’s blocked online – there’s a big thread on Flyertalk BAEC on this – but you can book over the phone.

• Ah that explains it thanks – I’ve made a note to check two and three months in advance.

• Lady London says:

If it’s blocked from view online but can book over the phone then does that mean best to search on a non-BA website ( presumably only the lowest level of available award seat would turn out to be bookable when you go back to phone BA to book). I am thinking maybe Qantas a good website to search (unless you use something like awardnexus or expertflyer)?

• Allan says:

Have been looking for similar for several months now and there is 0 availability. Same for BKK, KUL and others in the region. You can still get seats with Asia Miles though, plenty there and an Amex MR partner.

2. Keith says:

OT:

If I’m downgrading my BAPP to a Blue BA do I need to wait until my points I’ve earned on the BAPP this month transfer over at statement time or will they stay on the account and transfer over when I get my first Blue statement?

• Quite sure they are fine but I waited until avios hit my BA account and downgraded same day (yesterday). New card is showing today with a few days still until my anniversary statement.

3. Clive says:

I was looking for similar flights and was finding next to no availability. A search on FT then showed that CX were limiting Partner availability so I gave up and ended up booking with Air Asia and Vietjet.

4. Hi All,

I need approximately 25,000 Hilton points to top up for a redemption booking I’d like to make. It isn’t until mid-November. Anyone with a crystal ball or experience of how frequently the 80% or 100% extra ‘free’ offers come round on points purchases?
    Many thanks!

• They seem to have been very common this year so far so hopefully not too long until the next. No idea what your proposed redemption is but take care that it doesn’t increase by over 12.5k whilst you wait for that benefit from a 100% bonus sale offer. In major cities the shifts in points required per night can now move in quite alarming ways at Hilton.

• Thanks BJ, that’s useful advice. I’m looking at Hilton Dead Sea (Jordan). At the moment my dates are selling for 32,000 x 4 for 5 nights (I’m Gold). I guess I could book a points plus cash rate now and presumably cancel it and book all points if an offer comes up and the points rate hasn’t risen.

• Probably the smart thing to do if the flexible rate on points plus cash works for you. Personally I have no idea but I’n sure you/others will have some idea as to how stable reward pricing is there.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

I often use transfers from Virgin Flying Club to top up if I’m short and no suitable current offer. Redemption ratio is 2:3 so if we value Virgin points at 1p you’re paying 0.66p/Hilton which is cheaper than regular purchase and burns a much less liquid “currency”.

Worth remembering that the 100% top-up bonuses are often for fixed large amount such as the recent $400/800 one, so the bonus doesn’t look so attractive if you’re just short yet you have to buy far more than you need at a poor rate vs true value.

• And it was reported yesterday that they are transferring in about a week again. There is also the membership rewards route transferring at 1:2.

5. OT: Anyone used Emirates’ Dubai Stopover Programme hotels? Are they heavily discounted?

6. Youngtraveller says:

Just booked the Oxford hotel using 6k points and paid in 51 instead of 250 not too bad of a redemption I hope