BA Sale

Virgin Atlantic launches good US Upper Class sale for immediate travel – works for solo travellers too!

Virgin Atlantic has launched a good sale on many of its US routes.

This seems to be in response to the current British Airways sale, which is exceptionally cheap – see our article here – but which requires two people to travel.

The Virgin Atlantic deal does NOT require two people to travel.  Solo travellers who were annoyed by the British Airways sale can jump in now.  (If there ARE two of you travelling, you might find the British Airways prices to be better so check those too.)

Here are the rules:

you must book seven days in advance of travel – so the earliest you can book, given this was published on Saturday 17th, is on Saturday 24th

you must travel outbound by 30th September

you must return by 10th October

you must stay away for a Saturday night

Virgin Atlantic US sale

How good are the prices?

Here are a sample of Upper Class deals:

Boston £1,486

Washington £1,486

New York £1,486 (this includes the new A350 service which launches on 10th September on the 13.30 Heathrow service, excluding Thursdays)

Las Vegas £1,503

Atlanta £1,798

Los Angeles £1,798 (limited availability)

Seattle £1,803 (limited availability)

Chicago £1,865

Miami £1,999

I couldn’t find anything to San Francisco or Orlando.

Virgin Atlantic upper class suite sale

If you are considering booking the new A350 with the new Upper Class Suite, our review is here.

You can also book onto Delta services for the same price where available if you want to give them a try.  Here is our review of Delta ONE on an A330-200.

Either way, you can get into the Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse in Terminal 3 which we reviewed here and which is definitely something you should try once.

As we said with the British Airways sale article, if you are travelling before the end of September you may want to think about cancelling any ticket booked using Avios or Virgin Flying Club miles and buying a cash ticket instead.

It is slightly less clear cut with these Virgin Atlantic deals – with the BA sale, it is virtually a no-brainer to cancel and rebook unless you need the flexibility to cancel – but you should do the maths.  You may also be able to get a better timed flight by swapping to cash.

You can book on the Virgin Atlantic website here.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is one of the two Virgin Atlantic Reward credit cards.  These earn double miles (3 per £1 on the paid card or 1.5 per £1 on the free card) when you book at virginatlantic.com or via Virgin Holidays.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

Virgin USA sale

How to earn Virgin Atlantic miles from UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Flying Club miles from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

What is the best hotel scheme? - Marriott Bonvoy - The Facts
Can you get a better travel deal with Clubcard points than Avios or Virgin miles?

BA Sale

Comments

1. BSI1978 says:

Morning Rob, all.

Do we consider it likely that these will be the extent of Virgin & BA’s sales or is there likely to be further and wider sales later in the summer/autumn?

• I’d like to know this too. Both these sales are useless to me as i am already travelling in Sept and couldn’t find any flights for my itinerary worth cancelling my reward flight for. I am also looking for dates in late Nov or Feb/Mar 2020 to Singapore and on to Thailand. Cheapest I’ve found so far is via Qatar or Finnair but starting in Oslo but both much more than I was expecting.

• Depends how weak bookings get in light of pilot strikes and no-deal Brexits ….

2. Benylin says:

OT: What number can I call Avios on now to book a redemption flight (2-4-1). Tried the US number 1 800 452 1201 but they are closed. Want to make sure I don’t miss the opening.

• Benylin says:

Ok got through to someone in Saudi.
      Being charged £35 per person to adjust a date, plus £15 per person service charge. So £100 total…
      Is that correct?
      I thought it was just £35 total regardless of pax?

• Hi Benylin I have never done a phone booking for a 2 4 1 ticket but I understood that charge was waived if you were adding a return to a booking to make it 2 4 1 or doing open jaw booking as that is something you can’t do online. Otherwise if possible to do online and you phone up you’re charged.

Glad you got your booking. Where are you going? Enjoy it

• Jonathan says:

It’s definitely £35 per person. The phone service fee is less cut & dry, if you can’t complete online what you’re requesting over the phone it shouldn’t be charged but often have to query it. Equally if you get the right agent you can sometimes get it waived when it should be charged.

• Lady London says:

You should not pay the phone fée if it was something you could not have done yourself online – it should be waived.

• The £35 fee absolutely should be charged in this case – it’s only meant to be waived if it’s something you can normally do online but it isn’t working.

Some people manage to get it waived anyway, but it shouldn’t be so don’t rely on it (I’ve never been able to get it waived for my Alaska redemptions, but I’m sure a few people here have).

• Lady London says:

I have ALWAYS got it waived for Alaska redemptions, usually without even asking.
            I usually open with “is it possible to book Alaskan redemptions online” and they say no it’s not and then do my booking.

Perhaps jogging the agent’s memory in this way that you’re only calling because it’s something you would do online, but online facility is not provided to you to do it, is what is working.

3. Can’t say that looks compelling from my limited sample. Even in the ba sale for similar dates one person to Vegas was £1400. Fortunately I persuaded a friend and am going for £955 now…

• I never find Virgin to be as cheap as Oneworld when heading west. I would very much like to try their A350, but it can wait. Don’t want to go in September anyway, too many other things in play. Will keep an eye on ex-Dublin VS prices and hope for a Amex travel offer to sweeten the price.

4. OT – does the BAPP Amex “Spend £100, get 1,000 Avios” work when paying off a BA Holidays balance?

• It does – Exactly what i did and the offer has been removed from my saved offers tab now.

• Harry T says:

Worked on my girlfriend’s free BA Card. Ironically hasn’t worked yet on my BAPP. We are paying the same BA holidays booking balance, for clarity. I’d already paid the deposit, so we are chipping away at the balance for cash flow purposes. We’ve both put 101£ on our BA cards.

5. slightly off topic…
    I have an Air New Zealand flight booked using my flying club miles. I need to cancel and know the fees for doing so….Can anyone advise as to how they do this in practise? My original fees were about £30. Do I pay the cancellation penalty and they refund my original payment or do they operate the same as BA in that the penalty is UP to £35..? Many thanks

6. OT – Green to plat upgrade. Spent the £4K and no points appeared however this morning the counter for spending £4K and receiving the 20k points is showing on the app with £0 spent. Maybe it will refresh overnight? Anyone else had this?

• Thanks for the tip. I now have the counter but it shows £0 spent when I have spent more than £4,000. Perhaps tomorrow it will show the amount.

7. Spaghetti Town says:

I really wish Virgin would let you use the credit cards 241 for Upper Class.

8. Both BA and VS are £1499 for solo flyer LHR-NYC for my provisional dates in September.

Includes the VS A350 flights as well

Advantage of BA is I can use some of my avios to reduce the fare.

Advantage of VS is the CH and the A350

9. OT: Made an Economy booking on British Airways today but now want to travel Premium Economy. Should I just cancel it online as within 24 hours with no penalty? How long does the refund take? Also, is there a way to earn some money back when booking BA flights?

• It says on the consent that, “You are requesting cancellation of a restricted ticket(s) and in accordance with the fare rules you will only receive a refund of taxes paid.” Is that valid for within 24 hours too? For got to clarify that I don’t want to just upgrade the same flight, I need to switch to a later flight as PE is almost same price as Economy on a later flight.

• Peter K says:

Why not ring them up and ask?

• Thanks, I did and cancelled. Any way to ear any money back through websites for BA flight bookings? I have checked the usual ones but none of them seem to be offering and BA shopping portal doesn’t either.

• Lady London says:

Sometimes there are offers from OTA’s on those sorts of sources, although perhaps not in August, but personally I would always hesitate to book via an OTA as it can make some things complicated later. Some people have also recommended ebookers’ own points scheme.