Eat at the world’s best restaurant with Marriott Bonvoy

The winner of The World’s Best Restaurant award for 2018 – see the full list here – was Massimo Bottura’s Osteria Francescana in Modena, Italy.

Described as an ‘avant-garde Italian tasting temple’, it also won the award in 2016.  (It won’t be winning it any longer as a rule change means that previous winners are now no longer eligible.)  It holds three Michelin stars and is famous for quirky preparations like “Autumn in New York” and “Oops, I Dropped the Lemon Tart”.

Marriott Bonvoy is taking over Osteria Francescana on 11th October for a special dinner.

It is letting you book a table using Marriott Bonvoy points and, shamefully, the event has been overlooked so far.  This is because Marriott Bonvoy lists its auctions by city, so it wouldn’t be spotted unless you searched for events in Modena.

As you can see from the event page here, bids for the 18 tables on offer are all hovering around the minimum bid level of 75,000 Marriott Bonvoy points.  This is what you get:

• A members-only multi-course dinner at Chef Massimo Bottura’s Michelin-starred restaurant, Osteria Francescana
  • Wine pairings to accompany the meal
  • Meet & greet and photo opportunity with famed Chef, Massimo Bottura
  • Restaurant tour of Chef Bottura’s world-class art collection
  • One signed copy of Chef Mossimo Bottura’s cookbook
  • Access is for two people

I value a Marriott Bonvoy point at 0.5p, so this event is effectively ‘costing’ you £375 in foregone free hotel nights.  If you are foodie, you won’t care – you’ll want this!

Bidding closes on 9th September.  You can bid here.

Marriott auction Osteria Francescana

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

British Airways settles with CBRE over May 2017 power outage
The slightly odd, very stylish and pretty cheap Atrium Hotel opens at Heathrow

Comments

1. RussellH says:

Had a ‘painful’ sight for a points collector in Aldi an hour ago:-

Two elderly men had lined up on the band 11 bottles of Gin, 8 of Vodka and 2 of Whisky.
    £229 – paid in filthy £20 notes. No food…

• stocking up for their bank holiday weekend maybe…(you’d hope)

• More likely brexiteers stockpiling – elderly, s… apologies (to my dad and others), I must avoid stereotyping and remoaning.

• Lady London says:

Could have been related to a cash business. Was this in Scotland?

• Lady London says:

Actually i am wondering if the Aldi was situated within easy reach of thé Scottish border. Thé guys could have been on a booze run from Scotland. IIRC seen on promotions on Aldi site, lots of alcohol not available in Aldi Scottish branches, or alcohol retail restricted somehow?

• Scotland has a minimum unit price for alcohol which means most supermarket promotions aren’t (cannot be made) available in Scotland

• Genghis says:

Depends whether the cash is gross or net…

• A 17% saving on income tax beats any points and miles…

• Maybe they needed to replenish supplies, after all the Amazon Shop With Points code hasn’t been working for a month!

• Harry T says:

Maybe they withdrew the cash on Curve linked to a miles earning credit card?

• Lady London says:

Notes more likely to have been cleaner notes if obtained from a Bank machine.

• I’ve been tempted to go back to old fashioned cash when I’ve thought of the time I’ve spent researching points….how my finances and life would be so simplified with just a wad of notes in my wallet rather than a amex card, a MasterCard, a curve card, a revolut card, a reward bank account card….but strangely I don’t change, it’s like a weird geeky hobby that I keep on coming back to!

• Harry T says:

It was a rather dry joke! You are correct, of course.

• Most modern supermarkets do not give points on alcohol purchases nowadays, so cash might be justified

2. OT – No status, travelling Business Class to Colombo on a BA ticket bought from ba.com – travel from LHR T4 (Qatar Airways code share). Any idea what lounge I will get?

Can see three lounges listed on the oneworld website – Malaysia Golden, Qatar Premium and Skyteam. BA not listed on the eligible airlines listing (for the T4 lounges).

Which one is best? Can I visit more than one lounge? Lounge newbie here!

• Michael says:

No contest – Qatar, plus your gate will be next to the lounge. Malaysian lounge is ok but might not be open depending on your flight time. The Skyteam lounge is pretty basic but does have a spa/massage whereas Qatar do not.

• Assuming your ticket gets you in (and they have odd rules) use Qatar. It is a very ‘adult’ lounge though so I would avoid it if you have kids. Great for grown ups who get to have a very sensible meal in Qatar’s restaurant.

3. O/T, Going Club first time to NYC early September from T5, pilots willing, what are the options for lounges? Will be returning late September from Toronto, anyone have idea of lounge options there?
    TIA

• We used the Air France lounge in Toronto with our Priority Passes and it was good. The internet was excellent there – managed to stream a football match while eating bolognese pasta and sipping more than acceptable red wine. My only criticism was that the food was a bit sporadic but was good when it arrived as the lounge was pretty busy.

• Galleries Club South, Club North and B. If you know the flight is off a B or C gate, which it almost certainly will be, I would use the lounge in Satellite B. The problem, because BA hates announcing gates early, is that you will need to persuade the check-in staff to tell you it is off a B or C gate because it doesn’t show on the board until fairly late in order to keep you in the shops in A.

• I usually google the flight number in the days running up to a flight. In the case of trans-Atlantics so far it’s always shown B or C gates, so I’ve always headed to the B lounge and never been caught out. Plenty of time to get over to C concourse if necessary once they announce it. Though last time we went into the B lounge the desk staff told us straight away our flight would be departing from C and to give ourselves plenty of time.

4. Michael says:

O/T, I received an email from the old Avios store saying that my account, now closed, had been credited. I assumed that the transfer was automatic but was surprised to find that my wife’s BA account shows points crediting from Avios.com whereas mine does not. Quick call to Avios, then to BA Executive Club and voila 33k Avios!

Not sure if anyone else has experienced issues with the migration but potentially worth chasing up for a welcome surprise!

5. Spaghetti Town says:

Any idea if the Tesco pay + promotion will be extended?

6. Spaghetti Town says:

Myself and my new girlfriend have booked the Conrad Bali, how do I have to register her so we both get the free breakfast or something?

• Spaghetti Town says:

I’m Hilton gold.

• Assuming you’re sharing a room, breakfast is for 2. Check your MyWay benefits are set to get breakfast rather than 1000 bonus points.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Thanks

• Genghis says:

Enjoy. We had a good time there a couple of years ago. If you can get to Diamond, you’ll be treated very well.

• Spaghetti Town says:

Thanks Genghis – won’t be getting Diamond as my Gold status is a by product of a plat upgrade 😀

• Presumably you are planning to stay there for at least five nights though, and may have other Hilton stays around that time? If so, it would then be a good opportunity to request a status match challenge provided you have high status with another chain. While you would not be instant diamond anymore, you would be well on the way to the twenty nights you need.

• Get yourself an ihg credit card for £99 which comes with platinum status which Hilton should match to diamond if you book a night stay at ihg.

7. OT, Curve have tweeted that there was a breach in a MasterCard program called Priceless Specials.
    If a curve card is impacted, they will contact the customer and replace the card.

@Rob – Have tagged your twitter handle.

8. OT Using the Hilton link to take advantage of the Lyft offer but it won’t accept any of my credit cards? Anyone had any luck registering?

9. Looking to book flights to Madeira for next school summer holiday. The Avios seats are being released now, should I book those seats now or would it be cheaper to buy cash tickets in the sales? It will be our first year to plan our holidays around school terms!! Thanks.

• I recently booked next summers outbound and used cash as only just over £140 each. Thinking save the points for a bigger reward with a 241 as points are harder to collect now.

• If the seats are there, I would be tempted to book given the modest cancellation fees. In my experience cash tickets for the school holiday period only go one way. We booked a trip to Portugal at relatively short notice this Summer and you would be shocked by what we had to pay. New York would have been cheaper.

• I’ve just grabbed the return legs of 2 RFS flights to Malaga for 2020 summer hols, they were £308 cash each for economy plus (with checked luggage) and I can’t see them dropping in price as there’s only competition from a handful of LCC’s from MAN. Plan is to get another 2 seats as a BA holiday package so we can pay for the rest of the trip 5 weeks before travel.

10. Lady London says:

Anna is the expert on this and Harry The Great Shoestring is no slouch but i would say for school holidays grab the avios seats every time at release and don’t hang around.

Airlines do not generally have sales offering much in the way of hotly sought after dates. Such as Scholl holidays ! They can shift those seats anytime why would they pût them in a sale?

Cancelling an Avios seat once booked can currently cost from 50pence to 50 pounds depending on what balance of cash and Avios you got when you booked. Cancellation will not cost more than the tax you paid when you booked.

If a miracle occurs and you do find a cash deal for school holidays that you prefer then provided you cancel in time you get all of your Avios back and lose only cancellation fee or tax paid if less. Nor are cash tickets as flexible.

11. O/T Hilton: I’m unsure if this is a general problem or simply a problem relating to my account so you may want to check yours. My points balance has gone negative by almost 78k, and my Barclays transfer this month is appearing as a whole string of small transactions such as 2, 4, 6 point. I’ve found customer service at zHilton horrendous so I’m dreading trying to sort this one out.