Hyatt’s Great Scotland Yard hotel opens in London

The Great Scotland Yard Hotel finally opened this week after delays.

Great Scotland Yard is a luxury five star hotel in Central London, situated just around the corner from the Corinthia.  If you imagine leaving Embankment tube station towards the Strand and turning immediately left under the railway bridge, you are heading in the right direction.

Great Scotland Yard hotel

The building is, unsurprisingly, the original Scotland Yard headquarters from the 1820s.  Scotland Yard later moved to Victoria Street, next to what is now Conrad St James, but that building was demolished earlier this year to make way for apartments.  Scotland Yard is now based on Victoria Embankment.

The hotel has 152 rooms.  It is part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt, which allows it to operate at arms-length and without any overt Hyatt branding.  There is an impressive food and drink line-up, led by chef Robin Gill, including signature restaurant The Yard and a tearoom called The Parlour.

(The tearoom is “inspired by The Imperial New Delhi hotel for its opulence and sense of tradition”.  I’ve stayed at The Imperial and I am intrigued as to how this looks!)

Great Scotland Yard hotel opens

Full details are on the Hyatt website here.  You will earn a bonus 500 World of Hyatt points per stay until 31st March 2020 – no registration needed.

As a redemption, the hotel is currently 25,000 points per night.  This is good value given that cash rates are around £300 – £400 midweek.

How to stay at Necker Island for 1.5 million Virgin Atlantic miles!
Attractive long haul flight deals from Scandinavia from Finnair and Etihad

Double Rewards
AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. O/T virgin Atlantic credit card – got an email saying from January only get points up to your monthly credit limit each month!

• BlueHorizonUK says:

Cancellations here they come. Why shoot themselves in the foot like this. Stupid.

Does anyone know if I can cancel the card on the first statement that shows the renew fee and get it refunded or do I need to do it the month before?

• I would have thought that a change in the terms and conditions would mean that you could cancel and obtain a refund of any paid fee?

• As I doubt the T&Cs said that you could do this in the first place ….

A lot of cards do not allow cycling at all. Others – like Capital On Tap – restrict it, in their case to 2 x your limit. This is never in the rules.

• Why? I believe the terms do allow this. They say you get 1.5 miles per pound spent, and that you can’t put your account into credit but nothing at all about not cycling or not going over your monthly limit in terms of £ spent — which is presumably why they’re now changing it and sending this email.

• The Urbanite says:

I’m not sure credit cycling is a strictly intended way of using credit cards. At the very least it seems to be frowned upon by some issuers, VM evidently. The only incentive I can think of to do this is if you get some reward for spending – and I suspect the cost to them of 1.5 or even 0.75 FC miles per £1 far outweighs what they earn in interchange fees.

Question is, was the recent (unintended by the original authors I’m sure) publicity on the nation’s piggy bank the straw that broke the camel’s back on this one?

• Shoestring says:

always be prepared to believe the unbelievable – maybe Virgin were simply not smart enough to notice all the points going the way of Student Loans and the NS&I, otherwise why didn’t they stop it pdq like NatWest & Tesco?

• Andrew M says:

It’s still well worth keeping the card for me. It depends what your credit limit is.

• The curve/virgin combo gravy train is coming to an abrupt halt

• Shoestring says:

surely all they had to do was code the ‘financial’ transactions going Curve—>Virgin the same way that NatWest/ Tesco did and charge a fee/ ie not pay any points?

• I’d much rather they do what’s being reported here (cap to monthly limit) than start charging for all those categories. Fair play to them!

• stevenhp1987 says:

Don’t give them ideas…

But seriously, I don’t understand why they’ve not done that. I’ve accumulated ~ 400k points on my Virgin card thus far this year so this change will reduce the amount I am able to get due to the low limit…

I do legitimately top-up Revolut (which is MCC 6012, same as paying Brighton) in order to use it with Google Pay at non-Amex merchants so a blanket ban on that MCC would be a right pain!

• @stephenhp1987 – what limit did they give you?

• stevenhp1987 says:

@Lev441

Started with £3,700 and now got £7,000

£7k a month = £84k spent a year = 126k points per year max.

I’ve also checked the CCA, it states 30 days notice for any changes. 7th January is less than 30 days away… Although our CCA doesn’t mention flying club miles so that might confuse it a bit.

• Presumably depends on credit limit unless they decide to totally slam the door shut.

• @Lev441 do you often earn more than your limit? Wondering whether this is targeted

• Andrew M says:

It’s a change to the terms and conditions of the card so I assume it applies to everyone.

• Yes as I spend a lot for work – but was only given a lousy £2000 credit limit on the paid for card (compared to the £10k limit I had on the ex MBNA cards. Average spend a month is around £15k per month.

• stevenhp1987 says:

You can apply for a limit increase 6 full calendar months after account opening.

e.g. open account 15 January then you can apply for increase on 1st August.

• I just increased it to 4000 – I didn’t feel the need for any more as was happy paying it off multiple times per month. Now that’s out the window…. Wonder if i’ll have to wait 6 months to get it increased also!

• stevenhp1987 says:

So if the change comes into affect on 7th January and my statement starts 24th… will all spend on the 24th January statement be subject to the limit or will spend up to 7th January be fine?

I suspect the former but there is little information on this change.

2. I’ve taken the sleeper a couple of times recently. For me the value proposition is there – £180 for an ensuite room Vs £220 for a London hotel plus the flight cost.

I don’t think the breakfast is worth the early start (I got woken at 6:20 for my 6:45 breakfast) when you get “arrivals lounge” access in Euston where there is plenty of coffee, fruit and pastries.

3. OT:
    Just managed to stack my “£10 off £50 supermarket spend” and “4% off £65 spend at Waitrose” Amex offers for a nice discount on a JL gift card. May be of use to other people who regularly shop at JL/Waitrose and were wondering if the offers stack. Got emails for triggering both offers!

• Shoestring says:

New customers at Tesco (=new email address) can stack the Amex £10 off £50 with Tesco’s code XXHTFL (which is £25 off £70). The good old days are back!

So, for example you could get 7 cases of 20 (140 bottles) of Budweiser for £35, or 4x 1L bottles of Jack Daniels for £45 etc etc

4. Shoestring says:

GBP is spiking hard upwards on the back of that exit poll – currently EUR3601 = £2989

so buying 300K Avios at Iberia is costing you less than 1p/ point