Get £100 off British Airways Holidays and 10% off Virgin Holidays packages this weekend

Save up to £100 on British Airways Holidays

Until Tuesday 7th January, BA Holidays is offering up to an extra £100 off ‘flight & hotel’ or ‘flight & car’ bookings.

The extra discount is staggered:

£100 off a £2,500+ booking

£50 off a £1,250 – £2,499 booking

£25 off a £650 – £1,249 booking (‘flight and car’ only)

Full details are on the British Airways sale website here.  You need to book by Tuesday night.

Virgin Holidays 10% discount

Save 10% at Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Holidays

There are also discounts over at Virgin Holidays and Virgin Atlantic.

Virgin Holidays and Virgin Atlantic have brought back the special deal they ran exclusively on Boxing Day.  This time it runs for four days, ending on Monday night.

With the first offer, you can save 10% if you book a Virgin Atlantic ‘flight and hotel’ package.

These need to be booked via this page of the Virgin Atlantic website You need to use code 10SALE to get the discount.  The discount applies to the price before airport taxes so it will be marginally lower than 10%.  The deal applies for packages booked for all of 2020.

If you were only planning to book flights in the Virgin Atlantic sale, you may want to price them up today with this offer.  You might end up getting your hotel included for little extra cost.

The same discount applies to anything you book at Virgin Holidays before Monday evening.

It is the same discount code – 10SALE – and it is valid for departures up to 31st December 2020.  There are no minimum spend requirements.  As a special extra bonus, bookings made this weekend will also come with free airport lounge access.

You need to book via the Virgin Holidays sale site here.

(Want to earn more Virgin Flying Club miles?  Click here to see our recent articles on Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club and click here for our home page with the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

Get 2,500 bonus Radisson Rewards hotel points with sale bookings
What's the time in Morocco? Perhaps not what you think it is.

Comments

1. Shoestring says:

you can get 1 month free Platinum status with Red by Dufry using code HAPPYBIRTHDAY
    1. Click on the link below
    2. Enter the promo code into the promotional field within your profile page
    3. Start enjoying your Platinum member benefits!

does Plat get you a cheap lounge pass? ISTR something about that

• Shoestring says:
      • the_real_a says:

Buying these passes via Revolut – there is no “date” on them, in so fact you can stack them up and use at leisure over say 12 months. I wonder if these are the same?

• Shoestring says:

I’ve got a few Dragonpass lounge passes before (Barclays) over email for some forgotten reason and they weren’t dated

I have 2 others I paid £18 for in October, not used yet, and the expiry is 1 year after issue

Even 1 year would be great if it were USD10 a pop

• the_real_a says:

Registered with immediate upgrade to Platinum. Downloaded Dragonpass and can buy what seems unlimited visits for $10. Just bought ten… all good for 12 months in any lounge and fully refundable.

Nice one 🙂

• Shoestring says:

blimmin’ Nora! is that on a phone app – or do you reckon you can do it on a proper mansize desktop?

• Shoestring says:

*womansize OK by me as well 🙂

• Shoestring says:

*itsize/ themsize/ personsize/ onefitsallsize – they’re all good 🙂

• the_real_a says:

Signup up for Dufry on the desktop using your promo code. Download the Dufry app, then click on Lounge passes… it creates the account with Dragon pass. Download the DragonPass app and then sign in, then buy the passes in the dragon pass app.

• Shoestring says:

what is Lounge Passes under on the app?

• the_real_a says:

Firstly select any airport as your current location. Then on the “Enjoy” tab, under the airport benefits header, click on the lounge for that airport. Then click I want it… it will then sign you up automatically for Dragon pass giving you a username and password. use this to log into the dragon pass app. Then in the dragon pass app under the QR code click add visits.

• Shoestring says:

how do I actually see my DP user name & password? my wife broke my phone 50% by dropping it off a car and driving over it

I click on I want it – then what?

• the_real_a says:

After you click on “i want it” the dufry app created me a fresh Dragon Pass Username and password and sent a copy via email. I then used this to log into Dragon pass app.

• If you previously had an account with dragonpass, when registering for red by dufry use a different email to the one used with dragonpass in the past otherwise dufry will throw an error when attempting to set up your dragonpass account.

• Shoestring says:

cheers pablo – could explain why I am getting nowhere on my 50% working mobile and nobody in my family will help (I am disowning them)

I will re-try with new details

2. OT – I’m owed a final Lloyds upgrade voucher (per their letter, I have until March 2020 to earn it). Have hit spend requirement recently but nothing has turned up. Will contact Lloyds but wondering if anyone has had one through recently?

• I got a letter in October saying I had earned the voucher but with no validity date mentioned! I’ve tried calling to make sure it’s in my account but either can’t get an answer from Avios or the (BA) CSA is completely clueless about the vouchers. Going to try again next week.

You can contact Lloyd’s either by phone or via their online feedback form, but be prepared for similar cluelessness. You need to speak to someone familiar with the terms of the Avios cards (before the big change) and Lloyd’s don’t seem to employ many of these.

Alternatively, if you can get through to the Avios number, they should be able to tell you if the voucher is in your account, thereby negating the need to deal with Lloyd’s.

3. OT#2(!) – Due to overprocrastination, I managed to missed the deadline for 35,000 AerClub Avios on Groupon – doh! When I saw the ‘4 days left’ warning, I figured 31st Dec was the cut off – however it had already disappeared.

Anyway…anyone aware of any other current (or upcoming) offers to buy avios for close to 1p? Need to get that 35k asap. Thanks.

• I would be shocked if Groupon Ireland, Groupon Spain or a 50% buy points bonus via BA or Iberia did not appear within a month.

• Hopefully there will be a few offers this year…I get my pension lump sum in May, gonna buy me a big diamond ring and as many Avios as BA will let me to blow on F 😂

• Shoestring says:

hopefully that means you timed it pretty well when you agreed things

15 year gilts hit a new high about mid October or so

not to say they won’t get to a higher high – but not so bad!

• Has the economist offer ended? It’s 0.8pp via Canada so there would be potential for 30k that way but IIRC avios took about a month to arrive according to comments.

• Thanks all. I felt economist 0.8p/avios a bit high given risk, complexity around country and as you say potential delay. Will hold out and hope availability sticks.

4. Shoestring says:

@Ammar – here we go! https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18712166-post681.html
    After she [my wife] saw the video of the room, she was happy to stay in the Coral suite [of the InterContinental Thalasso Bora Bora, clearly not a cheap place]. The main reason she would have liked to stay in the Coral is because of the kitchen. When we first planned this trip, we had to figure out a way to make it affordable. The best way to do this was to stay in the coral suite for the kitchen.

I contacted the hotel and asked if those rooms had a kitchen. I was told yes but they didn’t have any utensils in the kitchen. I asked for specifics and they said they don’t carry anything in the kitchen. So we decided to pay for the extra luggage on the Tahiti domestic flight. The $100 we spent on extra luggage for one of our fares went from 44 lbs. to 110 lbs.

As time got closer, I decided that I wasn’t ok with staying in the Coral suite. I wanted to stay in the OWB [over-water bungalow]. So here is what we did. We purchased an electric burner from Best Buy. We brought the burner, pans, cups, silverware, drink packets, a voltage converter, and 50 lbs of food. We purchased box meals, chips, canned chicken/ham, peanut butter, jelly, tortillas, english muffins, mac/cheese, rice packets, turkey sausage links, soup, hot sauce, vegetarian food, protein powder, and other various items to be able to eat on the cheap while we there. We ended up eating in for every meal except three while being there a week. (Honey is not allowed) We did purchase limes, cheese and loafs of bread from Tiare Market. We spent less than $150 on food while we were there. That includes the market and the few times we ate out.

I do have pictures of the outside of the Coral Suites but not the inside. I also have a picture of all the food we were able to bring with us. Feel free to PM me and I will send them to you.

• Lady London says:

Iconic post.

I thought I was bad carrying a kettle to make tea sometimes 🙂

• Since you can buy such things as travel kettles I am sure you are in many and good company.

• Peter K says:

I hate hotels without a kettle!

• Spurs Debs says:

Kettle and tea bags first thing I pack lol
        On my last trip to UAE while I was waiting for my room to be ready I ordered pot of tea ..£8!
        Now I drink a lot of tea as it’s my drink of choice being teetotal, without my trusty tea bags and kettle I would have a huge bill.

• Teapigs teabags (seriously – what is the point of Lipton?), and if I have no kettle in the room, I have been known to bring my Trangia!

• Lady London says:

Hum. Got a feeling TeaPigs is now owned by the same people that own Lipton?

• Yes, Tata, the same people who own British Steel. It wasn’t even set up as a ‘small brand’, Tata was behind it from Day 1.

• I love this story! Makes me feel quite normal for taking F & B to GCM, though to be fair a lot of visitors do this (Americans on short flights have been known to bring coolers full of meat!) due to the insanely high grocery prices.

• Absolute legend! Puts my packets of instant porridge to make in a cup into perspective. You are an inspiration.

5. Shoestring says:

PREMIUMPLEASE

I wanted Monese people to get this code, courtesy Boi!

It was posted too late yesterday for many people to grab it. Gives you 3 months Premium, free, on Monese. If you faff around trying to find the Promotions link like me last night – click on the head top left and after that it’s easy enough.

6. OT: Just had a nice email from Hilton so take care not to delete any you receive without checking. 10k (3k + 7k) bonus for two stays within 90 days of registration, which can be any time during 2020. Reason given for offer was to rebuild my balance after having redeemed 80k points in December.

• Dave Barron says:

Is it a link exclusive to you or one which can be shared with others?

• Definitely targeted, even related to date of redemption concerned. Flagged it here so readers would check any emails carefully before deleting.

• I get these every time I redeem points. Even works when you book/cancel, so worth doing that sometimes.
          Never had amazing offers. Today’s was 60% extra when buying points, or 3x points on stays through to… 5th jan 😂

• Thanks Tom, first time I got one. I’ll follow your suggestion and see what happens.

7. OT – Lounges

Am currently in Dubai and will be returning from T1 tomorrow morning and would appreciate any experience as to which of the following lounges (via Priority Pass) is the best for breakfast as a family of four:

1) Ahlan Business Class, 2) Marhaba and 3) Sky Team.

Thanks in advance

• The Original Nick says:

Marhaba is my choice. Forget the Skyteam lounge as that’s terrible,

• Harry T says:

Marhaba is excellent, if I recall correctly. Didn’t go there at breakfast time but they did make you dishes to order and there was a relaxed ambience. Plenty of booze too.

• Thank you both – much appreciated. Have woken to 3 notifications from Check my Trip telling me of progressively later delays, so could be spending longer there than would be ideal. Currently only 35 minutes, but who knows how many more I’ll get in the next few hours…..

8. The discussion of second bank accounts reminds me that we’re looking for a Swiss account to receive regular CHF payments and from which to pay the odd CHF invoice. All the Swiss banks now charge non-resident Swiss outrageous monthly fees to maintain accounts – they have a different interpretation of competition … (We are both joint GB and CH nationals.)

Closest here seems to be the Fineco 4-currency acount, but they charge £19.95 to pay CHF from the CHF account, rather too high IMO. Euro payments would be OK, but Switzerland is not an EU, EFTA or EEA member, unlike Liechtenstein …

i’d be grateful for any ideas.

• Shoestring says:

would a UK a/c offering Swissie holding currency not work equally well (nearly)? that’d be easy to sign up for & you wouldn’t get ripped off on charges – eg HSBC & others

also, bank to bank transfers can be very cheap these days (eg WorldRemit) ie about £1 fee with a good conversion rate

I’m thinking you can have both (say) a CHF HSBC a/c, cheaply, to control your currency risk (ie keep a chunk of savings in CHF) – & make bank to bank transfers from either a GBP a/c —> somebody’s CHF bank a/c in Switzerland when you need to pay bills, using the likes of World Remit, or if currency has moved significantly and therefore the higher fee still justifies it, pay HSBC fee to move CHF—> CHF

• Revolut, N26 etc not offering accounts in CHF? N26 is German in the first place.

• Lady London says: