Qatar Business Class

Some Flybe flights now bookable (cheaper!) via Virgin Atlantic – but no mention of miles or tier points

We have, slowly, some proof that the integration of Flybe into the Virgin Atlantic schedules is beginning to gain traction.

You can now book some – not all, but some – Flybe flights via the Virgin Atlantic website.  You can book them as standalone flights, or in conjunction with a Virgin Atlantic long-haul flight.

Amusingly, you may even find that they are cheaper via virginatlantic.com!

That’s the good news.  Here is the slightly confusing news:

there is no mention of earning Virgin Flying Club miles

there is no mention of earning tier points in Virgin Flying Club

you cannot book Flybe flights with Virgin Flying Club miles

I think all of the above will happen, but not just yet.  If you visit the ‘airline partners’ page on the Virgin Atlantic website, Flybe isn’t yet listed.

How to book Flybe flights on Virgin Atlantic

Are Flybe flights cheaper via Virgin Atlantic?

It seems so, in some cases.

Here is an example, from Edinburgh to Heathrow on Monday 17th February (click to enlarge):

Book Flybe flights on the Virgin Atlantic website

and here are the same flights via the Flybe website:

How to book Flybe flights via Virgin Atlantic

As you can see, the 6.15am departure is £10 cheaper when you book on the Virgin Atlantic website.

This is not uncommon with codeshare flights, to be fair.  All it means is that Virgin Atlantic has not yet sold its allocation of the cheapest tickets, whilst Flybe has.

Not all Flybe routes are currently bookable via Virgin Atlantic.  I only found three – Aberdeen to Manchester, Aberdeen to Heathrow and Edinburgh to Heathrow.  I’m not sure what other routes are there yet.  It seems that to guarantee the best price you’ll need to look at both flybe.com and virginatlantic.com going forward.

PS.  Talking of Virgin Flying Club, Air France and KLM miles availability did NOT appear for booking yesterday.  The page on the KLM website which said it would has been taken down.  Very odd.

OFFICIAL & UPDATED: Excellent 2-4-1 First and Business deals from the UK, from £1100, with SWISS & Lufthansa
Earn up to 8,000 bonus Qmiles with Qatar Airways when you join Qatar Privilege Club

IHG Your Rate

Comments

1. Flying to CPT from T3 on in 3 weeks (Thursday night, the late flight, 2 people) – am I likely to need to book the lounge at this time (around 7-7.30pm arrival)? Haven’t been from T3 for a long time. We have dragon pass and lounge club and not really fussy whether aspire/no 1. Don’t really want to pay the £5 to reserve No 1 – husband says he would rather have a wagamama if we have to pay extra!!

• A place in the terminal may well be fine, Waga or otherwise, and that would be my choice I think.
      But why then pay whatever premium you are for the lounges if you’re so indifferent about entry. But equally given you have, and that there are two of you travelling to Cape Town, what’s £10.

• Shoestring says:

I’d say (guess) 25% chance you’ll get into one of the lounges by just turning up @7pm

you both really prefer not paying the £10 total (which you’ll more than pay at Wagamama etc) & seriously risking not getting the unlimited drinks, decent food selection, comfy seats, great wifi & peace & calm at No1?

Wouldn’t you want a few drinks to get ready for sleeping on the night flight to CPT?

• Decent food selection in No1 T3?

Maybe I was unlucky, but the one time I used No 1 T3 I was rather disappointed with the food selection – certainly compared to Plaza Premium T2 and T5, which are my usual lounges/terminals.

“Decent food” is, of course, rather subjective, so YMMV.

• Shoestring says:

Unfortunately the other choice Club Aspire is all pasta! + salads. (OK for breakfast, though.)

No1 T3 food is limited, as you say – but well cooked/ presented (individual small plate you order from the menu) – and small cold buffet spread/ soup. (Breakfast OK here too – but more continental than Club Aspire.)

So both not brilliant on food, both quite acceptable so then you have to consider the other bits, main problem being you can’t reserve a place at Club Aspire anyway (so that rules it out for me at least) – and No1 is much more light and airy/ windows.

• Ah yes, I’d forgotten about the one free cooked-to-order item. I don’t actually recall now whether I availed myself of that. I mainly just recall being rather disappointed by the buffet.

I’m not really disagreeing with you that it’s probably the best option (without status), and I would probably book it again,, if I happen to fly out of T3 again before the Centurion Lounge opens….

• Sorry, I mean I’ll carry on going to No 1 even after the Centurion opens. Because Rob is adamant that the Centurion Lounge will add nothing to T3.

• Shoestring says:

Centurion – 2 guests per cardholder as well

Is it self pour at the C-bar?

2. I asked about this a couple of weeks back, as I was booking work travel through my CTA and the Flybe flights had the option of booking on a Virgin flight no. I was wondering about whether I should look to use Flying Club as my primary FFP, as I can collect on EDI-LHR/LCY and EDI-AMS (KLM).

But the answer given at the time was about joining Flybe’s program, which didn’t seem right.

• Shoestring says:

Flybe’s FFP is rubbish compared to Virgin’s (and it sounds as if you’ll be able to redeem Virgin Miles on Flybe in future anyway)

• Lady London says:

Got a feeling Alaskan’s program can be used for all these airlines. Might work out better than crediting to any of the 3. Defo not flybe’s program though.

3. Walenby says:

Have you had the clubcard points yet?

• Shoestring says:

3+2 months (=5) before that gets paid

• Walenby says:

Ah ok – I might have missed that in the conditions then. Thanks

• Shoestring says:

sorry Walenby crossed wires there – no idea when you get the Tesco Clubcard points, minimum 35 days it says in T&Cs, then they need to process it

4. Charlieface says:

OT: @Shoestring what do you think I should do when E.ON has started pestering me again by text for a smart meter? Just ignore?
    Remember their T&C only say that you agree to be contacted, not that you’ll have one put in.

• Shoestring says:

probably best to find a way to communicate ‘no thanks’, which gives you 2-3 months before the next pestering call/ text

• Aston100 says:

What is wrong with having one of those installed?
      Genuine question as my energy supplier was keen to get me to have one. They were so keen that I got suspicious and said no.
      Wondering if I made the right choice.

• Peter K says:

The companies have pressure on them to get them installed by government.

The downside for a consumer that I can see is that in future energy companies and potentially charge more at super peak times as they know exactly when everyone uses energy.

I have one but it’s a dumb meter again now due to energy company change (2nd gen meter as well).

• Some suppliers (SSE the one I noticed) are incentivising customers to get a smart meter installed.
        As an E.On customer I will not take their smart meter because they are untruthful in their communications, saying it is mandatory as part of the tariff I’m on. They are wrong on this of course!
        On the other hand ScottishPower are no better – a smart meter *is* mandatory for the tariff chosen, but no availability for 2 months, a form error and now availability when not convenient!

• Secret Squirrel says:

We had a SM fitted, pay on DD monthly. Year later we discovered that bills were all estimated and meter had not been sending readings. Don’t touch them after that episode and send manual readings monthly now to ensure no nasty surprises.

• Charlieface says:

For a start I’m renting and the landlord won’t appreciate it, even if I’m technically in my rights.
        But they have a number of issues, namely:
        cases of misreading
        not working in poor reception areas
        not working after you switch (even a SMETS2 sometimes)
        not wanting the energy company to have data on my every move
        not wanting them to be able to switch me off on a whim (yes, they officially have to go through a lot of hoops to do that and I’m not likely to miss payments, but mistakes can and do happen)

• TGLoyalty says:

What’s your landlords issue going to be it literally replaces the meters you already have in exactly the same spots.
          Misreading? you Still have a meter which shows your reading it’s not difficult to Confirm what the number actually says.
          Again if it’s got poor reception you’ll be asked to submit the reading from your meter.
          Knowing your every move could be a genuine concern but I’d worry more about the phone in my pocket than my ‘smart’ meter.

5. Just tried to book one of these. Booking fails at payment each time saying ‘the fare has just sold out’

• Have investigated a bit more. On mobile, it fails totally, on desktop, the price jumps by £110 after I try to book.

• Lady London says:

Sounds like the fare level you booked is indeed genuinely sold out but the mobile app has worse error handling than the website/desktop.

6. OT; I have a Virgin Atlantic flight next month (premium economy) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a good deal on lounge access at T3.

• Shoestring says:

the £7.80 HAPPYBIRTHDAY2020 lounge access (Dragonpass) is still valid and you can get into No1 Lounge (worth paying another £5 online to reserve your place as they often turn away customers who just roll up) – bit fiddly but worth it for the saving, see thread for helpful pointers on making it work

• Thank you ! I thought I had read that one wasn’t working. will see if I can get it to happen.

• Shoestring says:

Note the new code and scroll right to the last comments, I enrolled them to Plat on Dufry & bought $10 DP lounge passes for my son & daughter just the other night

• Again. thanks. working fine. noted about the no guests and Shoestring noted you signed your children up. I take it they are old enough to be ‘officially’ signed up ??

• Shoestring says:

I don’t think Dragonpass lounge agents will be checking ages! Youngest is 15 next week so don’t anticipate any problem, though I will have a back up plan just in case.

• I’m thinking the 5 year old might be pushing it a bit ! thanks for the help though.

• T&Cs for Dufry and Dragonpass say account holders need to be aged 18 or over, which will be my rationale for using one of my DP passes to guest my youngest one in. So long as they get paid, are the lounges bothered?

• Let me know if it works. We’ve been tight on article space but we have slots over the weekend if it is all good to go again.

• Worked for me the same night as Harry, with the new code. Well I did have some problems (see my comments on that other article), but got there in the end.

• Confirm this still works, just signed up and brought some. When I entered the code I did say Silver membership but after logging out and back in again it changed to Platinum.

Thanks to Shoestring & Pablo for mentioning it.

• Thanks

7. Shoestring says:

O/T well I got my daughter’s passport OK (& I already got her expired passport back) – but the Passport Office has just sent me the expired passport of some 80YO dude from Ashton-under-Lyne! 🙂

No emergency info filled in or addresses.

Hmm. I was thinking about the cost of the stamp but actually there’s a freepost address & phone number.

Not exactly confidence inspiring though – it was addressed to me, not some mistake by RM – and 5 yrs ago the Passport Office sent me my daughter’s new passport but addressed to one of my neighbours! Who did the right thing, same as I will do with Mr Donald’s old passport 🙂

8. EDI – LCY is also showing up including some Stobert operated flights. Unlike the FlyBe website Virgin allows you to search from all London airports at the same time. Being able to make a single booking flying into Heathrow and back from City may be useful.

9. NQY – LHR gone post-March and back to Gatwick which is pain for getting out of Cornwall then long haul. Guess Virgin will use those LHR slots for transatlantic which was all part of the masterplan, and we’ll go back to the train!

• Secret Squirrel says:

The LHR route from NQY was a dream, to go back to LGW is a pain but not terrible.

10. Secret Squirrel says:

OT: anyone ever had problems booking EY via AA site on points?
    Agents can see availability of eg: 5 x seats, put on hold one seat in one account, go to partners account and then zero availability on same flight?
    Happened 3x different dates!