How will the 14-day UK travel quarantine work?

The Government has announced details of its travel quarantine arrangements this afternoon.

As had been trailed, virtually all arrivals into the UK will need to enter into quarantine for 14 days on arrival.  For non-UK citizens / residents, Border Force will be allowed to refuse entry if they believe that the visitor will not abide by these arrangements.

The exact details will not be known until full written Government guidance is published.  This is what was announced:

When does the new quarantine system begin?

8th June

Who is covered by the quarantine ruling?

Everyone entering the United Kingdom from anywhere except Channel Islands, Isle of Man and Ireland, except for freight drivers, doctors and scientists entering for coronavirus-related work and fruit pickers.

How does it work?

Arrivals will need to have filled in an ‘online contact locator’ form before arriving in the country.  It will not be a Government requirement to have completed the form but airlines may at their discretion refuse to carry passengers who have not done so.  This will be used for quarantine enforcement and for contacting travellers if any fellow passengers on their flight, boat or train falls ill.

Arrivals must leave the port or airport by car, wherever possible, and head to a location where they will quarantine for 14 days.  Travellers should not receive visitors and should not leave their quarantine to buy food or other supplies if possible.

Hotel accommodation will be provided for arrivals who do not have accommodation arranged.

What is the fine for breaking quarantine?

The police will not be directly involved in enforcing quarantine.

Public health officials and ‘private contractors’ will be responsible for visiting arriving travellers.  (It is unclear how this will work as I doubt either of these groups has the legal right to enter your property.)  In theory, these contractors will supply the police with details of those who were not at their stated address so that the police can issue a fixed penalty of £1,000.  Other parts of the UK can set their own arrangements.

When will these measure be reviewed?

The measures will be reviewed every three weeks.

The official guidance should be available on this page of the Government website very soon.

How to earn Avios points via Tesco Clubcard when filling up with petrol at Esso
BACK TO 5 AIRLINES & EXTENDED!: Get British Airways lounge access for 12 months via a (limited) Qatar Airways status match!

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. BrightonReader says:

So as I live on my own I’ll still be allowed out to go shopping (because there aren’t any on-line delivery slots) because for me it will be necessary. Not that I go out every day anway and avoid the busy times when I do.

Will taking my rubbish to the communal bin at the end of the road mean I could be subjected to the fine if the non enforcing enforcers knock on my door – there is no kerb side collection where I live in Brighton.

When I fly into LHR I usually trvel back by car. If it’s Gatwick it’s train. I’m not paying £40 for a taxi to Brighton from Gatters

Plenty of loopholes in this. My guess it’ll be dropped as soon as it starts.

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] keep this to yourself lol regards online “Delivery slots” i don’t know about Brighton
      But we live in Bognor Regis It’s easy to get a Tesco Delivery (if you know the secret, well was a secret until now lol)
      Log on to Tesco about 10 to midnight, go to book a slot (important if it lets you go to book but there are no slots go back to book a slot importantly keep trying)
      Around 10 to midnight (or just after sometimes 5 to)
      A page with a Tesco Van will come up saying “You Are In a Q” Do not refresh this page
      After a few minutes after midnight it will change to Book a Slot
      Your looking at around 3 weeks time though from today so if you want a delivery more often just log on the next week & repeat
      A pain waiting till after midnight i know (i’ve had to wait up to 12.20 the once, but mostly by 10min)
      Works every-time though delv last week, this week & 4th June

• Waribai says:

If you know how to work the tech, you don’t need to faff around with waiting till midnight….

• Chrish says:

[email protected] Yes easy to work the Tec, My Son works in internet security so can access any system
          Wrote a book on it a few years ago with 3 more (fancy long name i can’t pronounce)
          Could even make sure he won or came 2nd or 3rd whatever he decided in any online competitions
          Advised Microsoft over system faults & aided police
          Chases hackers & reports their ips. Also runs a blog or did not checked recently
          But i can’t very well tell “Brighton” how to do the Tec can i lol

• Chrish says:

[email protected] for your info book is:
          Books: Web Application Obfuscation, Web Application Obfuscation: ‘-/WAFs..Evasion..Filters//alert(/Obfuscation/)-‘
          Said couldn’t pronounce lol i understand it even less (well not at all lol)

• Karen Brown says:

Making sure to be online 10 minutes before Midnight.

Jumping to grab the slot that you need as soon as it opens at midnight.

Where have I heard that before:-)

2. Harry T says:

It’ll be gone by July, if they even bother to implement it.

3. Dominic Barrington says:

I’m not clear. If I fly from the USA to DUB and connect on to LHR, will anyone hinder my movements or make me subject to this?

• davvero says:

To be realistic even if you fly JFK-LHR and skip DUB you’re likely not to be affected by this as the UK don’t have the resources to police this. But if you go via DUB you will not see any UK immigration officers as you don’t go through passport control in the UK.

• Transit passengers are excempt

4. Chrish says:

Even if it’s still in place in the scheme of it it’s only a £1000 fine & that’s at most i would imagine in practice any fine will be a lot lower than £1000.
    Plus that’s only if you get caught
    i think that’s a reasonable rick to take
    Of cause that will put off quite a few holiday makers who can’t afford or worried about the risk
    But that only helps the rest who are willing to take the very small rick of £1000 fine
    As long as plane’s are flying less passengers, will make it a better flying experience for the rest of us
    I remember years ago flying in half empty plane’s Stewardess (was no male ones them days) couldn’t do enough
    But that was the good old days

• Conversely, fewer passengers means fewer people that would need to be checked to ensure quarantine compliance – thus increased risk if being fined if you don’t…

5. memesweeper says:

The fact there are exploitable loopholes plus the UK’s inevitable failure to enforce rigorously will not mean thousands will turn up in Britain and break the rules. This measure will deter pretty much everyone from coming (back) to the UK who would be subject to quarantine.

In terms of disease control it won’t make a blind bit of difference. Way too late for that.

6. Andrew says:

But the point is that most people don’t analyse the life out of things to find loopholes – most “British families” as the government likes to call them will see this as a rule they must and should follow for the greater good. And therefore won’t be booking a summer holiday and therefore the airlines will be scheduling few flights over the summer. And that’s what the government want, for us to not travel and for people not to come here from abroad. And whilst some will travel and some of them will break the rules as they are unenforceable, most will, just as most have with all the other lockdown regulations, follow the rules, that’s just human nature.

7. Clearly this is such an important step that not only has it taken this long to become UK policy, it still won’t be implemented for another couple of weeks, and once it is in place much of the enforcement will be farmed out the private sector. If anyone landing in the UK could get a test and only had to quarantine until a negative result was returned to them (positive cases would remain in quarantine), then it would be better, but god knows what’s needed to achieve that kind of setup in Britain.

• the answer to your question is it requires a competent government who are; not scared of upsetting the public, aren’t just concerned with getting to the end of a daily press conference without mucking up reading from their script, it requires a prime minister to take lead (currently he only shows up for PMQs, which hasn’t gone well). The blame game has already started in Westminster.

• Lady London says:

saw a report today that someone did the 14 day quarantine in Australia, came through it clean then tested positive on Day 16. Bit worrying as the Australians bus incomers to government-chosen hotels for their quarantine and the person does not go out of their room apparently

8. Simon Schus says:

I’ve got a niche situation which isn’t really dealt with in this 14-day UK policy (or at least seems odd). I wanted to share as it is a bit niche. I’m visiting a second home in the UK for a period shorter than the quarantine.

I’m a UK Citizen who lives in the USA.. and I like to visit the UK for a few days at a time: 3 days, 2 days, 4 days… just for the weekend. I’ve got a place I can quarantine easily – a second home – and that was actually my plan for my next trip. My plan was to go from the airport to y place of quarantine, then stay in that place for 3 days – and then head back to the airport. I’d have had no need to leave the house, other than to go to/from the airport! (I’d love to have gone out to the pubs but I’m quite fine staying ‘home’ – and I’d have no need to go out to the supermarket etc). I’m not going to be in the exemptions list of critical workers so this eaves me in a predicament: I presume that I would be breaking the rules if I travelled back to the airport to head ‘home’ after Day 3… rather than after Day 14. If I got a call on Day 5, Day 8, Day 10… I’d be breaking my quarantine as I’d have left the UK! So either cancel my trip, wait to see if the rules change, or break the rules. I’m not going to break the rules!

I’ll keep looking at the guidance when it is published in more detail – to see if there is anything pertaining this this type of circumstance, but I doubt it.

• Dominic Barrington says:

I imagine that this is just deemed non-essential and you are ‘told’ not to do it…

9. Norman Peters says:

What about transit passengers though LHR…
    If you are on a through fare ticket does that mean you now have to remain in the UK for 14 days?, and then be subject to a change fee and also taxes payable for the continued journey?

Also, what about people who have to travel for business more than once a fortnight ?

Really wonder if this has been thought through ?

10. Chris says:

And what possible reason is there for this not beginning for another 2 weeks? (When it should have begun 2 months ago?)

Far too little, far too late.

The UK has watched fellow island nations like New Zealand and Australia quickly and successfully deal with the virus through strict lockdowns, mandatory hotel quarantines applied quickly and consistently. Pubs in Australia are reopening this weekend because the virus has been eradicated.
    Meanwhile we have the highest number of active cases and deaths of any country in Europe. But by all means, don’t wait to do anything about it. Another 2 weeks before implementing a qaurantine is a great idea.

• One thing?

The R number – and it’s direction

Two months ago, how many people were being allowed to fly anywhere?

• In answer to you’re last question it was 15,000 passengers per day flying into UK without checks. From New York, China etc. Those same countries had movement controls and quarantines in place.

• Lady London says:

Yup we threw it away. As an island nation we had every chance of avoiding this. I really, really do not know why the government didn’t just stop landings. Or at least enforce quaratine. Was Boris frightened Donald might get upset if planeloads of New Yorkers were told to stop coming in for a while? The US has blocked us…

Are they still hoping for herd immunity? still not proven there is any, yet.

i really have no idea what the government has been doing that has wasted so much time, caused people to die unnecessarily and is prolonging economic damage.

11. Bagoly says:

“Other people who are staying in the same house as someone who is quarantining do not have to enter quarantine.”
    That is the rule in HK (https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/images/health_advice_travellers_compulsory_quarantine_period_en.jpg), and I think sourced from WHO guidance.
    But Poland realised it was rather ridiculous, and changed it two weeks after the initial lockdown so that if you are quarantining then the whole household must quarantine.