The new HFP chat thread – Friday 29th May

We have decided to run this new daily chat thread on Head for Points.

By default, HFP shows the last page of comments under the article.  If you want to see the first page of comments and read them all from beginning to end in order, click here: https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/29/the-new-hfp-chat-thread-friday-29th-may/comment-page-1.  The page will refresh with this article but the comments will now show the first page and not the last page.

Your cut-out-and-keep guide to the Marriott Bonvoy free breakfast benefit
Up to £500 of freebies for American Express Business Platinum cardholders - but what should you get?

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. Sk123 says:

Curve query – How do you make an AMEX payment by Curve? I’m trying to pay off in bits so the amount isn’t as big. It shows a 5 minute timer and says I need to open my Curve app to verify payment but I am opening the app and nothing happens. There is no text or code via email to enter. I’m quite new to Curve so how does it work?

• If it’s the free blue card you have to have it enabled via the account screen to authorise the 1.5% (I think) fee. Otherwise I don’t know, Curve + Amex is no more for me!

• mr_jetlag says:

Can’t really talk about fight club, but there’s a way to “go around” this.

• Wally1976 says:

?? Any clues? Or email me elwalters1974 [at] aim [dot] com

• Shachar says:

Any chance you can share this as well? Many thanks in advance

shachar bialick (at) curve [dot] com

• Sk123 says:

I have Curve Metal so I don’t know. My main query is when you get the 5 minute timer is on the screen and it says open your Curve app to validate, what do I need to do? I am opening it but there is nothing else to do or any prompt and then the transaction fails.

• Pangolin says:

Pull down from the top of the screen to check for notifications. I had the same problem and would never see it in the app. When I checked the notifications there was one from Curve there and selecting that worked/

• Tom H says:

If not, just delete the app reinstall and it should work fine, did it for my colleague today

2. BuyEMExternalBonds says:

What is everyones thought on Freetrade recent crowdfunding? worth a punt? I put in 1k as a punt, plan to claim EIS relief

• Spaghetti Town says:

Obviously a risk – felt the shares were a bit overpriced?

Not sure how they make money apart from charging £3/month for an ISA, when trading 212 gives you that for free

3. Harry T says:

Anyone stayed at the Gritti Palace? Is it worth 85,000 Bonvoy points for a night in summer? Cash rates are 900 euros flexible, 700 euros prepay (full refund until June 30th).

• It is very much ‘if you like that sort of thing’. It is hundreds of years old and you know it, albeit fully refurbished a couple of years ago. The outdoor terrace on the canal is astonishingly nice in Summer but you can go there if staying elsewhere. One time I stayed there I got an incredibly small room overlooking the six-foot wide side street that runs down to the door, so I’d want water view.

Great location for the shopping and St Marks.

The new St Regis is another option of course.

• Harry T says:

Thanks, Rob. Sounds like it’s better to book cash than points if wanting a water view then, unless a Platinum or above with Marriott?

• As a Titanium at the Gritti I got a minor upgrade to a side room which was a bit larger than the lowest level of room. They were quite busy on that weekend but even as a Titanium I wouldn’t say an upgrade is that likely because it’s not that big a hotel.

• Agree. If you want big, spacious light filled rooms look at the JW Marriott resort which we have reviewed. Good choice if it is not your first time.

• Harry T says:

Thanks, Rob. My first time visiting but I’d rather have a great room at a decent hotel and save the Gritti for when my salary is higher.

• Lady London says:

The light in Venice is quite extraordinary so I would want to be in a room that benefits from this.

• Harry T says:

@LL
            Thanks for the tip. Any hotel recommendations?

• I’d probably pass unless you’re Bonvoy flush as IMO there are better uses of points out there. Stayed there before rates got hiked and shunted (fair enough given a redemption) into possibly the same room as Rob had. Nice place but you aren’t going to be hanging out in the room, and as far as I could tell the communal areas of the hotel are open to non-guests.

• Stunning place but you will get a small (but beautiful IMO) room and almost nil chance of a canal view on points. Most dates 100k in summer now.
      Breakfast very good on the terrace but it should be at 53 Euros.

Personally I’d just go back on the terrace as a non resident for drinks late afternoon. Couple of drinks each 80- 100 Euro. Could pay similar in far worse places.

• Harry T says:

Thanks!

• Lady London says:

Two quite sensible Americans I knew called it “stuffy”. Albeit years ago. One said “it was too nice for me” even though had paid similar rates for business at places like Le Bristol in Paris.

I think Ken’s advice to go for a drink late afternoon is best. I personally would not do Venice in peak summer. It’s beyond overcrowded even not peak or summer.

Whatever happened to the Danieli?

• illuminatus says:

Stayed there about 3 years ago, paid for by a company I was meeting with. It is quite special of course, but personally the room was ‘too much’ for my taste, and I would never pay the cash rate they ask. I liked Centurion Palace, which I chose for my holiday, right on the opposite side of the canal more overall

4. Billdub says:

Any tips on applying for an amex gold card when the applicant has no personal income, but an excellent household income (from the spouse). Application rejected and they recommended trying again in 3 months!

• Chris Heyes says:

[email protected] whats mine is hers, & whats hers is hers that gets round the income issue if you get my drift
      Although you will probably have to wait the 3 months they “now” recommend
      i didn’t have a problem “But wasn’t the Gold”
      they didn’t actully ask where the income came from at the time

5. Secret Squirrel says:

Does Accor have smart algorithms installed for pricing rooms?
    Earlier today I priced up a room at T5, returned this evening to check the price and its gone up over £50.😠
    If I leave it a while, do you think it will drop back down if I do not keep pricing up?

• ChrisBCN says:

Try a different device with a different internet connection. They may have flagged you as a buyer and put the price up for you, it’s technically possible and a small number of companies do this. Also if you’ve ever logged in on the different device as the same person on the first device, use an incognito window.

Other than that, there are airlines that drop the price of some routes on Friday night, only to increase them again Monday morning (to suck up price-sensitive tourists at the weekend, and keeping the prices higher for business travellers booking during office hours) – I don’t know of hotels does this, or do it in reverse like you have experienced!

The most likely thing is that they sold some rooms since you looked earlier!

• Secret Squirrel says:

Cheers, tried on the phone a 3rd time and prices gone down again.

• Lady London says:

i have noticed this on about 3x click same search sometimes but was never sure. Currently logging out and clearing cookies seems to clear it.

Hertz was doing the same thing a lot and the solutions there are various. but in Hertz’s case clearing cookies was not enough. Currently that seems to be enough for Accor.

6. Greece open from 15/6 to visitors from 29 countries but it seems the UK is not one of them! A sign of things to come perhaps.

• Harry T says:

I’m still hoping for Italy at the end of August but wouldn’t be surprised if they took the same measures against UK travellers

• Agreed. If media reports today are to be believed then it seems likely the government is easing lockdown restrictions in England in a way that can probably best be described as inconsistent with scientific advice it has received. If so, then the risk will be greater and prolonged incidence of Covid-19, possibly at levels that will be unacceptable to other countries. Hence, the result will be restrictions imposed on UK-based travellers will also be prolonged compared to those from other countries where incidence is lower.

• The UK could be accused of easing restrictions purely to distract from political issues – nothing to do with the science… That and given the numbers, lots of countries won’t want British tourists for a long time!

• Wouldn’t disagree, BoJo seemed over anxious to take charge this week and flood the media with endless premature announcements, it all reeked of desperation. The real questions that need to be asked now are what does Cummings have on BoJo?

• Lady London says:

🙂

• Harry T says:

Agreed. Boris definitely wouldn’t allow people to have barbecues on a pleasant May weekend to distract from the scandal around his advisor though, of course…

• No, absolutely not, that would be wildly irresponsible.

@BJ, I wonder if it’s similar to whatever Putin has on Trump. If so, that tapes the p!ss.

• @Çat, @Harry, I think it is more likely that under his posturing and bravado Boris just feels insecure and out of his depth and feels reliant on people he can trust to help him get the job done. In this respect what many of us see as shortcomings in Dominic will be seen as essential strengths by Boris. There are parallels with Blair and Campbell but Blair seemed stronger and more competent than Boris from the outset, and became more so as his premiership progressed (until Iraq). Campbell like Cummings was strong and helped to get the job done, but was ultimately perceived as generally reasonable and sensible while there are clearly perceptions of mistrust, soundness etc of Cummings even amongst his own party supporters.

• Aston100 says:

What happened to their attempt at a reciprocal arrangement with the UK the other week?

7. Looks like BA’s LGW cancellation have extended to July. Got my cancellation emails through for Glasgow…

8. Colin MacKinnon says:

Just booked an Edinburgh to London City for 1st and 2nd July with my 241, which is due to expire in October – in the hope that they cancel it and I can then get the 241 valid until 2021 as part of a Future Travel Voucher for a USA trip at New Year.

• Didn’t use a 241 but two of my cancelled to flights to LCY I was rebooked to LHR (from TXL). I did still take a refund on one and intending to take the other in July.

9. Iain miller says:

Advice on partially cancelled flight? BA.

I was due to fly Glasgow to Alicante via Gatwick on the 7th of July.
    BA cancelled the Glasgow Gatwick legs yesterday but not the leg to Alicante.

I know from here that this flight isn’t leaving from Gatwick, but till they do something I’m in limbo.

Phoned depart BA and they offered refund or rebooking…but many holiday destinations are still saying gatwick departures.
    So the chances are I’d book new flights and the same thing happens.

I’m thinking I’ll give it 2 or 3 weeks and see what has developed.

Any other suggestions?

• Andrew says:

Do you still want to go?

At present, Tui, Jet 2 and Easyjet are all showing as having direct timetabled flights to Alicante from GLA. Jet2 Also have a very civilised 10:45 flight from Edinburgh.

What will fly on the 7th July is anyone’s guess.