Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Can you transfer Club Eurostar points to someone else?

In response to a reader email, I wanted to look today at whether you can transfer Club Eurostar points to a friend or family member.

A bit of background ….

Club Eurostar replaced Eurostar Frequent Traveller and Eurostar Plus Points just over two years ago.

We don’t give it much coverage on Head for Points, mainly because it doesn’t run many promotions and we are generally news-driven.  It remains a good scheme, however, and I will occasionally make Membership Rewards transfers from American Express in order to redeem for a ticket.

Remember that free tickets with Club Eurostar are genuinely free – there are no taxes or charges!

This HFP article looks at what Club Eurostar points are worth.

How do you earn Club Eurostar points?

Club Eurostar is fully revenue based for earning, but not for redeeming.

For every £1 spent you earn 1 point.  Tickets priced in € are converted to £.  This is, in all cases, more generous than the previous Eurostar Frequent Traveller earning chart, especially for people on cheaper tickets.

To find out more about how to spend Club Eurostar points, whether on free tickets or by upgrading an existing ticket, read our full review of Club Eurostar here.

Can you transfer Club Eurostar points to someone else?

Can you transfer Club Eurostar points to someone else?

Yes you can.

Whilst Club Eurostar does not have family accounts, it has something even more flexible – points pooling.  You can transfer points to anyone you want, although transfers inwards do not count towards status.

Here are the rules:

• You can share a maximum of 3,000 points in one go
  • You can share a maximum of 6,000 points in each calendar year
  • You can share a maximum of 3,000 points with one member in each calendar year
  • You can share points with a maximum of four people in each calendar year
  • You can receive a maximum of 3,000 points in each calendar year
  • Points have to be shared in multiples of 100

To transfer your points, simple log in at the Eurostar website and look for ‘points pooling’ in the Club Eurostar section.

Can you transfer Club Eurostar points to someone else?

How to earn Club Eurostar points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Club Eurostar does not have its own UK credit card.  However, you can earn Club Eurostar points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 20,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus (20,000 points is a special offer until 29th June 2020)

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 15:1 into Club Eurostar points.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, so you earn the equivalent of 1 Club Eurostar point for every £15 you spend.

American Express Platinum also comes with a great Eurostar benefit – lounge access!  You can enter any Eurostar lounge, irrespective of your ticket type, simply by showing The Platinum Card at the desk.  No guests are allowed but you can get entry for your partner by issuing them with a FREE supplementary Amex Platinum card on your account.

Comments (15)

• Baji Nahid says:

I do wonder if eurostar will extend the status just like the airlines have. Mines is expiring in September 2020 and not sure whether they would but lets hope they do!

• Alex says:

Mine was expiring early May, and I got an email saying because I was between 1800-2399 points they were renewing it for a year. The email wasn’t very clear, but it did sound as if I didn’t need to requalify for next year (à la BA), but I’m waiting for their answer. If I remember about this comment, I’ll come back and update you.

• Ben says:

Yep, for status expiring until end of July, 1800 is enough to get your Carte Blanche renewal. Internal policy hasn’t been decided for August onwards, but you’d imagine that it would be pro-rated at -200 points per month of travel missed.

• Alex says:

So it seems. I’ve had an answer saying this was applied for people between 1st May and 31st July indeed, but that for now the official policy is that I need to get to 2400 points by May 2021 if I want to keep into next year.

It’s going to be hard with no work travel and 1 or 2 trains a day at the moment, especially since March to August is my busiest period and I’ve done zilch since Christmas. But hopefully this quarantine business will disappear at the end of the month.

• Michael C says:

I see Eurostar has great Aug. prices London-Paris…but also understand from the conditions that any offer of a voucher, etc., ends on Aug. 1, so after that, you’d simply lose the ticket if you cancel for any reason, right? (presuming your actual train goes: if they just change the time, does that allow you to cancel?)

• Oli says:

Importantly, points sharing resets the 2-year validity of the points remaining in the account of the sender. Not sure about the receiver.

• Toby says:

Thanks – that’s good to know. Is there currently any way of checking when points will expire without phoning them?

• Genghis says:

Look at your account activity? The date also pulls through on AwardWallet.

• Toby says:

Thanks! I thought at some previous point they expired after 2 years regardless of earning more points, but that appears to not be the case any more.

• sloth says:

the points received have 24m expire from receipt

• Alex says:

Wrong, from their FAQ page:
        “Will my Club Eurostar points expire?

To keep all of your points, you need to earn at least 1 point over the course of two years.”

For Oli: I think it answers your question, sending points won’t reset your clock, but receiving some will.

• Genghis says:

Yep. I sent 1.5k MRs over to Eurostar to reset my points. Not been to Paris for well over a year now!

• Paul74 says:

More generally on Eurostar, according to their website no lounges, on board catering, WiFi or fast track security. As it appears that they are spacing everyone out on the train as well, ot doesn’t look like Standard Premier carries much extra value, at least for now.
    To repeat something I flagged earlier this week, according to their Ts&Cs (7.5) points bookings are non refundable, so covid19 or not, if I’ve read it right, they aren’t as flexible as airline or hotel points.

• Spk says:

Do Amex Plat ICC holders get Eurostar lounge access?

• Lady London says:

Wondering for the future, is anyone aware of any other way of accessing Eurostar lounges than Amex Plat ans Deutsche Bahn 1. cards?