Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

How to earn Virgin Points in-store at Morrisons supermarkets

Virgin Flying Club has brought back its partnership with Morrisons supermarkets, which was suspended at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

You will earn points in Virgin Flying Club for every £1 you spend in-store at Morrisons.

Earn Virgin points at Morrisons

Full details are here.

You need to log in to see how many Virgin Points you will earn.  The earning rate will vary from person to person.  I get:

For purchases under £30, you earn a flat 0.5 Virgin Points per £1

For £30+, you need to log in to your Virgin Flying Club account and check.  Until 2nd December I am earning 8 Virgin Points per £1.  See here (click to enlarge):

Virgin Points at Morrisons

This is very generous.  It doesn’t go beyond 8 points per £1.  Some people seem to have been offered 6 points, whilst others only have the base 0.5 points per £1 irrespective of spending.

In theory, you cannot earn on:

“Cash Back, Tobacco, Fireworks, Saver Stamps, Postage Stamps, Gift Vouchers, Gift Cards, Infant formula/milk, Lottery Online Game, Instant Tickets, ‘Top-up’ Mobile Phone Cards, E Top-up, Photo Printing, Prescription Medicines or on transactions made within the Café, Dry Cleaning, Petrol Stations, Garden Centres and Pharmacy”

However, since gift card purchases are processed at standard tills, you may get the points.

This offer will double up with the current ‘10% back on a £30+ Morrisons’ spend cashback offer currently showing on many American Express cards:

Earn Virgin Points at Morrisons

If you value a Virgin Point at 1p, you are getting a whopping 18% back on your Morrisons spend.

Earn Virgin points at Morrisons

If you don’t collect Virgin Points …..

This offer is part of the Virgin Atlantic in-store shopping scheme.  To sign up, you need to register your credit and debit cards via the link above.   Make sure you register your partners cards as well if they are also likely to visit Morrisons.

If you don’t already have a Virgin Flying Club account, you may want to sign up purely to take advantage of this deal.  At the very worse, you can redeem 12,500 Points for a £50 voucher valid at many Virgin Group companies or for Theatre Tokens.  It is also worth remembering that you can transfer Virgin Points into Hilton Honors points (at 2:3) and IHG Rewards Club points (at 1:1) with a minimum transfer of 10,000 miles.

There are also some exciting new reward partners coming soon – announcement on the way.

PS.  I also have a very generous offer of 8 Virgin Points per £1 spent on taxis booked via the Gett app.  This is only valid when paying with a Visa or Mastercard.

HFP Virgin Atlantic Rewards credit card

How to earn Virgin Points from UK credit cards (November 2020)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Points

As well as the two official Virgin Atlantic credit cards (see here, one has a bonus of 15,000 Points), you can also earn from various American Express cards – and these have sign-up bonuses too.

(Want to earn more Virgin Points?  Click here to see our recent articles on Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club and click here for our home page with the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

Comments (110)

• Harry T says:

For all of you ploughing several K into Morrison’s gift cards, are you confident Morrison’s will survive? I’m not an economist but it seems like a turbulent time for the economy. Although, supermarkets will likely do better than most!

• TGLoyalty says:

Very at least for the next few weeks!

• Super Secret Stuff says:

I’m also very confident about morrisons for the next month or so. Even more confident about Amazon tho!

• the_real_a says:

The issue is more losing the gift card, or the category of “stuff” you want to buy being removed overnight. A few years ago people were buying Sainsburys gift cards in bulk, and they gave 30 days notice shortly afterwards that fuel would be excluded from gift card purchases.

• Char Char says:

There is no doubt Morrison’s will survive, supermarkets are doing the same if not better than last year exc COVID one off costs

• Char Char says:

Also I wouldn’t buy several k for 8 Virgin points unless there is another offer as well

• Freddy says:

Just a warning for those buying Amazon gift cards with this promotion in mind. I got charged and was given the gift card slips by the cashier. Tried one and it’s invalid. Checked the gift card slips and they all say declined! Currently waiting on Morrisons to come back to me as the store didn’t want to know. Think will be a MCOL or chargeback

• MattB says:

My wife has 10% off via NatWest rewards at Morrisons. We’ve never used them before does she have to opt in anywhere or do they always valid?

• R2 says:

The eligible cards should be automatically linked. To double check: in the NatWest ‘my rewards’ website have a look at what cards are registered in the ‘Linked cards and accounts‘ section.

• Baji Nahid says:

Anyone with RBS? and have the 10% morrisons offer? I know Natwest and RBS are kinda the same thing.

• WillPS says:

I have it on my recently opened RBS reward account but not on my longstanding Natwest Reward account.

I’d guess its targeted. I’m not sure this can be stacked though, as the card is registered with Natwest Group in the same way Virgin would register it…

• Lady London says:

I’ve got the Gett taxis 8 points per £1 offer, a few other retail offers that BA offers more on that are not be of interactive, and “No Active Offers” at Morrisons.

Looks like these offers are not universally available.

• Fraser says:

Confusingly. it says I have no offers for in store shopping, but if I click on the provided Morrisons link it offers 0.5 miles per £1.

However, my experience with Shops Away online is they claw back the miles you have earned over a year later, in random amounts with no specific reference, actually leaving me with a negative miles earned balance for the year.

In other words, I see Shops Away as a total rip-off and would avoid it like the plague.