Marriott has made no secret of its desire to push into the ‘all inclusive’ resort sector. As well as being a profitable niche in its own right, ‘all inclusive’ resorts are popular with Marriott Bonvoy members.
Whilst Marriott has substantially increased the number of aspirational Bonvoy redemptions since it acquired Starwood, some people are reluctant to redeem at high end hotels due to the cost of food and drink.
The strategy is that a strong ‘all inclusive’ portfolio will encourage Bonvoy members to spend more across all Marriott hotels in order to earn points for a redemption.
Marriott adds 19 resorts to its ‘Autograph’ brand
Under a deal announced today, Marriott is adding 19 resorts across the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.
This includes Antigua and St Lucia, where Marriott has no properties at the moment.
The resorts are all operated by Sunwing Travel, the Canadian hospitality group. The deal covers 7,000 rooms in total.
18 of the hotels are expected to join Marriott’s ‘Autograph’ brand by ‘mid 2021’. Here is the list:
- 840-room Royalton Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
- 343-room Hideaway at Royalton Riviera Cancun
- 566-room Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Cancun
- 332-room Planet Hollywood Adults Scene Cancun
- 457-room Royalton CHIC Suites Cancun Resort & Spa
- 730-room Royalton Bavaro Resort & Spa
- 320-room Royalton CHIC Punta Cana Resort & Spa
- 525-room Royalton Splash Punta Cana Resort & Spa
- 317-room Royalton Punta Cana Resort & Casino
- 168-room Hideaway at Royalton Punta Cana
- 352-room Royalton White Sands Montego Bay
- 228-room Royalton Blue Waters Montego Bay
- 140-room Hideaway at Royalton Negril
- 407-room Royalton Negril Resort & Spa
- 290-room Royalton Saint Lucia Resort & Spa
- 166-room Hideaway at Royalton Saint Lucia
- 294-room Royalton Antigua Resort & Spa (picture above)
- 294-room Planet Hollywood Beach Resort Costa Rica
Heaven knows what a ‘Planet Hollywood’ beach resort is like – the ‘Planet Hollywood Adult Scene Cancun’ resort is potentially not going to be top of your list for 2022.
In a similar vein, you need to ask how this hotel is meant to sit alongside hotels like The University Arms in Cambridge as an ‘Autograph’ high end boutique property.
However, the Royalton brand has more cache and there are some decent options here. It will be interesting to see how Marriott Bonvoy prices them for points, and indeed how the move to Marriott changes the mix of guests from package tourists to direct bookers.