Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Virgin Atlantic extends status and vouchers for Flying Club members

Virgin Atlantic stole a march on British Airways this morning by announcing a further status and voucher extension, albeit a modest one.

Your Flying Club status is extended by three months

All members will receive an additional three months of status.

Members looking to gain or boost their status will also have an additional three months to achieve it.

Virgin Atlantic had already extended status twice in 2020, by six months each time, so members will have had a total extension of 15 months.

Virgin Flying Club status cards extended by three months

All vouchers are extended by a further three months

If you have any kind of Virgin Atlantic voucher which is still valid on 13th March 2021 – a credit card companion voucher, an upgrade voucher or a Clubhouse voucher – it will be extended by a further three months.

Timing

These changes will not show immediately on your Flying Club account, but they will be there by 12th March.

Please do not call Virgin Atlantic with any queries until after 12th March.

Further details will be supplied to Virgin Flying Club members in an email later today.

HFP Virgin Atlantic Rewards credit card

How to earn Virgin Points from UK credit cards (April 2021)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Virgin Points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.

You can choose from two official Virgin Atlantic credit cards (apply here, one has a bonus of 15,000 Points):

Virgin Rewards credit card

Virgin Atlantic Reward Mastercard

The UK’s most generous free Visa or Mastercard at 0.75 points / £1 Read our full review

Virgin Rewards Plus credit card

Virgin Atlantic Reward+ Mastercard

15,000 points bonus and the most generous non-Amex for day to day spending Read our full review

You can also earn Virgin Points from various American Express cards – and these have sign-up bonuses too.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold is FREE for a year and comes with 20,000 Membership Rewards points, which convert into 20,000 Virgin Points:

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Points

(Want to earn more Virgin Points?  Click here to see our recent articles on Virgin Atlantic and Flying Club and click here for our home page with the latest news on earning and spending other airline and hotel points.)

Comments (32)

• Alex says:

Three months seems a bit harsh, no? 6 months would of been better to get us into summer when travel more likely

• ChrisA says:

I called up to check on my vouchers a couple of days ago. Was on hold for 40 mins, which was ok as I was expecting it and got on with other stuff in the meantime. However, the advisor was clearly frustrated that I was clogging up the lines with this query. Surely there must be a way of us being able to look up this info for ourselves!

• LewisB says:

That means I have two Virgin vouchers now which are BOOK BY not USE BY and expire in December 2022 and April 2023. Wowza.

• ChrisA says:

I think you have to have used the outgoing flight by those dates, but any return flight could be afterwards.

• Oh! Matron! says:

Proof that VS read HfP, as I only asked yesterday 🙂

3 months is a little meagre, as my status expires in June…. But it should be enough

(should be a little easier to get, now we’ve KLM / AF).

• Munch says:

Has anyone completed a successful KLM flight VS tier point run (probably not due to Covid)? I saw a comment some time back where the expected number of Tier points didn’t post? What is a “VS marketed KLM operated flight”? If I book a European flight over 600 miles of the correct class via KLM using my VS membership number would I receive the VS tier points or do I need to book via the Virgin?

• Oh! Matron! says:

When there’s a slight glimmer of hope for travel, I’ll be visiting my friend in Helsinki, then doing a HEL/AMS-CDG/CTA, which should net 400 tier points,

• Jonathan says:

Marketed means the flight number on your booking starts VS even though it’s a KLM/AF flight. It will only apply to short haul connections to a long haul Virgin flight. If you book a stand-alone KLM/AF flight but credit it to Virgin then that is not VS marketed as Virgin won’t sell it with their flight number.

• Littlefish says:

The question as to whether tier points actually post and at the expected rates from KL or AF has not been properly answered from real-world Flying Club experience as far as I’m aware.
        Head for Points articles have been good on the KL and AF (and DL) flight options and points and tier point possibilities. Maybe they’ll do an update once travel is a little more frequent and real world datapoints flow in.
        I do see that despite HfP previously flagging to Virgin, the worrisome (incorrect) “VS marketed KLM operated” qualifier remains on the Flying club webpage for partner earnings.
        While that is still there its going to be difficult to be sure, say, a KL-coded ticket AMS-DTW will earn virgin tier points.
        As with many things with virgin and flying club, its mostly well-meaning and currently customer positive; but the back office and call centre reality struggles to keep up and be aligned.

• Yorkieflyer says:

To remind me, the vouchers were originally issued as travel by, 2 years from date of issue?

• ChrisA says:

I think it was that the outbound had to be travelled by the 2 year expiry; any return needed to have been booked by but could be travelled later.

• Jimmy says:

How long have the vouchers been extended by in total? I have one that was issued in Aug 20, so with 3 months that means it’s valid until Nov 22?

• lgflyer says:

Looks like it only applies to vouchers that were issued before Mar 2020, so your voucher will not be extended

• roberto says:

Be interested to hear if any of us that where status matched against BA also got an extension. Please report back as an when. TIA

• Andrew says:

I was matched to Gold but it is still saying end of February 2022 as the expiry date. Doubly annoying there’s no extension as I applied for the match the day before they changed the match to allow you to wait until the flight month rather than February.

• Andrew says:

Although just seen that the changes won’t be made until 12 March so there’s still a chance.

• OT says:

My match got extended last time so would assume the same would also be the case this time.

• ZW says:

Anyone knows if I could use VS vouchers for flights coming to the UK? Such as New York — London— New York? I think BA 2-4-1 only allows London — New York— London, not the other way around. Thanks!

• tom1 says:

I have used for HKG-Lhr one way – half a voucher.
      In theory I was told I could use the other half for another one way flight.
      VS staff seem to get quite a lot of flexibility to apply these vouchers manually.