REGISTER NOW for Marriott’s new ‘1000 bonus points and double elite nights’ hotel promotion
Links on Head for Points may pay us an affiliate commission. A list of partners is here.
UPDATE – MARCH 2023: This article is now out of date, but don’t worry. We produce a monthly summary of the top hotel bonus point offers – please click HERE or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ menu above.
Click here for our article on Marriott’s Spring promotion, which runs from 7th February to 23rd April. You receive 1,000 bonus points per night and double elite night credits. You can register here.
You will get a 40% bonus when you buy Marriott Bonvoy points by 3rd April. Click here to buy.
Keep up to date with new hotel offers by signing up for our free daily or weekly newsletters.
Marriott Bonvoy has launched its first promotion for 2022.
You can register here.
It is particularly attractive because you will earn double elite night credits on qualifying stays, as well as 1,000 bonus points per night.
What is the new Marriott Bonvoy promotion?
This is how it works in a nutshell:
- the promotion runs from 8th February to 4th May
- registration closes on 20th April
- you must register in advance via this link
- you receive 1,000 bonus points per night and double elite night credits
- there is no minimum stay required
- existing bookings are OK
- reward nights do NOT count for double elite night credits or bonus points
- nights at Homes & Villas by Marriott International, Marriott Executive Apartments and Marriott Vacation Club do NOT count for double elite night credits or bonus points
What sort of return do I get on my spending?
The standard earning rate in Marriott Bonvoy is 10 points per $1 spent, excluding tax.
Converted into £, adjusting for 12.5% VAT, adding in 1000 bonus points and assuming a Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p (as we do), your return would be:
- 14.4% on a £50 night inc VAT
- 9.4% on a £100 night inc VAT
- 7.8% on a £150 night inc VAT
If you have Marriott Bonvoy status, your return will be even higher.
The real value may be in the double elite night credits
For a lot of Marriott Bonvoy members, the real focus will be on the double elite night credits.
The Marriott Bonvoy status levels are:
- Silver Elite – requires 10 nights. Benefit is a 10% bonus on base points and priority late checkout (based on availability)
- Gold Elite – requires 25 nights. Benefits are 25% bonus on base points, room upgrade, high-speed internet, 2pm late check-out (based on availability, not at resorts and conference hotels) and welcome gift.
- Platinum Elite– requires 50 nights. Benefits are 50% bonus on base points, room upgrade to best available room or suite, high-speed internet, lounge access (or breakfast if the lounge is closed), guaranteed late check-out until 4pm (not at resorts) as well as an annual ‘choice benefit’ from five options including 5 elite night credits or 5 suite night awards and welcome gift.
- Titanium Elite – requires 75 nights. Benefits are 75% bonus on base points, an annual ‘choice benefit’ from six options as well as all the benefits enjoyed by Platinum.
- Ambassador Elite – requires 100 nights and $20,000 of annual spending. Benefits include all those of Titanium Elite (there is no increase in points bonus) as well as a 24/7 personal assistant service, the ability to choose the exact 24 hours of your stay.
The full table of elite benefits is here.
Platinum Elite is the sweet spot
For most people, Platinum Elite is the sweet spot.
It triggers the guaranteed 4pm check-out (at most hotels), the annual choice benefit (which most people take as 5 suite night awards), a decent upgrade and lounge access / free breakfast.
Whilst 50 nights is a lot, if you could put a number of stays towards Marriott Bonvoy by early May you could make a dint in that number with double credits.
Don’t forget to get the Marriott Bonvoy American Express card if you are pushing for status
If you are going for Marriott Bonvoy elite status, you’d be crazy not to apply for the Marriott Bonvoy American Express card.
The card comes with 15 elite night credits, for each and every year that you hold it. I have this card and, thanks to the 15 nights, am already on 21 elite nights for the year.
If I can fit in a few stays during this promotion I should be well on my way to renewal. The only snag is that reward nights do not count for double elite night credits. You need to do paid stays.
Our full review of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express card is here.
You can apply for the card here.
It may even be worth a mattress run
With 1,000 bonus points per night, on top of your standard base points, there may even be some merit in a few mattress run nights if you have a cheap (I’m thinking sub-£40) Courtyard or Moxy hotel near you. Check in, ruffle the sheets and walk straight out.
If you have the Marriott Bonvoy American Express card, you’d also be earning 6 points per £1 on your Marriott hotel spending.
The only snag is that we are still very early in the year. These sort of offers work best in Q4 when you have a clear view of how many nights you need to retain status before 31st December.
This is not a hugely generous promotion for earning bonus points, unless the bulk of your stays are around the £50 mark, but it IS very generous if you are looking to earn or renew Marriott Bonvoy status.
I recommend you click here to register now in case you forget – especially as Marriott is being naughty by closing registration early on 20th April.
How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and status from UK credit cards (March 2023)
There are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
The official Marriott Bonvoy American Express card comes with 20,000 points for signing up, 2 points for every £1 you spend and 15 elite night credits per year.
You can apply here.
Marriott Bonvoy American Express
20,000 bonus points and 15 elite night credits Read our full review
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points by converting American Express Membership Rewards points at the rate of 2:3.
Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card? It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here and you can apply here.
The Platinum Card from American Express
30,000 points and unbeatable travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points indirectly:
- American Express Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card (10,000 bonus Amex points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Business Platinum (40,000 bonus Amex points)
Until 30th March 2023, the sign up bonus on American Express Business Platinum is increased to 120,000 Membership Rewards points – click here. The bonus on American Express Business Gold is increased to 60,000 Membership Rewards points – click here. T&C apply, see the application forms for details.
The conversion rate from American Express to Marriott Bonvoy points is 2:3.
Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which can be used to earn Marriott Bonvoy points.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)