Whilst this probably wasn’t meant to be the plan, a good cashback deal for Air France has turned up on many British Airways American Express cards, plus various other Amex products. In my house we have it on various Preferred Rewards Gold and Platinum cards.
This appears to include Virgin Atlantic flights to the US if they have an Air France flight number.
Here are terms, if you are targeted:
- get £150 cashback when you spend £1,000+ online with Air France
- bookings must be made by 25th July 2023
- there are no restrictions on travel dates
- cumulative spend is OK
- you must book via the Air France UK website here
- flights must depart from London Heathrow, Birmingham, Edinburgh, Manchester or Newcastle
- all cabin classes are included
You need to be careful about partner flights, since the Air France website shows Air France, KLM, Delta and Virgin Atlantic services amongst others. Looking at the rules, a Virgin Atlantic or other partner flight with an AF flight number should be OK. A flight without an AF flight number is probably not OK.
Flight cashback deals work differently to other Amex cashback deals. Amex receives detailed information from airlines on the exact flight and cabin class booked so it is easy for it to block the cashback if you book a flight which does not have an AF flight number.
You need to book via the Air France UK site here.
How to earn Flying Blue miles from UK credit cards (September 2023)
Air France and KLM do not have a UK Flying Blue credit card. However, you can earn Flying Blue miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.
These cards earn Membership Rewards points:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 20,000 Flying Blue miles. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with four free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 30,000 Flying Blue miles
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 10,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 10,000 Flying Blue miles. This card is FREE for life.
Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Flying Blue miles which is an attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Flying Blue mile. The Gold card earns double points (2 per £1) on all flights you charge to it.