Marriott Bonvoy has launched its Autumn promotion.
You can register here.
It has two elements to it:
- you earn 1,500 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points per stay
- you earn an extra 3,000 points for every three brands you stay at
This means, in theory, you could earn 2,500 bonus points per stay, although in reality it is likely to be less.
What is the new Marriott Bonvoy promotion?
This is how it works in a nutshell:
- the promotion runs from 12th September to 6th December
- registration closes on 22nd November
- you must register in advance via this link
- you receive 1,500 bonus points per stay
- you receive 3,000 bonus points for every third brand you stay at
- there is no minimum stay required
- existing bookings are OK
- reward nights do NOT count
- nights at the Ritz Carlton Yacht Collection, Homes & Villas by Marriott Bonvoy, Marriott Executive Apartments and owner-occupied weeks at vacation clubs do not count
The wording in the rules contradicts itself over whether you can earn the ‘three brands’ bonus multiple times. I am assuming that you can, if you visit enough brands.
What sort of return do I get on my spending?
The standard earning rate in Marriott Bonvoy is 10 points per $1 spent, excluding tax.
We assume a Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p so the 1,500 bonus points are worth £7.50 per stay. This clearly means that short stays at cheaper brands come out best.
However, the carrot of an additional £15-worth (3,000) of points for hitting three brands means that it may be worth moving stays around to maximise your return.
You will obviously earn base points and any elite status bonuses as well as the bonus points.
Holders of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express credit card will continue to earn 6 Marriott Bonvoy points per £1 spent at Bonvoy hotels (2 points per £1 spent elsewhere). Our full review of the Marriott Bonvoy American Express card is here. You can apply for the card here.
This isn’t the most generous promotion that Marriott has ever run, but business remains strong and you should arguably be grateful for anything at all.
What is interesting is that there is NOT a ‘double elite nights’ element, meaning that Bonvoy must be happy with the number of members who are on track to earn or retain status for 2024.
I recommend you click here to register now in case you forget – especially as Marriott is being naughty by closing registration early on 22nd November.
How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and status from UK credit cards (September 2023)
There are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
The official Marriott Bonvoy American Express card comes with 20,000 points for signing up, 2 points for every £1 you spend and 15 elite night credits per year.
You can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points by converting American Express Membership Rewards points at the rate of 2:3.
Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card? It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here and you can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points indirectly:
- American Express Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card (10,000 bonus Amex points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Business Platinum (40,000 bonus Amex points)
The conversion rate from American Express to Marriott Bonvoy points is 2:3.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)