Marriott Bonvoy is winding up its latest deal if you buy their hotel points.
Via this page of the website, you will get a bonus of 30% on all points purchases.
The minimum purchase to get the bonus is 2,000 points.
There are two things to note:
- the bonus is NOT tapered – you get 30% extra even if you only buy 2,000 points
- the annual purchase cap has been temporarily raised to 150,000 points – allowing you to buy 195,000 points, including the bonus, for $1,875
You are paying 0.75p per point here which is substantially more than my rule of thumb that a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p.
It’s not even the most generous bonus of the year, or even of the season – we had a 40% bonus immediately before this one launched.
However, you might find it worthwhile if:
- you are topping off your account before making a points booking, or
- you are close to 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points and want to make a transfer into airline miles (you get a bonus of 5,000 airline miles when you transfer 60,000 Bonvoy points into 20,000 airline miles in most programmes), or
- you are planning a stay at a property where you know you will get outsized value
Outsize value is still possible, despite Marriott Bonvoy moving towards revenue-based redemptions. With no reward charts still available, however, you need to look at it on a case by case basis. I recently saw the Courtyard Oxford hotel at 20,000 points or £360, for example – a whopping 1.8p per point.
The page to buy is here.
The offer ends tonight, 20th December.
How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points and status from UK credit cards (March 2024)
There are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards. Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses.
The official Marriott Bonvoy American Express card comes with 20,000 points for signing up, 2 points for every £1 you spend and 15 elite night credits per year.
You can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points by converting American Express Membership Rewards points at the rate of 2:3.
Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card? It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Premium and MeliaRewards Gold status. We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here and you can apply here.
You can also earn Marriott Bonvoy points indirectly:
- American Express Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Rewards Credit Card (10,000 bonus Amex points)
and for small business owners:
- American Express Business Gold (20,000 bonus Amex points)
- American Express Business Platinum (40,000 bonus Amex points)
The conversion rate from American Express to Marriott Bonvoy points is 2:3.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Offers’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)