@JDB I find it ridiculous that Amex’s second level product “Gold” has better features than it’s leading supposedly premier offering “Plat”. You would think they would be adding the 2MR on foreign spend on the latter, but then many an Amex decision makes one bat an eyelid.
It’s only better if you value the benefit. You might get 2MR points on foreign spend but you have to pay FX fee which cancels out some of that. There are a number of FX free cards that you can use. For people whose % of total spend in other currency are not that high, the 2MR benefit before FX fee is very low.
I think the very valid point @zapato1060 was making is that it is ridiculous for the most expensive flagship of Amex’s ‘big 3’ to have the lowest earnings rate. It’s also advertises itself as “Designed to heighten your travels” when it is in fact a highly undesirable card to use abroad.
New to Head for Points?
Welcome! We’re the UK’s most-read source of business travel, Avios, frequent flyer and hotel loyalty news. Let us improve how you travel. Got any questions? Ask them in our forums.
Latest Forum Posts
- Man of Kent on Washington DC and Seattle things to do/see?
- Cornell on Free 8000 Virgin Red points for [some] 02 customers
- aso40 on Anyone received TP/Avios yet on a Cathay P Class Business ticket?
- can2 on Chat thread – Monday 26th February
- jintycat on Car hire in New Zealand advice
- Pogonation on BA companion voucher anomaly
- Alex G on BA companion voucher anomaly
- yonasl on 120 Tier Points Urgently Needed
- NorthernLass on 120 Tier Points Urgently Needed
- NorthernLass on Chat thread – Monday 26th February
Check reward flight availability instantly for free!
Booking a luxury hotel?
Our luxury hotel booking service offers you GUARANTEED extra benefits over booking direct. Works with Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, The Ritz Carlton, St Regis and more. We've booked £1.7 million of rooms to date. Click for details.