Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Destination advice Madrid

• Supergers49 225 posts

Good Morning HfP Community.

My wife and I are going to Madrid this weekend and I’m after a couple of recommendations:

(1) Tapas Restaurant – preferably small / family run affair.

(2) Bar to watch Atletico v Cadiz – ideally an “Atletico Bar” or somewhere likely to have a good atmosphere.

TIA

yonasl 954 posts

Asking for a Tapas bar in Madrid is like wanting a “good pub” in London haha.

You can do two things: 1) just walk around and find a place with lots of people and good “ambiente” (ambience). 2) if you are central you cannot go wrong in the area of Calle Doctor Castelo. Try La Castela, La Monte o La Monteria or any of the many places around there. Mercado de San Anton and all the area around Chueca is also filled with small bars with different vibes.

With your second question I am less familiar but usually Atletico fans will be in the south of town (more blue collar if you want). Can be a little cliche but their stadium also used to be there.

For other places to eat that I can recommend:
    – El Pimiento Verde: a good chain of Basque food. They have a few around town and I am sure they will have an english menu if in need.
    – La Cantina De La Maquina: An Asturian taberna in case you are staying in the north part of town

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Supergers49 225 posts

Thanks Yonsal. Much appreciated.

Jacob 223 posts

I can recommend a Tapas walking tour. We were a small group of 6 and visited about 5 different tapas bars with a great guide. We got to try out a number of meals and drinks + some interesting facts.

Michael C 667 posts

Just be aware that the very “footballistic” bars are some way beyond mere family fun…!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.