Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 2-4-1 redemption upgrade, not charged?

• buzzmonkey 15 posts

Last week I booked out 241 avios redemption to the Carribbean. As we didn’t have quite enough points we decided to go one way club world and the other way WTP.

On Monday we decided to call and pay the extra taxes (and bought extra points) to “upgrade” the WTP flight to CW.

All has been confirmed and can see the CW booking in executive club… The weird thing is I can’t see a pending payment on my CC for the extra fees (approx £200) and the avios balance hasn’t been reduced.

I’m tempted to get a refund on our avios points purchase (£325) if BA have cocked up and not charged us for the upgrade…

RobL 72 posts

You have to ask yourself one question.

Are you feeling lucky……?

buzzmonkey 15 posts

Thanks Rob! Think we’ll leave it a week and see where we are.

Aside, you’ve reminded me of this classic https://youtu.be/xMkHKC8O4i8

Thegasman 203 posts

It needs reticketing which is a manual process with often long delays. Payment will be taken when this happens.

There’s a known issue where if they don’t process payment in a reasonably short period the pre authorisation drops off & they have to call you to take payment details again. There are reliable reports of people who have missed/ignored these calls & ended up travelling in the original cabin (or not at all).

BA’s IT is often flaky but it’s very good at matching up reservations (what you currently have) with payments. This isn’t a gamble I’d take so if you get to 1 week before departure & the payment hasn’t been taken you need to call up & cough up or you’ll be sitting in WTP.

TGLoyalty 533 posts

“ All has been confirmed and can see the CW booking in executive club”

But do you have ticket numbers starting 125-?

As above keep an eye on it as you may not end up on the flight at all without that.

RobL 72 posts

Thanks Rob! Think we’ll leave it a week and see where we are.

Aside, you’ve reminded me of this classic https://youtu.be/xMkHKC8O4i8

That made me laugh.

buzzmonkey 15 posts

“ All has been confirmed and can see the CW booking in executive club”

But do you have ticket numbers starting 125-?

As above keep an eye on it as you may not end up on the flight at all without that.

Yep! Just checked our e-ticket receipt and we all have 125- ticket numbers… Not sure what that means!

Surely we’d be sitting in CW if we have reserved CW seating that is confirmed on BAs system? Pretty annoying if we have to call to fix their problem… BAs lines have been terrible of late.

buzzmonkey 15 posts

It needs reticketing which is a manual process with often long delays. Payment will be taken when this happens.

There’s a known issue where if they don’t process payment in a reasonably short period the pre authorisation drops off & they have to call you to take payment details again. There are reliable reports of people who have missed/ignored these calls & ended up travelling in the original cabin (or not at all).

BA’s IT is often flaky but it’s very good at matching up reservations (what you currently have) with payments. This isn’t a gamble I’d take so if you get to 1 week before departure & the payment hasn’t been taken you need to call up & cough up or you’ll be sitting in WTP.

How would this work with avios points? As I’ve just purchased 20k points to make up the needed points for the upgrade – account still hasn’t had the avios points deducted. If I were to request an avios purchase refund (14 day policy) would my avios balance then go into negative? Very confusing what happens next.

May just leave well alone!

MattB 261 posts

Probably best to just leave for now, you never know when they may take them down the line.

I made a holiday booking and upgraded both legs for 2 people which was 80k avios, but they were never debited. I made the booking 11 months out and kept checking back wondering whether i should say anything, but a few weeks out COVID hit and was refunded just the cash so the system obviously realised they were never taken to begin with.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.