Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 2-4-1 voucher booking. Open Jaw on Iberia and BA and Stopover possibilities

• ajrbrown76 7 posts

Hi,

I’m looking to at getting reward seats to Central/South America this summer. I know with the 2-4-1 Amex Voucher bookings that you have to call to book Open Jaw awards. Is it possible to combine BA and Iberia flights or do both have to be on same airline? (eg Out BA to Lon-Rio, Return IB BUE-MAD-LON)

Also, some of the Iberia and BA flights aren’t direct (but one flight) For instance the new LGW-Georgetown (Guyana) flights goes via St Lucia. Is it possible to include a stopover without using additional points?

Thanks

marks7389 425 posts

It should be possible to combine BA and Iberia flights. Certainly online searches with a new style voucher present such options which implies that it is, although I think some people have reported errors at the payment stage when trying to book them online.

Avios redemptions are priced by ‘sector’, which means you will normally pay more for additional flights whether or not you are stopping over or simply connecting. That would not normally apply where a flight continues to a second destination and you continue on with it on the same day, but it almost certainly will if you stop and then continue to the ‘tag’ destination some days later.

ajrbrown76 7 posts

Thanks, good to know the mixed airline should be possible. I’ll need to call for an open-jaw anyway so should negate any online issues.

As for the stopover i suspected that would be the case – just hoped there might be a cheeky loophole hiding in plain sight!

NorthernLass 7,590 posts

Someone did this – either on LHR-NAS-GCM or LHR-NAS-PLS, can’t remember now. They had to book to NAS then separately onwards. However, these are short flights and not worth doing in business so you’d only be paying the economy avios/surcharges. You could absolutely “nest” a trip as part of your booking – so you could book outbound to St Lucia and inbound from Rio as this falls within the open jaw rules (unless my Geography is seriously off!) with a detour to Guyana booked separately.

**Depending on St-Lucia-Guyana being a similar operation to NAS-GCM, of course!

steviewander 11 posts

I am hoping to use an open jaw BA 2-4-1 companion voucher with Iberia from Madrid to Mexico City and returning from Cancún to London Heathrow on BA.

Is this allowed given my departing airport from Madrid isn’t the same as my return final destination to London Heathrow?

ringingup 178 posts

I am hoping to use an open jaw BA 2-4-1 companion voucher with Iberia from Madrid to Mexico City and returning from Cancún to London Heathrow on BA.

Is this allowed given my departing airport from Madrid isn’t the same as my return final destination to London Heathrow?

Yes, I booked a MAD-MIA on IB and MIA-LHR on BA.

marks7389 425 posts

That would be challenging given that BA doesn’t fly from Cancun to London Heathrow, only Gatwick. 🙂

But Iberia Express does offer services from Gatwick to Madrid if you need to start and end your trip at the same UK airport.

bobthebuilder 28 posts

Yes, I booked a MAD-MIA on IB and MIA-LHR on BA.

How did you book this? Did you book the first leg on the Iberia website, and then call BA to add the second leg back to Heathrow?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,084 posts

How did you book this? Did you book the first leg on the Iberia website, and then call BA to add the second leg back to Heathrow?

If you are using a BA 2-4-1 you have to book it via the BA website.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.