Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express 2 days late paying BA Premium Plus Amex

• pointsfan 38 posts

Hi,

My direct debit payment was not set up and I ended up paying my bapp 2 days late. Does anyone know if this will impact my Crdit rating?

It’s my first time paying late.

Thanks!

points_worrier 294 posts

It is worth contacting them, explaining the situation that you thought DD was set up, and asking nicely if they can refund the late charge and/or remove it from your credit record.
    Unofficially they allow a few days grace before reporting to credit agency, but it is worth asking nicely if they can completely expunge (assuming payment fully made now). Worse they can say is no.

Full implications could include
    – loss of welcome bonus
    – interest charge in full balance from time of purchase (no interest free period), including for this statement period for purchases you are about to make.
    – fee for late payment
    – credit report mark for lateness.

Try and get them to agree to waive as many of these as possible. I’d try and speak to Brighton on the week.

Gary 293 posts

Had similar DD situation when I started with Amex Plat. CSA wasn’t too fussed and explicitly said would not affect credit history, however, as above ring ASAP.

pointsfan 38 posts

Thanks both – I will call on Monday and report back

Andrew J 769 posts

Amex customer service is open 24/7, so you can call now.

Harrier25 849 posts

It is very careless though missing the payment date, whether you thought a direct debit is set up or not.

pointsfan 38 posts

It is very careless though missing the payment date, whether you thought a direct debit is set up or not.

Yeah it was careless.

What is the best number to call Brighton? I’ve got a platinum card too so was thinking of calling the number on the back of that – 0800 917 8054.

Harrier25 849 posts

01273 696933

alig4th 322 posts

It’s pot luck wherever you get through to the UK or an overseas call centre. When you do call the number on the back of the card, whoever you get through to, ask if they’re based in the UK. If not, politely ask to be transferred to a UK based rep.

zapato1060 617 posts

Does anyone know how the interest works. Ive paid must of it off so no payment needed it specifically states but have a £300 ish balance. Does anyone if interest accrues on it or is it like other cards where you get 56 days etc on purchases?!

NorthernLass 7,461 posts

Which card are you referring to? But with most credit cards (unless you have a 0% deal which Amex doesn’t offer), you have to pay off the full statement balance prior to the payment date set by the card provider or you will be charged interest on the entire statement balance, not just any amount you have outstanding from that.

jj 516 posts

Credit reference agency reporting is driven by rules set up by the obtusely named SCOR, the Steering Committee for Reciprocity. SCOR requires lenders to give a grace period for first missed payments to allow for technical issues like this, but many lenders don’t have systems that follow the rules.

Your credit file is unlikely to be flagged unless you were in arrears over a calendar month end. But, to be safe, I would get a credit report from all three agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) in about 6 weeks time and check. If necessary, you can seek a correction due to the grace period requirements.

The interest charges are likely to be more of a problem. Was the DD issue your fault or Amex’s?

John 1,000 posts

Amex DDs are taken 2 weeks before the due date so if you thought you had a DD set up there isn’t really any excuse to not notice for 2 weeks, unless you were hospitalised or something.

4 years ago I paid Amex late by one day, which was completely my fault as I was moving the DD to a new account and had to pay manually, but I wrote the wrong due date in my diary. Nothing ever came of it, no warnings, no interest and nothing on credit reports.

Interest is accrued daily, but generally only added at statement time. If you pay in full on time then the interest is waived. The amount of interest would be based on the daily balance since the last statement, so “uncompound” the APR to a simple rate and divide it by 365, then apply the daily rate to every transaction on the late paid statement, for the number of days from posting to the day it was paid. If interest appears on the next statement, pay it off immediately and do not wait for the due date, otherwise more interest will accrue on that interest between the statement date until the day it is paid off.

Had a weird experience with Tesco as apparently your DD needs to be set up before the start of a statement period, otherwise it won’t be taken for that statement, i.e. you need to set it up at least 7 weeks in advance and pay the next 1 or 2 statements manually. The call centre agent called me stupid for “not knowing this” and didn’t believe that I had 10 credit cards, but I got £50 compensation.

pointsfan 38 posts

Credit reference agency reporting is driven by rules set up by the obtusely named SCOR, the Steering Committee for Reciprocity. SCOR requires lenders to give a grace period for first missed payments to allow for technical issues like this, but many lenders don’t have systems that follow the rules.

Your credit file is unlikely to be flagged unless you were in arrears over a calendar month end. But, to be safe, I would get a credit report from all three agencies (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) in about 6 weeks time and check. If necessary, you can seek a correction due to the grace period requirements.

The interest charges are likely to be more of a problem. Was the DD issue your fault or Amex’s?

Thanks for this info. Hopefully I won’t need to go down this route but it’s useful to know anyway.

I’ve called Brighton office and they said they will ask the appropriate internal Amex team if they can ensure it doesn’t impact my credit rating. Will call me back next week to confirm the outcome of the internal request.

anglo1558 4 posts

Hi @pointsfan, did anything ever happen with this? Have had a similar situation today with my Platinum card, making my first-ever late payment about 10 hours (or so) late. Argh.

zapato1060 617 posts

If its first time, the late fee will be refunded as per many CCs. As for the credit agency, as long as you contact AMEX itll be fine. It seems to be if you go 2/3 weeks without paying back the late payment.

anglo1558 4 posts

If its first time, the late fee will be refunded as per many CCs. As for the credit agency, as long as you contact AMEX itll be fine. It seems to be if you go 2/3 weeks without paying back the late payment.

Thank you — I did speak to them yesterday (twice) via chat on the app. They both seemed to suggest they had no control over the credit score reporting, but that they would happily refund any late fee (they say the payment, which was via bank transfer, has not yet officially posted to my account).

I am hoping it’s a similar situation to @John whereby it was soon enough after the deadline to not be reported. Just wondering if @pointsfan had any luck with them.

iamlost 108 posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but back in 2018 I missed my Amex Gold Card payment by 1 day (as I live life on the edge without a DD, and I had a bout of forgetfulness having been sent to New York for work unexpectedly last minute). Amex were absolutely lovely about reversing the late payment fee and returning the points they’d forfeited from me. I was told it shouldn’t make its way to my credit report, but lo and behold 5 years later I’m still waiting for the missed payment to disappear from my credit history.

anglo1558 4 posts

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but back in 2018 I missed my Amex Gold Card payment by 1 day (as I live life on the edge without a DD, and I had a bout of forgetfulness having been sent to New York for work unexpectedly last minute). Amex were absolutely lovely about reversing the late payment fee and returning the points they’d forfeited from me. I was told it shouldn’t make its way to my credit report, but lo and behold 5 years later I’m still waiting for the missed payment to disappear from my credit history.

That’s unfortunate. May I ask, how badly did it impact your credit score, and has it recovered over time? We’re you able to get it back up reasonably quickly?

JDB 4,333 posts

‘Credit score’ is a number made up by credit reference agencies in the hope of selling you services and isn’t a metric used by credit providers who have their own scoring systems. If Amex notes the late payment on your file, each provider will attach varying weight to that factor. It will take some time to settle down as a one off missed payment may not cause too much trouble but say two missed payments in a matter of months would be very bad.

iamlost 108 posts

That’s unfortunate. May I ask, how badly did it impact your credit score, and has it recovered over time? We’re you able to get it back up reasonably quickly?

It was a pretty small decrease that only took about 6 months to get back to my old score, so I didn’t lose any sleep over it. I think one small ding like that in an otherwise unblemished record isn’t a big deal.

anglo1558 4 posts

It was a pretty small decrease that only took about 6 months to get back to my old score, so I didn’t lose any sleep over it. I think one small ding like that in an otherwise unblemished record isn’t a big deal.

Thanks! Appreciate it. Was an unfortunate one-off, so hoping it will be the same (at worst!). Thanks, everybody.

kai 77 posts

Happened to me years ago. The CSA was happy to refund the charge but unfortunately the late payment record showed up in my credit history and stuck for like 5 years? It had minimum impact though and I never had any problem getting a credit card or other loan contracts.

zapato1060 617 posts

Paid interest on Plat yesterday for not paying it all off on time. Doh! Havent paid interest in any of my CCs for a good decade or more. Live and learn.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.