Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 241: Adding Regional Flight & Refund of 50% of Return Leg Avios

• Olispence 4 posts

Hi!

After much stress and two nights of failed phone calls and online bookings, it was third time lucky this evening and I have just managed to bag SIN>LHR club suites for 08/01 meaning the dream honeymoon will be a reality.

Firstly, thanks for all of the advice on this forum and site in general!

A final question for those well-educated in the workings of BA.

– As SIN>LHR arrives into LHR the following morning, I will need to add a flight back to MAN. I gather I can do this on the phone on Sunday

– I booked the return leg online, so need to go through the rigmarole of getting the excess Avios back which I understand is best done via twitter at the moment.

My question is, should I do one of the above actions before the other, or doesn’t it matter?

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

You’ll have to call anyway to add your domestic connection so you may as well ask for the 50% avios refund at the same time.

Don’t ask for the 2 legs to be “linked” or “merged”. You want to say that you booked your return flight separately because it had not been released when you booked the outbound, you need to add the connection because this was also not available when you booked the inbound, and that you are also requesting a refund of the extra avios you used.

You will be left with 2 separate bookings on 2 PNRs.

BA agents vary in how knowledgeable/helpful they are so you may need to call more than once to get it done!

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,252 posts

@Rob I think we need a new article on booking 2-4-1s which can just be linked to instead of people answering the same questions over and over again.

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

Indeed – though the question here about the order of doing things was one I thought would be really difficult to find the answer to.

A very simple step by step guide would be helpful, worded so that it leaves no room for misinterpretation (or further questions 😂)

To dare is to do 133 posts

@Rob I think we need a new article on booking 2-4-1s which can just be linked to instead of people answering the same questions over and over again.

It won’t make a scrap of difference people are inherently lazy and will take the easy option of posting a new question. If they just bothered to read the t&c of what they sign up for they would know the answers already.

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

To be fair, there’s nothing in the Ts & Cs about booking the return and all the shenanigans you have to go through because the voucher can’t be used in two halves!
    I know it took me a while to get the hang of it; the first time I used the voucher for a long haul CW flight I simply couldn’t get my head round the concept of calling and asking for the avios back so I essentially wasted half the 241.
    I’ve got a lot better in the intervening period!
    But a step by step guide would at least be easier to refer people to than lots of different articles and threads.

Aston100 1,449 posts

It won’t make a scrap of difference people are inherently lazy and will take the easy option of posting a new question. If they just bothered to read the t&c of what they sign up for they would know the answers already.

That’s quite unfair.
    This site doesn’t have a normal working search facility or an easily accessible list of FAQs

Aston100 1,449 posts

That’s quite unfair.
    This site doesn’t have a normal working search facility or an easily accessible list of FAQs

heb999 17 posts

I booked my return flights ex HKG last night online at midnight. I had tried ringing the USA office but the agent was adamant that I needed to ring a different number, which I did, but nobody answered. Rang BA at 0800 this morning and the very helpful agent knew exactly that I wanted 50% avios back. She then kindly linked the bookings so that if I need to cancel I would only lose 1 x £35. Very quickly done.

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

Have you still got 2 PNRs (the 6-figure booking references)?

heb999 17 posts

Yes, we have 2 x PNRs.

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

Then it’s still 2 separate bookings and you would have to pay £35 to cancel or change either. Also it’s charged per passenger, not per booking, so to cancel the whole trip would be £140. You can test this by doing a “dummy” cancellation – on the final page before you confirm, it will show the cash amount you would be refunded.

heb999 17 posts

The agent confirmed that it would only be £35 per person. Hopefully, I won’t need to test it. Thanks for your advice.

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

Unfortunately BA agents are often wrong! See the numerous recent posts here about agents saying they can’t refund 50% avios or book return legs.

On the plus side, if you want to change your plans for either your outbound or inbound, it’s much easier with separate bookings. I actually prefer to keep them separate for this reason on some trips.

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,252 posts

But want it would mean is people like Northern Lass would just be able to post a link to the updated article and not have to type anything else!

JDB 4,643 posts

Yes, it would actually be a pointless exercise for the reason you state – people still ask basic questions that show they haven’t read even recent articles on a raft of topics and also there are too many permutations about booking a 241 and getting 50% back as one has read from individual experiences, plus it’s an unofficial BA practice that could change at any time.

NorthernLass 8,260 posts

Possibly a FAQ (with caveats, as per @JDB) would be the answer. As it is though, people continually posting essentially the same question are pushing more interesting and valuable threads out of sight!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.