Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 241 FTV form suggests companion voucher will be reinstated, not extended?

• LemonBars 16 posts

Hi All, I have searched the most recent threads on the forum re: extending companion vouchers via FTV. I went to the “request a FTV” page, and it has the following note: “If you have an Avios Reward Flight Saver, Reward Flight, Companion or Gold Upgrade Voucher booking, please note that by submitting this form you will be given a refund and your Companion or Gold Upgrade Voucher will revert back to the original expiry date.” this seems to suggest that I cannot use the form to extend the 241s by embedding them in an FTV and I will just get a refund? Do I need to call the support line to cancel instead? Would welcome people’s guidance based on recent experiences, as I have two vouchers imminently expiring that I’ve made a booking with.

Cranzle 279 posts

I don’t recall the ins and outs, but I distinctly recall the process being misleading (or perhaps in typical BA fashion, a lie). I bit the bullet and when through with the process and my companion voucher does now appear to be within the FTV, but as you describe, the process leading up to it suggested otherwise.

I couldn’t find a detailed, step by step description anywhere so had to take a small leap of faith.

LemonBars 16 posts

I don’t recall the ins and outs, but I distinctly recall the process being misleading (or perhaps in typical BA fashion, a lie). I bit the bullet and when through with the process and my companion voucher does now appear to be within the FTV, but as you describe, the process leading up to it suggested otherwise.

Thank you – I may try calling as then I can perhaps at least get some sort of verbal confirmation of what will happen…

NorthernLass 8,220 posts

People on here have made bookings with these vouchers and I’ve not seen any reports that the 241 element isn’t being honoured.

JDB 4,630 posts

Thank you – I may try calling as then I can perhaps at least get some sort of verbal confirmation of what will happen…

The issue is that the original expiry date of your companion voucher technically doesn’t change, but that while it sits inside the FTV (and any subsequent booking) it can be used for all travel to be completed by end Sep 2023. If however, you cancelled for cash the voucher would be returned with its original expiry date. Also, if you cancel a booking made with the FTV, there is a risk that the voucher will be expired unless they extend the BWC/FTV policy.

LemonBars 16 posts

Thanks all. What has really thrown me is the wording on the website which very clearly seems to say that if you request an FTV the booking is just cancelled for a refund, and you get the Companion Voucher back. However, it sounds like people are not experiencing that – unless the wording and IT has changed very recently?

LemonBars 16 posts

See link here and wording and checkbox at the bottom

JDB 4,630 posts

See link here and wording and checkbox at the bottom

Indeed it looks as though they have changed the wording on the application page you linked above and also the T&Cs /FAQs referenced on that page that now say:

“If you had a Reward Flight, Reward Flight Saver, Companion or Gold Upgrade Voucher booked, will you be able to get a voucher?

No. Should you apply for a voucher you will be given a refund instead. Avios will be credited back to your account and taxes, fees and charges will be refunded to the original form of payment.

In addition, your Companion or Gold Upgrade voucher will revert back to the original expiry date.”

JDB 4,630 posts

Unfortunately, this was always the risk if they really have changed the policy, but it makes sense in the context of the automatic refunding some FTVs they have been doing not to create new ones.

Cranzle 279 posts

I don’t think they’ve changed the wording, it was almost certainly like that 4-5 months ago when I converted mine.

NorthernLass 8,220 posts

So you can now get a refund again online – but only for journeys completed by the BWC date? This sounds as though they are intending to bin as many 241s and other vouchers as possible to reduce their liability. Although someone did say they got a 241 voucher back recently with an extension so who knows?!

I hope they keep track of when FTVs were issued as I’ve got 2 which should have 241s incorporated.

tiriavpo 316 posts

That wording does sound ominous – I don’t recall it saying that before.

I wonder if any web geeks can tell when that page was updated???

LemonBars 16 posts

I’ll try the call centre tomorrow and see if I can specifically request a FTV not refund, but the phrasing and checkbox are pretty unambiguous!

tiriavpo 316 posts

There’s definitely been a change as the BWC policy has been extended to travel planned to be completed by the end of September 22 (was 31 Aug):

You can claim a voucher to the value of your booking if your journey is due to be completed by 30 September 2022.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/incident/coronavirus/vouchers-refunds

• This reply was modified 54 years, 5 months ago by .
    Erico1875 150 posts

Looks like I’ve left it too late!
    I’ve a 2 4 1 expiring 16 March. No point going through the hassle of booking and cancelling flights if the voucher expiry date is not extended

Cranzle 279 posts

I’ve a 2 4 1 expiring 16 March. No point going through the hassle of booking and cancelling flights if the voucher expiry date is not extended

You’ve literally got little/nothing to lose and it’s not a lot of hassle. In my opinion, nothings changed, the wording has always been misleading

tiriavpo 316 posts

Possibly – keep an eye on the expiry date. There are several reports over on Flyertalk about 241s being extended – which would be a better solution than going through the FTV process which effectively ‘wastes’ a lot of rewards seats, as all those cancelled bookings don’t necessarily go back into the available inventory.

Rma 28 posts

All rather vague. If you already have a FTV with a 2 for 1 included, can we assume (gamble?) that the voucher will be extended so can be used till September 2023? Does the wording above only apply to cancellations being instigated now? I thought I had read all the small print at the time, but did I, and many others miss this clause?

Cranzle 279 posts

Possibly – keep an eye on the expiry date. There are several reports over on Flyertalk about 241s being extended – which would be a better solution than going through the FTV process which effectively ‘wastes’ a lot of rewards seats, as all those cancelled bookings don’t necessarily go back into the available inventory.

Are those Flyertalk reports for 241 companion voucher extensions recent? I’d be surprised if BA would officially extend them given many people have already lost theirs when BA stopped extending them.

LemonBars 16 posts

What a pain! Kicking myself for leaving it now, thankfully it means I now no longer need to mess about thinking which flights to take and faffing around availability of rewards seats; I’ll start more consistently liquidating my 300k+ points to cash equivalent via Nectar. The per-point value is not great for most of the bookings I’d do (except RFS) with two young kids

tiriavpo 316 posts

Are those Flyertalk reports for 241 companion voucher extensions recent? I’d be surprised if BA would officially extend them given many people have already lost theirs when BA stopped extending them.

Yes, very recent – trouble is, I don’t think they know why or when it might have happened.

I have one (never been used) which I had noted, at sometime on a scrap of paper, that was due to expire in Mar 23, which now says Sep 23 – no idea when or why that changed.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.