Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 3 x Companion Vouchers and 1 x Upgrade Voucher – how best to use as family of 3?

• MrsKT123 1 post

Hello!

I was hoping someone may be able to help me with the best way to use our companion and upgrade vouchers.

We currently have 3 companion vouchers earned through our BA Amex cards (2 on my account 1 on my husband’s account, 1 of mine runs out in March 2024) and an upgrade voucher earned on my Barclaycard (will be 2 come November as will get one for having the account for a year).

We’ve got around 500,000 avios points between us.

We’re thinking of going away end of Jan / Feb / March next year and will be travelling with our two year old daughter. What would be the best way to do this? I was thinking use a companion voucher for my husband and I and then the upgrade voucher for our daughter? Or would it work out better using another companion voucher for her alone?

I’m also thinking we’ve left it quite late too be booking! Any tips on locations that may have availability? We’d be looking to travel in business class which I know makes this more difficult.

Many thanks in advance!!

Anna 458 posts

The person who earns the companion voucher would have to travel on it in this instance, so you couldn’t use it for your daughter on a separate booking. I don’t think you can even book a stand alone flight for a 2 year old, but in any case to avoid complications, the best use of vouchers would be 1 adult plus child on the 241 and the other adult on the upgrade voucher. The only way you could have all 3 of you on the same booking would be to have you all on one companion voucher booking, which would mean not using the other vouchers.

zapato1060 565 posts

1x of your 241 for you and baby, the one ending mar 24
    1x of husbands 241 for 50% avios solo

have to be booked separately

as Anna stated, check seatspy. and remember 241 can be used on Aer Lingus and Iberia

aq.1988 419 posts

As others have stated, you can use one of your 241 vouchers for you and your daughter, and your husband can use his voucher for 50% off his booking.

However, given some of the limitations of the Barclaycard upgrade vouchers, I might be inclined to use one of them, instead of your husband’s voucher (unless his was close to expiry). You are likely to spend slightly more avios this way, but you’d have a more valuable 241 available to use later.

For example, Dubai return off peak is 160k in Business, whereas Premium Economy is 85k, so with the 241 using for solo travel, you’d spend 80k, and with the BC voucher, you’d spend 85k.

But, as you are forced to use the highest avios/lowest cash option with the BCV, it is generally quite poor value if you use it for short-haul, and you can only use it on BA, and departing UK, so for the extra 5k avios in the above scenario, it would be worth it for me to save an Amex voucher for later use.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.