Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards 40 Day lounge access not being honoured?

• Julia 42 posts

I was reAlly looking forward to finally getting lounge access with ihg when they bought in their lounge access with 40 night reward voucher but both times we’ve tried to get in we’ve been turned away. They both said they were too busy with club room paying customers in which case voucher customers can be legitimately turned away. I’ve had a look at the terms and they can do this so I’m starting to feel I’ve been sold a pup.

I’m not worried about UK access but lounge access in the middle East is important to us. Anyone got any thoughts or have I just misunderstood the voucher from the start?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,049 posts

Are you just showing the ‘voucher’ on your phone at the lounge door or did you show it to reception when you checked in?

kai 77 posts

First time I’ve heard this. Where in IHG’s terms do they entitle hotels to doing this?

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

I’ve accessed lounges in Europe, Middle East and USA no problem since the lounge pass was activated. My name is merely added to the eligible room numbers used by the lounge staff by the front desk prior to check in. Tell us more re the refusal(s)

Julia 42 posts

Hi BA Flyer. Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that we chose the lounge access option for our 40 night reward. Both receptions confirmed they could see it on the account but as they were full there was nothing they could do.

I don’t wish to appear pretty but it has left a bad taste and I am hesitant to book any ihg middle East hotels if we can’t get lounge access.

Sorry Kai but I can’t get on to ings web page at the moment.

Julia 42 posts

Hi Blair, both were crowne plazas and both reception desks wouldn’t give me a key which accessed the floor with the exec lounge in it. They both confirmed they knew I had a lounge access pass but as there was no availability then I couldn’t go in. Perhaps they were both busy.

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

@Julia, I would submit two separate complaints to IHG about this saying you chose the benefit in good faith and are very unhappy with the service you received. You should at least get some points by way of compensation.

Just to clarify, it was the hotel receptions which refused you access, not somebody working in the actual lounge? I’m just asking as I stayed at CP Glasgow recently and there was no one monitoring who came in and out. It was hugely over capacity though, standing room only at 5 pm and when we went in to grab a coffee mid-morning the machine wasn’t working! We weren’t hugely bothered as we had breakfast in the restaurant as Diamond and double free drinks vouchers for having to wait 90 mins for the suite to be ready but clearly some hotels just can’t manage the numbers with lounge access.

AndyUK101 49 posts

No issues here with recent stays at several top ICs, in all cases the receptionist added lounge access to my existing key card, from that point onwards I’m not sure how they differentiate between people with access via their room type or those with the 40n reward

Id definitely put in a complaint, at the very least it’ll be some free points

NorthernLass 7,481 posts

I think a lot of people who stay at CPs would pay for club rooms there, but not at ICs, so their lounges tend to be busier. I rarely find it worth it where we get free breakfast anyway, but in the case of my stay last month it was better value to get a suite and trigger the £75 Amex offer.

Julia 42 posts

Hi and thanks for the suggestions. Interested comment regarding crowns plazas, we usually pay by points and cash. We just don’t earn enough in points to get a club room. I’m not going to take it up with ing but will keep an eye on it.

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,087 posts

Julia any chance of naming and shaming the specific hotels please? HfP is a wily bunch and we won’t let this slide if attempted on us.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.