Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes Marriott Bonvoy 400k points – Al Wadi Desert or Domes of Elounda?

• moody 38 posts

Looking to make a booking before the devaluation. Traveling with 2 young children. Trying to decide between these two properties – would anyone who has stayed at both mind offering an opinion?

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

They are, weirdly, similar in many ways – except one is a cheap flight away and sits on the coast and one is quite a way away in a desert!

Overall, Al Wadi is higher quality. I mean … it’s got the most astonishing ice-based spa I have ever seen in my life AND IT’S IN THE DESERT. All rooms have private pools too, which I’m not sure is true of Domes.

I took my kids to Al Wadi for a couple of days when they were young (6 and 9 I think) and it was fine – kids club, the daily falconry show etc were fun. There is a long review on the site (I didn’t review Elounda although other readers have done it for us.)

However …. Al Wadi is best done as a couple of days tacked on the end of a beach holiday (Waldorf Astoria Ras is the obvious choice). It is too far to go for a couple of days with kids and weird to go and not do any beach stuff.

In pure value terms, I would imagine Al Wadi is a higher pence per point value but I wouldn’t be driven by that.

moody 38 posts

Thanks Rob, food for thought, I’ll need to decide soon!

bungalow 179 posts

Robs right about Ai Wadi, an experience no doubt, but 3 nights max…

… and definitely not in July!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.