Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards Virgin Atlantic 6 month gap before reapplying

• DanCraft94 9 posts

Morning all, possibly a daft question… I took out the virgin card when there was a 30k points sign up offer which I hit almost instantly as I was moving house so spending big. Is it worth now cancelling the card waiting the 6 months (or until there is a good sign up offer after the 6 months) and reapplying? Would it flag up on their system? Are Virgin savvy with people playing this system?

Thanks in advance!

Carlos 758 posts

No, you would simply be a new member to them.

DanCraft94 9 posts

Thank you, so your advice would be to cancel and wait for a while before re-applying?

Reney 766 posts

Do you have the advanced card, which comes with a large annual fee? If yes, unlike the Amex cards, they do not pro-rata refund the fee. So that is lost forever. It is, therefore, relatively expensive to cancel and re-apply regularly. Also, have you earnt their version of the companion/2-4-1 voucher yet, which requires 10k of spending if I recall? You might want to keep it for the year to benefit from the higher earning rate and earn the voucher you paid for. Worth reading the threads on cancelling before the 12 months; if I recall, once the fee is charged it is very difficult to get back.

I believe some people have had trouble in the past getting approved again after cancelling. I myself have asked for data points on this, you can look for the thread. I didn’t get too many responses. So it is a bit of a gamble if you really need a Virgin points-earning card. I myself cancelled my fee-free card a few months back, but not planning to re-apply for a while as working on a Barclays card, and my 24 months is up on a few of the Amex premium cards.

phantomchickenz 319 posts

Could someone point me to the bit in the T’s and C’s that highlights the 6 month rule?

JDB 4,374 posts

Could someone point me to the bit in the T’s and C’s that highlights the 6 month rule?

As with Barclays, it’s a policy not card terms and conditions which anyway relate to a product once accepted, not the application process.

Ash 621 posts

Virgin (in my experience) have been a bit funny about closing and reopening.

I suggest as above, use up the paid year, get the voucher and hire earning rate. You can then continue earning Amex MR that can be transferred into Virgin miles. No guarantee Virgin will accept you for the new application though.

You could ask if they will downgrade you to the free card without needing to close and reapply – you will need to spend 20k for the voucher and earn 0.75 per £1 spend. Good for Euro spend, no FX fees.

I’ve been sitting on the free card for the best part of 5 years – gave up on Virgin when they canned the SYD route. With the imminent SkyTeam announcement I’m thinking I need to reassess – first step would be to cancel the current one and potentially reapply for the paid one in 6 months

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

As we understand it, they will consider you again after six months BUT there is no guarantee they will accept you.

Amex is more enthusiastic than the rest of the industry in the way it tends to take you back without much thought.

memesweeper 1,255 posts

I don’t want to rain on the SkyTeam parade before it’s happened, but you *still* can’t redeem online for AirFrance/KLM with Virgin miles. Broken for how long? Redemptions may not work fully correctly on day one. Or even year one.

I don’t want to rain on the SkyTeam parade before it’s happened, but you *still* can’t redeem online for AirFrance/KLM with Virgin miles. Broken for how long? Redemptions may not work fully correctly on day one. Or even year one.

I’m flying on KLM back from Amsterdam at the end of the month – booked that online with Virgin points with no issues.

RonnieB 288 posts

Booked several Delta flights in USA for April through Virgin site with miles. Much more availability than trying for American flights through BA

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.