Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs British Airways Executive Club 85 points needed for Silver

• flying_zeehond 1 post

Hi All,

I was wondering whether someone might help me with the best way to hit 85 tier points for silver with BA’s current reduction, ending at the end of the year. It’s a shame because a quick Club return to, say, Amsterdam, would clip this for me if I just needed 80. Equally, doing one of the 160 tier point routes seems excessive as I know I won’t go onto get Gold in my membership year. Would anyone know how I might best achieve this doing a short overnight somewhere?

Cheers!

AndyGWP 275 posts

Assume you’re London based, so maybe take a cheap train to Manchester, and fly the outbound leg from there? (ie. Man -> LHR -> destination -> LHR)

Can do the 1st leg to LHR in ECO as well to save costs 🙂

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Have you tried to get a cheap train between London and the north recently! Also domestic flights are more expensive than international ones atm, as services have been slashed so deeply. That said, you might find something on BA low fare finder and do LON-MAN-NCL or LON-MAN-EDI return in a combination which would get the closest number of TPs to what you require. This might not even involve an overnight stay, which would save on hotel costs and things like transport to/from the airport.

Froggee 896 posts

My instinct is Helsinki. Simplest for sure but not cheap. One way in business and one way in economy. You could do it for a bit less than £400 for flights and you could probably avoid overnighting. Unless you fancied a night on the lash in Helsinki of course.

Helsinki gets 80 tier points for one-way in business.

I was hoping that LHR-EDI in J connecting in Jersey for 80 would be your answer with a cheap flight back from Edinburgh but there aren’t any cheap flights! You can actually do LHR-EDI in J for £281 on the 24th but then it’s £300 in economy flying back the next day…

There is definitely no chance you might pick up 5 tier points with work etc later in the year is there?

AJA 1,070 posts

Remember the 160TP is for a return trip to somewhere like Malta, Tenerife or Cyprus so if you want you could do Club outbound and economy back. That would achieve what you are looking to do.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Or everyone seems to be going to SOF for the cheapest option!

barracuda 31 posts

I was hoping that LHR-EDI in J connecting in Jersey for 80 would be your answer with a cheap flight back from Edinburgh but there aren’t any cheap flights! You can actually do LHR-EDI in J for £281 on the 24th but then it’s £300 in economy flying back the next day…

BA website does not seem to show me any connecting flights in searches – So I cannot get it to ticket me LHR-MAN-NCL/EDI or via Jersey – where can you search/ticket these routings?

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

Sorry, I don’t know what I meant there! This only really works FROM the regions, e.g. MAN-LHR-NCL-LHR-MAN.

Froggee 896 posts

The EDI-JER route is Saturday only and ends on the 24th September!

If you search for LHR-EDI or EDI-LHR on the 24th you will see it at the bottom as a connecting journey. If there was a cheap EDI-LHR flight it would be a winner but no luck on that.

The 5 tier points is the killer.

You could aLeo do e.g. SOU-LCY on Sunday 11th of December which is coming in at £300 in business for 80 tier points. Southampton is easily trainable from London and it connects in Edinburgh so you aren’t going to get stuck in some funny country where they don’t speak the language. Well maybe a wee bit och aye the noo.

It’s a hilarious routing to cover 72 miles. BA should be chastised for selling it.

But at £300 you’d probably be as well off doing a return to Inverness in November.

It might be feasible that you could have some crafty LoganAir add on to your fare to get the extra tier points but it’s tricky.

polly 289 posts

Bordeaux 200 pp from LGW return in CE, with 80 off using avios, approximately, is one we are doing to top ours up.. also doing the SOF holiday DPs. Worth it for silver til end Sept 24.

NorthernLass 7,569 posts

I’m the other way around – I have 500 TPs, thanks to BA, but only 2 flights. I’m doing MAN-LHR return in ET in a couple of weeks that I can do in one day (apologies to the green lobby here but I’m fairly sure those flights are going with or without me, as is the airport train!). I assume when I get off at T5 I just hang around the gates until it’s time to go back? It’s showing as 20 TPs so I don’t know what fare class I got. Also worth it for Silver till July ’24!

JDB 4,378 posts

I’m the other way around – I have 500 TPs, thanks to BA, but only 2 flights. I’m doing MAN-LHR return in ET in a couple of weeks that I can do in one day (apologies to the green lobby here but I’m fairly sure those flights are going with or without me, as is the airport train!). I assume when I get off at T5 I just hang around the gates until it’s time to go back? It’s showing as 20 TPs so I don’t know what fare class I got. Also worth it for Silver till July ’24!

At LHR, aren’t you required to go through security again even from a domestic arrival, have your boarding card scanned for conformance and photo taken?

Cousin Greg 10 posts

“flights are going with or without me”

A proper boomer argument there, Karen.

SamG 1,644 posts

@NorthernLass @JDB is correct I think, if you follow flight connections from a domestic arrival you’ll skip the photo step and then have trouble boarding (to the point you might miss the flight if they can’t figure it out in time). The easiest thing to do is to go back out and round and back through security but I think you may be able to get someone to come and take it

Michael C 667 posts

Bordeaux 200 pp from LGW return in CE, with 80 off using avios, approximately, is one we are doing to top ours up.. also doing the SOF holiday DPs. Worth it for silver til end Sept 24.

Bordeaux is a nice top-up run, Pol!

Intrigued by the Sofia run, think I’m being outvoted for Tenerife at the mo’…

Luca M 391 posts

SOF one leg in basic economy (5TP) and one leg in Business (80 TP) May be the best option.

AndyGWP 275 posts

Have you tried to get a cheap train between London and the north recently!

I have. I got one from Euston to Manchester Airport very recently for £38… seemed cheap to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

A quick look at “splitmyfare” website on a random date (11th Oct) shows you can get from Euston (dep: 7:46am) to Manchester Airport for £19.11

I also wouldn’t be so dismissive as saying there are no cheap flights from the regions – you’ve just got to find them and they’ll either work, or won’t work for you in my experience 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.