Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Housekeeping 90% of my posts don’t show ….

• Justin 41 posts

I’ve recently noticed that most the time my posts won’t show which can be quite irritating after writing a decently drafted reply with references. This can be quite infuriating when this happens several times.

it’ll let me submit, but then the website refreshes and my post won’t be there…

Can someone please look into my account and see if there’s an issue?

If it makes a difference, my account was merged with an older account of mine.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Peter K 553 posts

There’s a limit on the number of links of your are using more than one per reply.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Stop quoting things.

It’s that simple. 95% of posts which go into Spam are quoting someone else’s post.

It’s not clear why but it triggers our broader internet security package. What you need to remember is that when you post, you are injecting code into the HfP database. For obvious reasons we have things in place to stop that happening when it is nefarious malware injections but sometimes the system gets confused.

However, if you stop quoting other posts you’ll be fine – like your post was fine!

We do, eventually, release all trapped posts though so they will appear at some point. There is a 2ndary problem in that approving blocked forum posts is really tricky whilst approving blocked comments on the main site is a doddle.

The Savage Squirrel 570 posts

From experience as the user end, your “with references” comment may be key in this case. Any post with more than one link to another webpage goes into the moderation/spam bin from where it will most likely never return.

Justin 41 posts

I see, thank you all for the insight.

I can confirm that posts that have been blocked have had a combination of quotes and several links (for references).

Thanks.

davefl 1,220 posts

And it’s still an issue. Had 4 posts blocked over the past week or so for quotes of quotes. None have been released as far as I can see.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

Apologies. We are heavily understaffed at the moment with Rhys away and releasing blocked forum posts is well down the list, unfortunately, compared to getting out the content for the next day etc.

Try to avoid quoting and all will be well!

ChrisC 956 posts

But we can’t avoid using quotes if we want to add to previous comments else they end up being hard to follow and even easier to miss.

Perhaps allowing comments to nest would reduce the need for quote?

Same with including links in posts. How many is OK before they get sent to the moderation bin?

ChrisC 956 posts

And @Rob I’ll repeat my offer to assist in moderating the site.

Froggee 896 posts

Same with including links in posts. How many is OK before they get sent to the moderation bin?

Based upon the time I linked to the worst toilet in Scotland, only one link is plenty.

Froggee 896 posts

You see! Totally random. Grrrrrr…

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,198 posts

We are looking at ways of introducing limited third party moderation. This is likely to involve selected people being given the power to delete (not alter) any post. This would allow spam / bad language etc to be removed quickly.

The issue with quoted comments going into moderation is nothing to do with the forum software and everything to do with our site security software.

When you post a comment, you are injecting code into the HfP database. Obviously you’re not injecting a virus but any sort of upload is treated suspiciously for obvious reasons. What we don’t know is why quotes get tougher treatment, EXCEPT potentially that a quote includes CSS which wouldn’t be in a normal post.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.