Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Advice needed – moving from a non points AE card to platinum/gold to achieve SUP

• blitz18qb 15 posts

Looking for advice. Bit of background info……My partner had the AE Preferred Gold Card. Not sure what she did but basically downgraded it to a ‘free’ non points earning card, to maintain her MR points (She now has 0 MR points as they got used). It has been over 24 months since she received any SUP.

My question is, would she qualify for the platinum card & SUP if she cancels the existing card?. We have got £5k of flights to book in August….and would be good to earn big off of it. I have the AEP Gold card… and have just hit the SUP. Could I refer her for the platinum card even though I’m gold?

I guess what I asking is…..Got a £5k purchase coming up, what should/can she do?
    Hope that all makes sense? Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks

VALittleRed 122 posts

Looking for advice. Bit of background info……My partner had the AE Preferred Gold Card. Not sure what she did but basically downgraded it to a ‘free’ non points earning card, to maintain her MR points (She now has 0 MR points as they got used). It has been over 24 months since she received any SUP.

To me, it doesn’t make much sense she downgraded to a Non-points earning card to retain the MR points, it must have been the free points earning card to retain the MR points, you can’t upgrade/downgrade across different classes of Amex cards.

If what I have said is the case then she would unfortunately not qualify for the Platinum Bonus as stated per the amex site:”I understand I will not be eligible for any Welcome Bonus award if I hold or have held any personal Membership Rewards-enrolled American Express Cards in the past 24 months.” She would have to cancel her Amex MR Free card and wait 2 years to qualify. This is all assuming she meets the other Platinum qualification criteria including the unofficial minimum income threshold.

You could refer her for the platinum card though and gain the referral points though even if a different category of card.

VALittleRed 122 posts

What I forgot to mention if the £5k spend is direct airline spend (you mentioned flights) on a gold card, this would get you 2 MR points per £1. Also if you put it on a gold card you accumulate towards the bonus points (up to 12,500/year) spend which you don’t get on Plat.

Alternatively, you could both look into BAPP Cards if you’re happy to move away from MR Points.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.