Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Hotel loyalty schemes IHG One Rewards Ambassador Complimentary Weekend Night payment

• ClubSmed 174 posts

I have a credit balance on my credit card that I need to clear.
    I was wondering if I could use a hotel booking to do this.
    Do IHG take payment for the Ambassador Comp Weeknight stays in advance or only at check-in/out?

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,074 posts

In my experience only at checkout.

ClubSmed 174 posts

OK, thanks.
    I will rethink my plan then.

John 1,000 posts

They can take a “deposit” in advance if you request them to. But then cancelling becomes difficult so make sure you don’t get sick/in an accident etc before the stay.

ClubSmed 174 posts

How does that work?
    Would I make the booking via the web and then call up the hotel to pay the “deposit” on that booking?

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Yes you can call the hotel and ask them to take payment – not all will agree to this though. I asked a hotel in Scotland to do this (not the IC) and they said they are required by law to have the cardholder present. This sounded odd as obviously the cardholder isn’t present when a non-refundable booking is made but couldn’t be bothered arguing!

mark2 127 posts

I have a credit balance on my credit card that I need to clear.
    I was wondering if I could use a hotel booking to do this.
    Do IHG take payment for the Ambassador Comp Weeknight stays in advance or only at check-in/out?

It depends how much the balance is, but my advice would be to buy gift cards for your preferred supermarket/retailers.

The real Swiss Tony 654 posts

Why not just ring up the credit card provider and ask for a refund of the cash that’s sitting on account? In my experience they are very happy to do this.

ClubSmed 174 posts

Why not just ring up the credit card provider and ask for a refund of the cash that’s sitting on account? In my experience they are very happy to do this.

The credit exists due to a refund.
    The credit card company insists on refunding the credit to the original source of the funds.
    The bank account that was used to seed this money has since been closed so it is an administrative nightmare.

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

How much are we talking about? Would general expenses not do the trick, e.g. food shopping, petrol etc? Vouchers are a good idea as suggested above – you could also stock up on any gift cards you would use or give for birthday/Xmas presents etc. Or for restaurants that you’re going to eat at anyway?Council tax?

ClubSmed 174 posts

~£700 is the figure we are talking about.
    That is why I thought a weekend Ambassador stay could be perfect, but the stay I would want to book is at the end of May so too far out if payment is not taken until check-in/out.
    I know that many credit card companies charge fees for credit balances over a certain period so want it gone by the next statement date.

AnotherUser 181 posts

Can you pay the £700 to your gas/electric company?

NorthernLass 7,544 posts

Is it an Amex card and if so have you got any decent offers to use? I used the last Hilton offer while my card was in credit after I cancelled some flights in January and the cash back still posted.

ClubSmed 174 posts

Is it an Amex card and if so have you got any decent offers to use? I used the last Hilton offer while my card was in credit after I cancelled some flights in January and the cash back still posted.

That would be a good idea, but we are currently massively in credit on that front and awaiting a review/refund from that avenue too

ClubSmed 174 posts

That would be a good idea, but we are currently massively in credit on that front and awaiting a review/refund from that avenue too

It is Amex.
    I currently have an IHG cashback offer on that card which is another reason that I wanted to use it on an Ambassador Weekend stay.

truthbetold 130 posts

can anyone confirm that AMB free weekend second night voucher is no longer valid at Regent or Kimpton, and only at IC??

BA Flyer IHG Stayer 2,074 posts

Usage at Regents and Kimptons ended last year.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

It is Amex.
    I currently have an IHG cashback offer on that card which is another reason that I wanted to use it on an Ambassador Weekend stay.

Send them your latest statement for your new bank account that shows your name and address and they’ll transfer.

Anna 458 posts

can anyone confirm that AMB free weekend second night voucher is no longer valid at Regent or Kimpton, and only at IC??

It’s the Intercontinental Ambassador 2nd night free voucher so was only ever usable at ICs apart from during the pandemic.

xenole 30 posts

I’ve stayed at the IC in San Francisco a few times, using cash and/or cash + a weekend night voucher, and they’ve always taken the first night off my card close to the the time of booking (then a $150? a night security deposit when checking in).

Other IHG hotel wise, a mixed bag.
    Some take payment on booking; some after you checkout; some want full payment when you check-in etc. (even though they say payment due at the time of booking).

I personally prefer to pay at the hotel rather than have funds taken from my card days through to months prior to a stay.

memesweeper 1,251 posts

The IC Barcelona took my weekend comp night money almost immediately after my recent booking. I promptly cancelled, but they have been less prompt in refunding, so I’m chasing it up on Monday…

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.