Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Gold vs BAPP

• confusedAmexUser 1 post

Have held an Amex Gold card for a few years now and with the fee increases I’ve been questioning its value. The offers for example are largely useless to me aside from the Deliveroo one (and even then, Deliveroo itself is a rip off).

I quite enjoyed the transferrable MR points and previously enjoyed being able to move points to Avios and Club Eurostar. However with the Club Eurostar fees increasing significantly, that has become less attractive as well.

Which leads me to thinking, close my Amex Gold, open an Amex BAPP and go from there? I don’t see much use in having both cards unless I’m missing something. I did consider keeping both, spending the minimum on the BAPP to trigger the 2-4-1 voucher and then switching to the Gold but seems a bit too much effort for little reward (and fees).

Alternatively, could open the free Amex rewards card and BAPP but again seems redundant.

I’m aware the BAPP restricts me to avios only however 99% of my airline travel is on BA anyway.

Thoughts?

executiveclubber 274 posts

This is what I did last year and I don’t regret it — apart from failing to get a retention bonus from Amex before I closed the account…

Froggee 899 posts

Depends on your annual spend on Amex. If it’s £35k then I’d say it might be worth keeping the Gold.

If you’re talking £15k then one card is plenty.

As for the BAPP, you need to try and recover the annual fee with savings made using 241 voucher. So would you be getting 25,000+ Avios of value from it every year?

I have both Gold and BAPP. I’ve found that I get much better offers on the Gold than the BAPP so between these and the Deliveroo credit, it pays for itself but everyone is different!

MF176 186 posts

Depends what you intend to spend the points on – MR that can be transferred into a multitude of schemes are far more flexible than Avios, and therefore more attractive to some.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.