Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex IHG £75 cashback

• markymarc2000 17 posts

Just wondering if an Ambassador renewel can count towards the current £75 cashback on a £300 spend offer? It would make it a lot easier…

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

I doubt it as it wouldn’t be charged by any of the qualifying hotels on the list (unless you actually do it at one of the hotels, in which case it might do!)

Swifty 45 posts

not on any of my 7 cards so that’s pointless, a heads up when it appeared would have been helpful

baVid 27 posts

not on any of my 7 cards so that’s pointless, a heads up when it appeared would have been helpful

It was back on November 16th:
    https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/11/16/ihg-american-express-hotel-cashback/

Luca M 391 posts

I had it (and saved) on my platinum but not on my BAPP. BAPP instead has the Hilton, Fourseasons, Hyatt and 2 Marriott deals that were not available on the Platinun

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

@Swifty it was mentioned on several threads, however it’s only valid until 27/1 so possibly not viable even if you had it! I’m twisting myself in knots trying to use mine, and also get my 20k points for joining Ambassador – the CP is so much cheaper than the IC and Kimpton on the nights I’ll actually be staying, I’m not sure the 20k points are worth the extra cost …

Points Hound 47 posts

Maybe open your eyes and check your offers daily? Your lack of awareness is the lack helpfulness, it’s been highlighted numerous times yet you are unaware.

tiriavpo 312 posts

So I was hoping to use this offer at a Holiday Inn in Germany – it is listed in the participating locations and the hotel said they would be able to select GBP on their card machine. Obviously a poorer FX rate but well worth it for £75.

In the event, when using an Amex, there was no option to change currency – whereas with any other card the option for GBP or Euros appeared on the terminal.

How can you settle the bill in GBP if the hotel won’t take GBP – is this a common issue?

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

I think people have paid in euros and still got the rebate, but can you not select a non-refundable rate and see if they take payment immediately? When is your stay – payment would have to clear by Jan 27th in any case.

davefl 1,220 posts

I paid in euros for the marriot and hilton ones and got the rebate both times. So no reason IHG would be different. Amex’s forex charges chewed up a third of the Hilton £50 though.

tiriavpo 312 posts

I think people have paid in euros and still got the rebate, but can you not select a non-refundable rate and see if they take payment immediately? When is your stay – payment would have to clear by Jan 27th in any case.

It was this weekend. We ended up paying with a 0FX card so probably blew it!

Lula 204 posts

We stayed in Zurich and paid in CHF and got the email saying I’d triggered the offer.

tiriavpo 312 posts

Ah well – should have seen all this before the trip – but was going by the Ts&Cs which specifically say ‘settled in GBP’. Ho hum, next time.

NorthernLass 7,577 posts

If it fits with your plans you could book a future stay on a non-refundable rate to use the credit?

drdan 96 posts

Note that Amex do not allow dynamic conversion, so you will always pay in the local currency.

The Ts and C’s are just standard copy and paste with respect to paying in GBP given the overseas list

MKB 71 posts

Is this cumulative like most other Amex offers, or does it require a single £300+ transaction? Any data points of it working with two or more transactions to achieve the spend?

Chas 139 posts

Deleted

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Is this cumulative like most other Amex offers, or does it require a single £300+ transaction? Any data points of it working with two or more transactions to achieve the spend?

Cumulative – did it myself via two stays.

Andrew J 769 posts

The wording of the offer specifically says “one or more transactions”, so probably on safe ground there!

tiriavpo 312 posts

Note that Amex do not allow dynamic conversion, so you will always pay in the local currency.

The Ts and C’s are just standard copy and paste with respect to paying in GBP given the overseas list

Wish I had known that – and that’ll teach me for reading the Ts&Cs.

We got the cash back on a different card for cumulative spend although we made a complete horlicks of the payments, including a refund to the offer card. So I think the nett payment won’t have reached the required spend after the refund – I wonder if they will claw it back?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.