Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex PDF statements – look like crap

• Harrods 120 posts

They updated the font and the new layout is terrible, or is this just me? things looks squished and very unprofessional.

Seems to coincide with their new app update where they unnecessarily moved the “statement” option from the bottom bare to the top – Innovation.

• This topic was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    can 506 posts

have you checked from a desktop browser? mine looks fine, as usual I’d say

Will787 16 posts

Agreed. Just looked at my Business Gold statement and the font in the PDF looks awful.

dougzz99 623 posts

Surely this thread needs a sticky, most important news of the last few days. Amex in ‘new font’ shame.

Harrods 120 posts

You need to check a statement that has been recently generated.

can 506 posts

You need to check a statement that has been recently generated.

mine was Feb 20th

amexu 2 posts

They updated the font and the new layout is terrible, or is this just me? things looks squished and very unprofessional.

They changed the two font variations used from Helvetica (one of the two most common fonts in the world) to an obscure font BentonSans which is not embedded and almost no one will have installed. The PDF will look something between bad and terrible depending on what your pdf reader thinks is the most appropriate substitution from the fonts your system has installed. On my PC and reader it thinks Comic Sans is the best match for the bold version of the font and Amex look like clowns.

Worse for me is they also changed the PDF security settings preventing assembly which means I can no longer easily add the statement to the front of a PDF containing all previous ones. I say easily because there are tools which will instantly remove such user password level restrictions on PDF files.

The change is stupid and pointless. I am really surprised at the level of incompetence Amex has shown by making it.

CarpalTravel 363 posts

Just got mine through, that is indeed rather special. Even the alignment on the pages is awful! I absolutely no not care, but it is a bit amateur to say the very least.

Harrods 120 posts

Had a paper one in the post and looks much better lol.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,207 posts

It’s not a lot better – still harder to read than the old paper statements. Seems a weird thing to want to mess with.

Harrods 120 posts

They changed the two font variations used from Helvetica (one of the two most common fonts in the world) to an obscure font BentonSans which is not embedded and almost no one will have installed. The PDF will look something between bad and terrible depending on what your pdf reader thinks is the most appropriate substitution from the fonts your system has installed. On my PC and reader it thinks Comic Sans is the best match for the bold version of the font and Amex look like clowns.

Worse for me is they also changed the PDF security settings preventing assembly which means I can no longer easily add the statement to the front of a PDF containing all previous ones. I say easily because there are tools which will instantly remove such user password level restrictions on PDF files.

The change is stupid and pointless. I am really surprised at the level of incompetence Amex has shown by making it.

Is it actually BentonSans ? I installed font on my Mac but still have same issues

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.