Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Other Car rental Amex Platinum card – Avis AWD code please

• sentio85 29 posts

Hi

Does anyone know the Avis Preferred Rewards AWD code?

Amex chat just said ‘call Avis’

Thanks

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts
    jj 520 posts

That’s a Canadian link, Rob.

@sentio85
    you need to go to your Platinum card on the website or the app, view the card benefits, and click on manage Your Benefits. You can find a link to register with Avis Preferred there, and the Amex page contains details of the code you need to enter. Note that the Avis benefits are a little different from the link Rob provided.

Avis Preferred is a great benefit. this year I’ve had four rentals, and in every case booking direct with Avis was the cheapest option excluding some dodgy discounters – and that was before the Amex 15% discount and ubiquitous statement credits were applied. My total savings aren’t far off the annual Platinum sub, and the only place I failed to get an upgrade was on a small Greek island where I’d already booked the best car they had. It’s always good to walk straight to the front of the queue in busy locations, too.

WaynedP 258 posts

Amex Plat = A756900

WaynedP 258 posts

+1 for Avis Preferred although disappointing only on primary card, not supplementary.

Nevertheless I’ve used to good effect in South Africa when BAEC Avis codes seem to get you zero discount these last couple of years for some unknown reason.

BAEC codes worked alright for me before Covid, but I think the Amex Plat code gives best discount in my experience.

Mark 35 posts

Is the code still the same?

Doesn’t change the price at all for me?

JenT 152 posts

Mark – Just checked some Thessaloniki rentals and that code took the standard rate down by 10%.

The Amex Platinum UK website needs updating as it now says enter the code XXXX – someone obviously forgot to write the actual code in there…

Paolo 4 posts

I can’t for the life of me work out how to use the Avis President’s Club / Platinum benefit. I’ve registered with Avis and have been upgraded to President’s Club, but I’m not seeing any mention of a free additional driver when I then try to book. And I have no idea what to put in the AWD code field.

Trying both the Amex and Avis pages, I get “page not found” errors for both!:
    https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/the-platinum-card/avis-preferred.html
    https://secure.avis-europe.com/secure/preferred/default.aspx

Any ideas?

Paolo 4 posts

I found a working page:
    https://www.americanexpress.com/en-gb/benefits/travel/cars/the-platinum-card/avis-presidents-club/

…but this is the one that shows the AWD code as XXXX. I tried the code A756900, but the additional free driver wasn’t added, which is what I’m particularly interested in. Tried calling Avis but had to give up after waiting on hold for 45 minutes.

Why is car hire always so difficult!?

Mark22 5 posts

I get the page not found error too having tried numerous times. When I was on chat they just said call Avis. Have not done this yet. Was hoping they would fix the link.

JenT 152 posts

The free driver bit never comes up (I’ve been President’s Club for 10 years or so). If they try and charge you at pick up when you tell them about the second driver, just show them your membership status on the app/website (you don’t get a physical card any more) and they will waive the charges.

Paolo 4 posts

The free driver bit never comes up (I’ve been President’s Club for 10 years or so). If they try and charge you at pick up when you tell them about the second driver, just show them your membership status on the app/website (you don’t get a physical card any more) and they will waive the charges.

Thanks, that’s helpful! I’m going to try to call Avis again today, but if it’s taking too long I’ll just book online and will do as you say.

Luca M 391 posts

My experience (using the iPhone app) is that the discount code is applied to prices shown automatically, if I try to add the code manually I get the same price. If I do a search on the website without being logged in, I get higher prices.

Second driver for free has been mentioned to me each time at collection, in Iceland was quite funny as they guy kind of insisted for a while that I use it (but it is free), and my wife standing next to me, looking outside the windows at a snow storm, kind of went “but I do not want to drive with such weather” 😂😂😂.

Car upgrade also given (upon asking, my experience is “always” ask) at collection (I had a one category upgrade voucher for completing a survey onces, plus my status, I got given a 4 categories upgrade 😎).

My final experience to report, I wanted to rent a same day, one day only, car in Miami recently and the app would not let me complete the booking. I walked to the counter, mentioned the problem, and that I was President Club, the lady said that she could give me a manager discount matching the app price but could not do so taking by Membership credential, and I agreed, gave her my Platinum (2.99% Forex fee but wanted the reassurance of the Car Rental Insurance without fuss) and as soon as she swiped the card, all my credential and status came up on her screen.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.