Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum – access to Eurostar lounges

• sarah_kp 7 posts

I’ve just signed up for the Amex Platinum card and have been approved. Does anyone know if this will be enough to enter the Eurostar lounge in London and Paris? Or will I need the actual card to do so?

PeteM 709 posts

You need the actual physical UK card.

sarah_kp 7 posts

Arg, what a shame! Thanks for clarifying though, Pete.

TGLoyalty 532 posts

my experience over the past week was that it was checked to see if name matched the ticket and the back to check where it was issued.

The physical card usually arrives within a couple days though.

Biki 117 posts

I went into the one in Belgium last week and they only looked at the back of my card to see it was a UK issued one. The ticket name wouldn’t have matched anyway as i was on a work trip and they were all in the name of the company.

Matt 323 posts

Do Platinum business cards still not get access? Is that checked/noticed?
    Do they scan cards at all ie will a cancelled personal card work?

Thanks

cats_are_best 99 posts

Thanks

I’ve used Amex a few times over the years when I’ve had a gap in Carte Blanche, they seemed to just check name vs. ticket, I never had them check if the card is working, I’d think it’d be too much hassle/delay to justify. If the card expiry date hasn’t been reached I think you’ll be fine.

JDB 4,378 posts

Thanks

I’ve used Amex a few times over the years when I’ve had a gap in Carte Blanche, they seemed to just check name vs. ticket, I never had them check if the card is working, I’d think it’d be too much hassle/delay to justify. If the card expiry date hasn’t been reached I think you’ll be fine.

As you have chosen to advise on this topic, may I ask a) if the dishonesty aspect is fine as well and b) is the contractual obligation both not to use the card and to destroy the card on cancellation also not an issue?

PeteM 709 posts

As you have chosen to advise on this topic, may I ask a) if the dishonesty aspect is fine as well and b) is the contractual obligation both not to use the card and to destroy the card on cancellation also not an issue?

Classic JDB zinger 🙂

Matt 323 posts

Cats_are_best: You were right – checked name/country of issue and possibly expiry date. Just a guy standing in the doorway, so no option for scanning cards.

Edit: oh dear, I see the security guards JDB has alerted are checking everyone’s right to be here….

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    dougzz99 619 posts

Cats_are_best: You were right – checked name/country of issue and possibly expiry date. Just a guy standing in the doorway, so no option for scanning cards.

Edit: oh dear, I see the security guards JDB has alerted are checking everyone’s right to be here….

Normal forum behaviour is to play the ball not the man.

Lady London 2,048 posts

I went into the one in Belgium last week and they only looked at the back of my card to see it was a UK issued one. The ticket name wouldn’t have matched anyway as i was on a work trip and they were all in the name of the company.

What did you think of the Brussels lounge, @Biki?

Biki 117 posts

It was first thing in the morning and they only had some pastries out food wise. There were soft drinks and beers in the fridges. It’s a much nicer space to wait rather than the general public area, but i wouldn’t get there early to use it!

Lady London 2,048 posts

Tx @Biki

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.