Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum ADDITIONAL (not supplementary) card no longer available?

• tbtb31 75 posts

Hi,

I need to separate 2 expense lines into different cards – annyong but so be it – and was just told by Amex that it’s no longer possible to have 2 cards from the same card account in your own name. There used to be the concept of “additional card”, which had “A.C.” written on the card, and was linked to the same account as the primary card but treated like a supplementary card, without incurring a supplementary card charge, but looks like they ditched that (those who have it already can keep it). I guess I could apply for a separate new Amex card as a new account but don’t want to deal with 2 separate accounts (I just need to show 2 separate expense lines for tax reasons, but both need to be in my name). At the moment I’m using Amex for one and a Visa card for another but would prefer to shift everything to Amex.

Anyone got experience with that? I’m now being told that not only do they no longer offer a complimentary “additional card” in one’s name, but they also don’t allow another box-standard supplementary card in your own name. My Platinum supplementary cardholder is my wife but they won’t even let me add myself if I pay for another supplementary card. Again, it looks like it used to be different before they changed it recently (12/2022).

Not after any SUBs, benefits or other, just 2 cards in my name under the same account umbrella.

Anyone got recent experience with this? Lucky if you’re grandfathered but things seem to have changed.

George K 288 posts

I think I may know why that is. Platinum used to be a *charge* card, and as a result, you could apply for a companion platinum *credit* card. Indeed I have one of those, still.

Now that Platinum is a credit card, I expect that there’s no avenue to apply for a companion card with the same properties.

tbtb31 75 posts

I think I may know why that is. Platinum used to be a *charge* card, and as a result, you could apply for a companion platinum *credit* card. Indeed I have one of those, still.

Now that Platinum is a credit card, I expect that there’s no avenue to apply for a companion card with the same properties.

Indeed Amex told me that some legacy Platinum *charge* card holders are they only ones still allowed to have an additional card in their name. Oh well then. Hold on to yours!

Steven 80 posts

I’m guessing you don’t get cashback offers on the second card?

I have a Plat Charge card and may look to get the AC card if they also get offers.

Thanks

Andrew J 769 posts

I’m guessing you don’t get cashback offers on the second card?

I have a Plat Charge card and may look to get the AC card if they also get offers.

Thanks

Yes the AC chargecard gets its own set of offers – not the £300 restaurant and £100 HN offers obviously, but the normal ones it gets, just like a supp does.

Andrew J 769 posts

The AC card isn’t a credit card, it’s just a Supp, but in your own name and this is in addition to your quota of supps.

George K 288 posts

Yes, proper offers come through on that card too – comes in handy for Shop Small. I seem to recall there was a small amount of MR bonus points to those who took out the companion card, but the main reason I got it was because I was concerned that using a charge card wasn’t benefiting my less-than-perfect credit score at the time. (I don’t have this issue now..)

Oh well, glad I still have something of semi-use. I’m still kicking myself for not going for the ICC card before they pulled the drawbridge up.

George K 288 posts

The AC card isn’t a credit card, it’s just a Supp, but in your own name and this is in addition to your quota of supps.

Hmmm, are you sure? The product’s actual name is *The Platinum Credit Card*. While I can’t recall the conversation verbatim, I once spoke to Amex about it and they specifically used the term ‘companion card’ which does NOT count as an active card when they tally the amount of products you’ve got with them. Indeed I almost closed it once as I was concerned I had hit my 2 charge/2 credit card limit with Amex, but I was assured that it wouldn’t be an issue – and it wasn’t.

It can’t be in addition to my quota of supps, as I have a supplementary cardholder for Platinum and that would have meant that I’d be paying for that…

Andrew J 769 posts

Hmmm, are you sure? The product’s actual name is *The Platinum Credit Card*. While I can’t recall the conversation verbatim, I once spoke to Amex about it and they specifically used the term ‘companion card’ which does NOT count as an active card when they tally the amount of products you’ve got with them. Indeed I almost closed it once as I was concerned I had hit my 2 charge/2 credit card limit with Amex, but I was assured that it wouldn’t be an issue – and it wasn’t.

It can’t be in addition to my quota of supps, as I have a supplementary cardholder for Platinum and that would have meant that I’d be paying for that…

Yes quite sure – but we are maybe talking about two different things though. What I’m talking about is the AC card which is just a supp in your own name (and has the letters A.C. after your name) and is in addition to the supps quota, so you get the supp Plat which comes with a PP etc and the AC supp Plat which doesn’t come with a PP. The AC card is just a way of charging your expenses etc separately as you wish. In the days before Apple Pay, I found it useful to keep in my gym bag so I didn’t need to take my wallet with me. And yes the card gets its own set of offers too. Not sure if they still issue ACs on the legacy Charge accounts, but I’ve certainly still got mine.

TGLoyalty 494 posts

You can just order a supp in your own name anyway

The fact it says AC or not is just superfluous

tbtb31 75 posts

Even that is no longer possible according to Amex if your card is a credit (not charge) card.

Steven 80 posts

Many thanks all. Thought it would be handy when the more generous hotel cashback offers arise. Will get applying.

Steven 80 posts

I’m guessing it is a call in job?

Just tried having a look just now via the online account. It allows you to add someone to your account but doesn’t seem like this is the right option as it then comes up with a drop down menu of the relationship to that person, which obviously isn’t applicable here.

Also asks you to choose whether it is a further plat or a gold or basic card I am after.

I already have my OH added as a supp plat holder so wish to ensure I don’t get hit with the additional plat supp fee.

Andrew J 769 posts

I’m guessing it is a call in job?

Just tried having a look just now via the online account. It allows you to add someone to your account but doesn’t seem like this is the right option as it then comes up with a drop down menu of the relationship to that person, which obviously isn’t applicable here.

Also asks you to choose whether it is a further plat or a gold or basic card I am after.

I already have my OH added as a supp plat holder so wish to ensure I don’t get hit with the additional plat supp fee.

The AC card doesn’t count towards your supp quota, and will be issued as a Plat card in addition to your actual supp Plat.

TGLoyalty 494 posts

Even that is no longer possible according to Amex if your card is a credit (not charge) card.

Supplementary cards are still possible but yes there’s a quota and I see no advantage of getting the platinum supp for yourself. You’d just get a gold or green (there were 2/3 free if I recall)

In relationship you just choose other …

tbtb31 75 posts

If anyone is successful in adding yourself as an additional or supplementary cardholder to an Amex Platinum credit card, please post your eperiecne here – Amex told me this is no longer possible.

Steven 80 posts

I was thinking that could then double dip with cashback offers.

Supplementary cards are still possible but yes there’s a quota and I see no advantage of getting the platinum supp for yourself. You’d just get a gold or green (there were 2/3 free if I recall)

In relationship you just choose other …

TGLoyalty 494 posts

Additional gold and green supps to Platinum get exactly the same AMeX offers as a supplementary Plat

I have a card in my own name for my Marriott Credit card my platinum charge card and have had for gold credit in the part

You apply online like any other supp and none are AC cards they are as per any other supp I have.

Steven 80 posts

Ah, got you now, thanks.

I thought you were wondering why I was looking to get an additional card at all but can now see you were just pointing out that the additional card doesn’t need to be plat also.

Additional gold and green supps to Platinum get exactly the same AMeX offers as a supplementary Plat

I have a card in my own name for my Marriott Credit card my platinum charge card and have had for gold credit in the part

You apply online like any other supp and none are AC cards they are as per any other supp I have.

tbtb31 75 posts

Officially confirmed now that you can no longer get additional gold or green card as additional cards to an Amex Platinum. You can only get additional Platinum cards, for the full supplementary card fee (beyond the free first one). Kinda sucks.

Andrew J 769 posts

Officially confirmed now that you can no longer get additional gold or green card as additional cards to an Amex Platinum. You can only get additional Platinum cards, for the full supplementary card fee (beyond the free first one). Kinda sucks.

If you’re on the new credit card version, but those on the legacy chargecard continue to get the 5 free supps.

davidl 30 posts

It’s been removed from all Products. If you already have it they aren’t taking it off you

Cx 20 posts

It also means you can’t easily add supplementary cardholders and have the travel insurance cover them unless you pay the additional fee.

The credit card version has been a downgrade

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

It was official from when they stopped the charge cards and moved to credit versions. Rob stated it specifically during the change.
    But some posters above were confusing others by not clearly saying which version they have or were talking about.

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

The credit card version has been a downgrade

They’ve been trimming the product list a lot recently.
    Green cards not issued anymore. ICC cards. Charge cards. All gone.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.