Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum car rental insurance and Turo

• Kowalski 105 posts

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the American Express Platinum car rental insurance will cover me when hiring a car through Turo? Turo is the airbnb of the car rental world for those that don’t know. I just tried calling Amex to but the insurance department is closed until Monday and I need to know by tomorrow!

JDB 4,386 posts

No, as a peer-to-peer rental arrangement, Amex Plat doesn’t provide the usual car rental coverage if you book with Turo.

Kowalski 105 posts

No, as a peer-to-peer rental arrangement, Amex Plat doesn’t provide the usual car rental coverage if you book with Turo.

Ah that’s a shame. Thanks very much for the quick response! I’m guessing I’d have to take out extra coverage through Turo in that case if they offer it

Kowalski 105 posts

Hi just following on this.

I’ve now spoken to the Amex Platinum Insurance team and they said that I would be covered for any rental through Turo as long as there is a car rental agreement. I presume there must be a car rental agreement when hiring through Turo. In which case the Amex cover will apparently apply

PeteM 709 posts
    Kowalski 105 posts

I’d perhaps get it in writing, like I did here: https://www.headforpoints.com/forums/topic/zipcars-are-covered-under-platinum-car-hire-excess-insurance-but-zipvans-are-not/

Hi thanks, I’ll do that. Do you happen to have the contact email address to hand please?

PeteM 709 posts

travel-queries (at) axa-assistance.co.uk

Kowalski 105 posts

travel-queries (at) axa-assistance.co.uk

Excellent thank you

JDB 4,386 posts

Hi just following on this.

I’ve now spoken to the Amex Platinum Insurance team and they said that I would be covered for any rental through Turo as long as there is a car rental agreement. I presume there must be a car rental agreement when hiring through Turo. In which case the Amex cover will apparently apply

You need to get a very precise answer about this. Amex cards in the US are very precise about Turo and draw the distinction between contracts entered into with a private individual and one entered into with a commercial car rental company which operates through Turo. The former are not covered.

Kowalski 105 posts

Posting to follow up on this. Finally received a reply from AXA but it’s pretty useless..

Good afternoon

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

The policy will cover you for the Car Rental Benefit providing there is a Rental Agreement.

If there is no Rental agreement through this company, then the benefit will not apply.

I guess I’ll have to make a booking and send them the documents. Then cancel the booking if they say it won’t be covered.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.