Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum Harvey Nics – if use Paypal?

• rk1 47 posts

I used paypal linked to my platinum card to use my Harvey Nics cashback. Called Amex to ask if using paypal was ok – did show paypal Harvey Nics on the statement. Amex kept me waiting 35 minutes trying to figure it out before I got disconnected.

Does anyone know if using paypal linked to offers on the amex card is ok.

dst87 264 posts

I used paypal linked to my platinum card to use my Harvey Nics cashback. Called Amex to ask if using paypal was ok – did show paypal Harvey Nics on the statement. Amex kept me waiting 35 minutes trying to figure it out before I got disconnected.

I would say almost certainly not – transactions made via “payment facilitators” are explicitly called out as being exempt from the promotion. PayPal charge your card, not Harvey Nichols themselves. This is true for every Amex offer I’ve used.

can 506 posts

oh no.. return and buy with Plat.

rk1 47 posts

Thanks – I had a feeling I made a mistake. I see in the terms and conditions the bit about payment facilitators. Not sure why amex couldn’t answer my question after 35 minutes – and I got disconnected without a final answer.

eppleby 32 posts

I received the HN £50.00 statement credit within 4 days of the order.

rk1 47 posts

An update – I called Amex again and they credited me £50. My first call was with a trainee and the information he gave me was wrong.

Justin 41 posts

I had accidentally previously used Paypal in Feb/Early March and never got credited.

I bought another item in April with PayPal and was credited shortly after.

I’m guessing it’s because PayPal are a payment aggregator so they’re officially not allowed to credit you but may do so at their own discretion.

dst87 264 posts

An update – I called Amex again and they credited me £50. My first call was with a trainee and the information he gave me was wrong.

It’s good they helped credit you manually, though I’m fairly sure they didn’t _have_ to based on the T&C.

Definitely pay direct for future offers and save yourself the headache!

Justin 41 posts

I had accidentally previously used Paypal in Feb/Early March and never got credited.

I bought another item in April with PayPal and was credited shortly after.

I’m guessing it’s because PayPal are a payment aggregator so they’re officially not allowed to credit you but may do so at their own discretion.

I meant to read: “I bought another item in April WITHOUT PayPal and was credited shortly after.”

rk1 47 posts

Amex did make it clear Paypal was viewed as a third party and the transaction was not eligible for the offer. However I was credited £50 as a one-off discretionary adjustment.

Thegasman 203 posts

You’re very lucky, especially given Amex’s declining CS standards/willingness to make discretionary payments for Shop Small & other offers where the terms were adhered to.

The reason they should have refused here is that you would now be able to make a further purchase directly & would almost certainly get the credit!

• This reply was modified 54 years, 4 months ago by .
    Andrew J 769 posts

Amex did make it clear Paypal was viewed as a third party and the transaction was not eligible for the offer. However I was credited £50 as a one-off discretionary adjustment.

And of course it means the offer is probably still live on your account if you wanted to spend another £50 on your card (not by PayPal this time obviously).

rk1 47 posts

Amex made a note on my account to stop the offer being used before July 1st after the credit was made.

WoodyYork 27 posts

I just did the same thing and used PayPal to check out a couple of weeks ago.

Chased the refund using online chat and only managed to get a £15 credit. Disappointed as I only really spent at HN because of the offer. Surprised at their lack of ability to override and give me £50 credit manually.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.