Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum offer

• mhuk01 39 posts

I’m looking at applying for the Platinum card in early October, as we go to abroad for 3 weeks in November and can take advantage of the hotel and dining credits whilst there.

My question is how soon after applying and getting the card will I be able to use all the offers (ie airport lounge, dining credit, Harvey Nics, hotel credit etc?)

Also how soon after the 6k bonus trigger will the 60k points be applied, as we would probably cancel the card for pro rata refund in December.. We plan to reach the 6k spend fairly quickly by paying off a large tax bill (using BillHop).

Thanks for your help.

Carlos 758 posts

Lounge passes are sent after the card in the post, dining credit and harvery nics credits are available in a few days via the offers page
    the 60k will either be posted a few days after the 6k spend, but may take 30-90 days as advised by CS, other hotel benefits will be available via the portal when you log in

December sounds do-able for you.

aseftel 269 posts

Don’t forget though that the dining and Harvey Nicks benefits reset based on calendar year. It’s probably better value to stick it out until January.

polly 289 posts

@Carlos
    Think they’re better off going for it before the hols, do the spend, even the foreign restaurant spend. Check if any restaurants are included in offer where you are heading. Then maybe in Dec, use the U.K. restaurant spend and HN. Then in January, get the next years lot, in January it resets, use the HN, and U.K. restaurant allowance. Are you abroad early 23, maybe able to use that lot up.. and perhaps you can use the Amex travel £200 benefit also, both sides of Jan 1st.
    We hope to follow that strategy if l can upgrade my gold charge card. Probably hold it for 4 or 5 months.

mhuk01 39 posts

@Carlos
    Think they’re better off going for it before the hols, do the spend, even the foreign restaurant spend. Check if any restaurants are included in offer where you are heading. Then maybe in Dec, use the U.K. restaurant spend and HN. Then in January, get the next years lot, in January it resets, use the HN, and U.K. restaurant allowance. Are you abroad early 23, maybe able to use that lot up.. and perhaps you can use the Amex travel £200 benefit also, both sides of Jan 1st.
    We hope to follow that strategy if l can upgrade my gold charge card. Probably hold it for 4 or 5 months.

Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking I can open a free membership rewards card before closing the Platinum, and transfer the points across so nothing lost?

Good tip to keep it going until Jan!

jayjay 74 posts

I just signed up recently (yet to receive the card). I’ve been able to get the hotel status benefit pretty quickly – but cant see any offers on the Amex app yet, guessing these only show once the card has been activated.

Make sure you get the Platinum before the 24th of Oct, there’s an amazing bonus out there. I’ve been recommended to keep it till January too.

Re. your last question about MR points. I think any free Amex card will allow you to keep the MR account active.

AnotherUser 181 posts

In terms of lounge access, if you phone Priority Pass after you have your amex they can set you up with a digital pass in app (I had to do it because my Priority Pass card was lost in the post). Can’t promise how soon after getting the card you can do it, though

Bongobongo 5 posts

How long after receiving the Platinum does it take for the lounge pass to follow?
    I’m travelling in a couple of weeks and the lounge pass will come in handy..

lordy 51 posts

Normally takes 2 weeks, but you can in theory call them up and they will validate it for you sooner and you can use digital one

Luca M 391 posts

With regards to offers appearing to your new platinum card, it does indeed take a while, so for the dining credit (I did so myself when the promo first came out unofficially) and potentially for the Harvey Nichols deal, you can call CS to get it assigned manually to your account.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.