Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Amex Platinum Priority Pass Gatwick South – Grain Store

• jeanlw 9 posts

Wondering if anyone who has Priority Pass membership via Amex Platinum has used the Lounge alternative Grain store at Gatwick South? Typically it gives the main member £15 credit (and potentially another £15 for a ‘guest’?) If I have a supp card, would it also be another £15 + £15?

I called Priority Pass to enquire and was told membership via Amex does not include lounge alternatives at all so basically £0 at Grain Store.

Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

cats_are_best 98 posts

I’ve used it, but it was a long time ago.

According to this page on the PP website it is still one of the remaining locations with the £15 credit on Amex-linked PP…

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/programchange?sourcecode=TAG08&currency=GBP&tagrid=55501057

…of course it’s possible the page is out of date.

If you login to your PP account, does it list it as a benefit?

ChasP 155 posts

My daughter got 2x £15 credits at the Grain store in August

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,199 posts

Grain Store is the ONLY retaurant in the world where Amex-issued Priority Pass customers can go. You’re fine.

George K 288 posts

Have done this – you can double your allowance with another PP card from your supplementary cardholder

All the best

jeanlw 9 posts

Yay! Thanks so much for helping to confirm. I actually spoke to 2 different reps on PP customer service line and both said No… Hmmm….

In terms of getting the Guest allowance, do I just advise them of my entitlement and they would automatically knock off £15+15 off the bill and like I said, I also have a Supp card, so that means, I am walking in and expecting £60 off my bill? I mean walking in as a family of 4 that is (I am the main cardholder, my husband has the Supp and we have 2 kids). If its that straightforward, that’s pretty nuts! In a good way!

Michael C 666 posts

Yay! Thanks so much for helping to confirm. I actually spoke to 2 different reps on PP customer service line and both said No… Hmmm….

In terms of getting the Guest allowance, do I just advise them of my entitlement and they would automatically knock off £15+15 off the bill and like I said, I also have a Supp card, so that means, I am walking in and expecting £60 off my bill? I mean walking in as a family of 4 that is (I am the main cardholder, my husband has the Supp and we have 2 kids). If its that straightforward, that’s pretty nuts! In a good way!

I’m reading it that way — but do you need to split the bill between the two cards in that case?

George K 288 posts

That’s exactly right. You get £30 as your PP allowance is cardholder plus guest. Supplementary cardholder has an extra guest, so two cards can get £60 in total.

aso40 54 posts

This is a good example of why looking at the PP app or website for Amex Plat access is not very helpful – just refer to the lounge listing in the Amex app under “Membership”. If you search for LGW, it confirms the full details for the Grain Store, including guest allowance.

Mankhool 32 posts

It needs to be dine in and no take away .To use the guest credit the guest needs to be in the restaurant and not in lounge or elsewhere in the airport.

aso40 54 posts

It needs to be dine in and no take away .To use the guest credit the guest needs to be in the restaurant and not in lounge or elsewhere in the airport.

That must have changed as used to include take away. They kept a PP terminal at the takeaway counter specifically for this.

The terms just say “any meal and/or drinks in a single transaction”.

Matt 320 posts

I’ve not been since pre-Covid, but my wife and I were able to ask them to charge each of our cards for member + guest, so £60 in total.

jonny_ 13 posts

Thanks for the info hadn’t noticed this one.

Which other lounge in South terminal is recommended with amex platinum?

jeanlw 9 posts

Thats great, thanks. i shall give it a go and report back! IN Feb…

Mankhool 32 posts

I agree before covid we could do takeaway for 60 Pounds even though we are just three of us (One daughter).Last August me and my daughter were sitting in the No1 lounge and was wife was only allowed to use 15GBP on the PP. Even when me and my daughter did turn up at the restaurant ,Wife wasn’t allowed to allow to use our credit as we didn’t dine in.

cats_are_best 98 posts

The PP lounges are listed here (you need to choose south terminal as it defaults to north)…

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/lounges/united-kingdom/london-gatwick

I’m usually on BA at LGW so haven’t used a LGW PP lounge for ages, probably No 1 would be first choice, with the other two about the same. There’s also the No1 ‘Clubrooms’, but that’s PP plus money.

These days it’s probably more a matter of which will let you in with PP.

bruinbrown 59 posts

The Club Aspire lounge and Clubrooms are both closed until further notice. Your options are either the No 1 lounge or the MyLounge, but the MyLounge option is only open between 7AM and 2PM.

Ash 621 posts

All you do is pay with your Amex card and get £60 credit? (1 Platinum card, 1 Platinum Supplementary, plus guest for each)…but you have to have 4 people seated at the table to get the £60

No sign ups or special conditions?

Anyone know if this is one time use in each calender or membership year?

Flying out of Gatwick March and July – would be great to use the £60 credit twice!

BuildBackBetter 705 posts

The PP lounges are listed here (you need to choose south terminal as it defaults to north)…

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/lounges/united-kingdom/london-gatwick

I’m usually on BA at LGW so haven’t used a LGW PP lounge for ages, probably No 1 would be first choice, with the other two about the same. There’s also the No1 ‘Clubrooms’, but that’s PP plus money.

These days it’s probably more a matter of which will let you in with PP.

For checking lounges on a PP linked to Amex plat, always use the Amex website. The PP website is primarily for the packages they sell directly and may include options not available to Amex cardholders.

Guernsey Globetrotter 585 posts

All you do is pay with your Amex card and get £60 credit? (1 Platinum card, 1 Platinum Supplementary, plus guest for each)…but you have to have 4 people seated at the table to get the £60

No sign ups or special conditions?

Anyone know if this is one time use in each calender or membership year?

Flying out of Gatwick March and July – would be great to use the £60 credit twice!

As per the post after yours, you can also find the LGW Grain Store term details in the Amex website or app. If you have PP via Amex Plat then it should be unlimited visits, so no reason you can’t do it twice.

aso40 54 posts

All you do is pay with your Amex card and get £60 credit?

No, you use your Priority Pass, which they scan in the same way as if entering a lounge then give you a discount on the bill. They also used to allow you to charge as many guests as you wanted regardless of how many people are actually there, but sounds like they have tightened up.

jeanlw 9 posts

I did it and it worked. Present the cards upon entry, they scan each card and you get a little docket indicating 1 +1 guest per card. So I had 2 dockets indicating that (ie representing 4 persons entering). Present the dockets when you settle the bill and that’s a total of £60 off the bill. I believe its unlimited too, for each time you fly out of Gatwick! Thanks everyone for helping out on this one!

Skywalker 693 posts

I did it and it worked. Present the cards upon entry, they scan each card and you get a little docket indicating 1 +1 guest per card. So I had 2 dockets indicating that (ie representing 4 persons entering). Present the dockets when you settle the bill and that’s a total of £60 off the bill. I believe its unlimited too, for each time you fly out of Gatwick! Thanks everyone for helping out on this one!

Great tips! Thanks 😁

jimboandthejetset 20 posts

That must have changed as used to include take away. They kept a PP terminal at the takeaway counter specifically for this.

The terms just say “any meal and/or drinks in a single transaction”.

Is the prohibition on takeaway definitely still in place? Flying in a couple of weeks and it would be v helpful to get plane snacks if we can takeaway…

Blair Waldorf Salad 1,084 posts

Yes it definitely used to allow for spend on takeaway too. Maybe indicate you’d like to use on takeaway but wanted to check in advance how you’d leave a tip in that case, as you’d like to. They may be restricting to dine-in only as they squeeze some more juice out of you in the form of tips.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.