Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Frequent flyer programs Virgin Flying Club ANA – Domestic flights in Japan – 7,500 points + £4.40

• Stephen 48 posts

Hello,

Just booked a domestic flight in Japan (Tokyo to Osaka) with ANA using Virgin Atlantic points, really good value at 7,500 points + £4.40 (one way)

Has anyone been able to add these domestic flights onto an existing booking (e.g. LHR -> HND -> ITM) to get the missed connection protection?

Thanks,

JDB 4,341 posts

Sounds like a good deal. Even if an airline wished to take on the liability for your connection (which they obviously don’t), it is not physically possible to merge bookings. Bookings can be split, but not merged. However, assuming both flights are on NH, at check in they may be willing to check your bags through and they will definitely assist in the event of a missed connection more than European airlines.

ThriceForgiven 59 posts

Hello,

Just booked a domestic flight in Japan (Tokyo to Osaka) with ANA using Virgin Atlantic points, really good value at 7,500 points + £4.40 (one way)

Has anyone been able to add these domestic flights onto an existing booking (e.g. LHR -> HND -> ITM) to get the missed connection protection?

Thanks,

Was it easy to book these flights? Through the website/app or phone? How did you verify availability?

BJ 657 posts

Taking in the value of the miles it’s still much cheaper than the train but due to risk of missed connection I think I’d still prefer just to arrive, go to the station and get the next Nozomi to Shin-Osaka in 2.5h. At best you’re probably going to wait 2h at Haneda for connection and then spend around 1h+ getting from KIX to your hotel anyway.

Stephen 48 posts

Hello,

Thanks,

Was it easy to book these flights? Through the website/app or phone? How did you verify availability?

Can only book these over the phone with Virgin – they have no easy way to search availability so have to check flight by flight

meta 1,426 posts

Taking in the value of the miles it’s still much cheaper than the train but due to risk of missed connection I think I’d still prefer just to arrive, go to the station and get the next Nozomi to Shin-Osaka in 2.5h. At best you’re probably going to wait 2h at Haneda for connection and then spend around 1h+ getting from KIX to your hotel anyway.

It’s ITM, so right in the city. You’re at Shin-Osaka in 20 min.

It’s about £90 one-way on shinkansen at the moment, so plane is slightly cheaper. However, I do also prefer the train even if you can arrive just 30 min before boarding for domestics.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.