Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Forums Payment cards American Express Any supp bonus posted before 90 days without chasing?

• alig4th 322 posts

I know there’s an “AMEX CS/IT failures” thread already, but just seeking data points on this specific issue:

Has ANYONE had an additional card bonus credit in the (what used-to-be-normal) 4-5 days recently?

Or before the “up to 90 days” that the T&C says it can take “in rare circumstances”(!) without having to chase?

Or are all SUPP bonuses only posting after chasing after the 90 days?

And anyone ever had a CS agent tell them what exact “rare circumstance” led to the credit taking “up to 90 days” and/or not posting within the 90 days at all?

Because from my own extended family alone, not one out of 14 SUPP bonuses have posted within 90 days and all required chasing, and the best “reason” for this anyone got from a CS agent was “sometimes there are issues”…

Is AMEX in breach of its T&C by not posting the points within 90 days and needing us to waste our time chasing up what’s been offered to us? And, as such, are we within our rights to ask for compensation? (Any lawyers on here want to take this up…?)

SteveJ 979 posts

In at least the last 8 months (probably longer) I have had to chase for this to be posted. When chased pre 90 days always told to wait. When chased after 90 days they apply immediately.

When challenged all they’d share was they’d had a “technical issue”. Would not offer any additional points for my inconvenience either.

It’s a major glitch and shameful they’ve not fixed it in so long. I am convinced it’s deliberate as many would forget and they’re saving themselves 000s of points.

Rob
    HfP Staff
    2,202 posts

No sign of my 5k for Sinead’s Bus Plat which I added before Christmas – we paid the £285 fee for that one too.

alig4th 322 posts

Rob: any insight from your relationship with Amex as to what is going on, either with the IT/technical issue and/or wherever there’s something more deliberate going on? If the latter, they should really change the T&C because otherwise one would assume they’re in breach?

alig4th 322 posts

And if it’s a genuine known IT issue, why:
    a) are we being told to wait 90 days when they know full well it won’t credit
    b) don’t they just credit it when first contacted?

Roberto 283 posts

I was told I had to wait 90 days. I pointed out it was already over 100 days and they asked me to wait another 10 BUSINESS days to get it resolved. Its not.

In the old days the CS agent would have added them when on the phone.

GillyDee 92 posts

I applied for a Supp shortly after getting my Plat. The supp bonus was posted together with my SUB the day after I reached the required spend (£6k) – about 60 days.

alig4th 322 posts

I applied for a Supp shortly after getting my Plat. The supp bonus was posted together with my SUB the day after I reached the required spend (£6k) – about 60 days.

Interesting, thanks for the data point – first positive suggestion that you don’t have to chase it (but still not happening like it used to; i.e. you’d normally get the bonus before the SUPP card had even landed on the doorstep)

Ladyshopper 110 posts

I’m on day 79 here I think, and no sign. I’ll phone up on day 90, albeit I’m a little bit wary of them asking me if I have proof of the 3000 points offer for a supp card (gold card), as I’ve seen them do that for other things. Is there somewhere it actually says about the points for adding a supp card holder, as I can’t find it anywhere?

Referrals seem to be fine though, I referred my husband for a BA Premium 2 days ago, and I’ve already had the points.

alig4th 322 posts

Is there somewhere it actually says about the points for adding a supp card holder, as I can’t find it anywhere?.

Really annoys me when CS agents ask this: it’s literally one of the regular benefits that’s been around for ages and it’s right there on the website:

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/supplementary-cards/

Really suggests that the non-UK CS reps are really not getting the training about the company’s products!

JDB 4,384 posts

Isn’t one of the reasons that some of these supp bonuses aren’t posting that they don’t comply with the terms? eg on Gold “ You may apply for several Supplementary Cards but you will only receive the 3,000 Membership Rewards points for the first approved Card. You will not receive this bonus if you have ever received it before.”

My wife got a Gold supp for me when they had the 3k + 3k promotion last autumn and the first posted within a day and the second within three days of spending the required £500, but she had never had a supp on that card before.

alig4th 322 posts

My mum chased on chat yesterday. Apparently the rep was in India (mum asked). Rep said, as it’s been over 90 days they need to send it to back office, guaranteed 2-3 working days for the points. Apparently made a song and dance about doubting it would be done by then and asked, if it didn’t post by the “guaranteed” time, how to make a complaint and how much compensation she would get…

The points posted within 3 hours!

AndyF 6 posts

Isn’t one of the reasons that some of these supp bonuses aren’t posting that they don’t comply with the terms? eg on Gold “ You may apply for several Supplementary Cards but you will only receive the 3,000 Membership Rewards points for the first approved Card. You will not receive this bonus if you have ever received it before.”

My wife got a Gold supp for me when they had the 3k + 3k promotion last autumn and the first posted within a day and the second within three days of spending the required £500, but she had never had a supp on that card before.

I’m still waiting on this and I chased in December. I had to uploaded proof of my eligibility by uploading documents. I also had a double bonus points offer for referrals around the same time, I think in September. I’m going to put in an actual complaint next week, why it takes 6 months to post 9k points is beyond me. Apparently it’s in the back office being looked at.

Ladyshopper 110 posts

I’ve just contacted Amex via live chat, as it’s been 93 days and no supp bonus appeared. The chat person added the points on immediately, and I could view them whilst still on chat.

Not happy that I had to chase, but at least it was done there and then once I did.

Rich_A 92 posts

Thanks for the reminder.

Sadly, not completed during the chat for me. I was told ‘8-10 weeks’ then ‘it will be sent to the relevant department within 5-7 working days’ and then ‘the points will be credited within a week’ – all within about two minutes from one operator! Quite impressive.

SteveJ 979 posts

Another data point. Added supp to BAPP via the special link for 3k points.

90 days passes, contacted on chat on day 91 and they add the points manually. Long standing issue at Amex.

Roberto 283 posts

Mine turned up 121 days later.
    Started chasing at day 90.
    Not like the old days

Entitled 68 posts

Having been through this before I used the chat around day 45 to capture a written record of my request for the points. I received the standard 90 day response and used this as leverage to have the points manually added via the chat on day 91. The chat can and will do it for you. Just do not take no for an answer.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

The UK's biggest frequent flyer website uses cookies, which you can block via your browser settings. Continuing implies your consent to this policy. Our privacy policy is here.